Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-14-2022, 07:43 PM   #16
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Born in the 40s, I grew up with all those classic pulp and paperback covers, and yes, in the 60s and 70s especially, they sold me a lot of books with those great covers.

Now my old eyes have me stuck with ebooks, but I bring the covers back -- I love to find some of the old classics, mystery & scifi, that I haven't read or would like to re-read. I edit just about every book I get to suit my vision needs. And while I'm at it, I find the old covers and put them in the book. I've got literally hundreds of books with an "alt covers" file. And some of them, like Philip K. Dick, seem to have more covers than text sometimes.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:30 PM   #17
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
New covers on old books is often due to the loss of control of the cover image. Copyright rights have reverted not just to authors after 35 years. I believe that law includes covers which were separate from the book (unlike illustrations within a book). In many cases, covers were work-for-hire, so owned by the publisher. Now the author is republishing elsewhere, but the cover didn't come along with the rights.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2022, 08:43 PM   #18
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
New covers on old books is often due to the loss of control of the cover image. Copyright rights have reverted not just to authors after 35 years. I believe that law includes covers which were separate from the book (unlike illustrations within a book). In many cases, covers were work-for-hire, so owned by the publisher. Now the author is republishing elsewhere, but the cover didn't come along with the rights.
I've seen so many books with beautiful painted covers replaced with crappy stock photos for this reason.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:09 PM   #19
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post

If a book is really old, it may not be just rights control, it might involve actually FINDING a nice condition cover to scan if one had the rights. Which often isn't easy for older, out-of-print titles. Nor cheap if a title is scarce.

At any rate, it's sad, because often, the old covers were lovely and create that certain nostalgia about a title. So I too wish more of the old art could be attached to new ebooks. But it's not likely to happen very often in today's world.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:25 PM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
And some modern covers are fantastic. I really like the cover of N.K. Jemisin's The Cities We Became, for example, or P. Djèlí Clark's A Master of Djinn, or Sorrowland (Rivers Solomon). Or any cover by Kathleen Jennings, but especially Flyaway. Okorafor's Lagoon. The art on Ada Palmer's and Arkady Martine's covers and the Murderbot books, which are definitely better in person. Even the perhaps more workmanlike covers of the James S.A. Corey and Adrian Tchaikovsky and Cixin Liu books are pretty good, I think, a modern take on classic SF covers telling you the books do what they say on the tin.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2022, 04:42 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
At least Standard E-Books uses public-domain artwork for covers, rather than random geometric patterns...
It's just a shame their code is a mess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:20 AM   #22
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
And some modern covers are fantastic. I really like the cover of N.K. Jemisin's The Cities We Became, for example, or P. Djèlí Clark's A Master of Djinn, or Sorrowland (Rivers Solomon). Or any cover by Kathleen Jennings, but especially Flyaway. Okorafor's Lagoon. The art on Ada Palmer's and Arkady Martine's covers and the Murderbot books, which are definitely better in person. Even the perhaps more workmanlike covers of the James S.A. Corey and Adrian Tchaikovsky and Cixin Liu books are pretty good, I think, a modern take on classic SF covers telling you the books do what they say on the tin.

Thanks for mentioning hers, I love them. Many of Aliette de Bodard's too
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:45 AM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
I wanted to make it clear that it wasn't just a "things were better in my day" post, because I was born in the late 80's and I feel like the trend was already turning towards the generic by the time I was reading books. I genuinely think the older covers looked more interesting.
Maybe. But to be honest, almost all the old Neuromancer covers were ugly. I also dislike science fiction covers that just show a spaceship.

Some of my favorite covers were the Arthur C. Clarke covers from the mid-80's. Those were classy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fa33999f2b15c3b593165715341444341587343_v5.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	197772   Click image for larger version

Name:	5afa49442f7ca13597a4d465367444341587343_v5.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	197773   Click image for larger version

Name:	82ea5ee79eef32f59776e345367444341587343_v5.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	197775   Click image for larger version

Name:	319ace0034d6749597733345367444341587343_v5.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	197776  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:50 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
...I too wish more of the old art could be attached to new ebooks. But it's not likely to happen very often in today's world.
It's called Calibre and a good image editor (on Windows, I like the free Paint.NET). You can add whatever cover you want. I love the lurid old '80's horror covers. Thankfully, many of those authors have put out ebooks. But the new covers range from dull to embarrassing.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-15-2022 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:52 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I really like the cover for Children of Blood and Bone (more than I liked the book, as it turns out).
Old 11-15-2022, 09:17 PM   #26
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I really like the cover for Children of Blood and Bone (more than I liked the book, as it turns out).
I haven't read that yet, but you're right, the cover is very striking. The Binti covers are great, too.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:39 PM   #27
allanahk
Connoisseur
allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I agree that many modern book covers are overly simplistic with blocky colours and tend to be fairly boring and unrelated to the book contents. On the other hand, some older book covers are clearly meant to be displayed in colour and appear as an unfortunate hodgepodge of grey on an ereader screen.

I generally don't buy physical books anymore, and for ebooks I enjoy having the book cover displayed as a screensaver on my kobo, so a nice cover is relatively important.

If I get an ebook with a horrific cover I like using the Penguin Classics Cover Generator to create a new cover and update the ebook in Calibre (where the generated image is solely for my personal use of course).

For example, I didn't like any of the covers available for Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges so I made my own with a quickly googled image of a maze. Not particularly inventive, but considering it only took about 1 min total to make then it's not bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	labyrinths.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	197829  

Last edited by allanahk; 11-16-2022 at 09:15 PM. Reason: added example pic
allanahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:48 AM   #28
teamug
I like buttons!
teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT (Graphite&2012), Kobo Libra 2, Moaan Mix7, InkPalm 5
Generally the trend for many new books (not re-releases of older ones) are covers with very simple art, usually quite colorful, and the title in written huge letters all over the covers. I've read somewhere that this is due to e-commerce; no matter if you buy the print version or ebook version, you are most likely going to be seeing the cover by scrolling an online list of very small thumbnails of the covers, so the title needs to be readable at that small size.

I like many modern covers, but some are just lazy. A simple cover is okay, but it needs to not look like you paid someone on Fiverr $1 to do it.

The old style scifi covers appeal to me, a young person, on account of their retro charm, but I have no problem at all understanding why covers for new books don't look that way anymore.
teamug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The author is in biggest letters, series in next biggest and maybe title smaller than "plaudits" if the author is well known.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 08:40 PM   #30
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It's called Calibre and a good image editor (on Windows, I like the free Paint.NET). You can add whatever cover you want. I love the lurid old '80's horror covers. Thankfully, many of those authors have put out ebooks. But the new covers range from dull to embarrassing.
A couple of Art Museums have publicly released low-res images of most of their collection, with the idea that individuals and groups will purchase high-res images to use for their marketing.

Those low res images are suitable for ebook covers, albeit probably not a good idea to share them with third parties.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote