Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2022, 07:47 PM   #16
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Something a little odd with the new RK fonts. I have Rakuten Serif selected, as shown in image 1, but when I click on the "Advanced" tab, the font changes, as in image 2. I have to select Rakuten Serif. Does anyone know why this might be happening?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rk.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	196658   Click image for larger version

Name:	stix.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	196659  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:10 PM   #17
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Since they were so kind, some info on the new fonts (via fontdrop.info):

Rakuten Serif v3.000
  • Designer: Dalton Maag Ltd
  • 101 Languages: Belarusian Bosnian Bulgarian Chechen Macedonian Russian Serbian Afrikaans Albanian Asturian Asu Basque Bemba Bena Breton Catalan Chiga Colognian Cornish Croatian Czech Danish Dutch Embu English Estonian Faroese Filipino Finnish French Friulian Galician Ganda German Gusii Hungarian Inari Sami Indonesian Irish Italian Jola-Fonyi Kabuverdianu Kalaallisut Kalenjin Kamba Kikuyu Kinyarwanda Latvian Lithuanian Lower Sorbian Luo Luxembourgish Luyia Machame Makhuwa-Meetto Makonde Malagasy Maltese Manx Meru Morisyen Northern Sami North Ndebele Norwegian Bokmål Norwegian Nynorsk Nyankole Oromo Polish Portuguese Quechua Romanian Romansh Rombo Rundi Rwa Samburu Sango Sangu Scottish Gaelic Sena Serbian Shambala Shona Slovak Soga Somali Spanish Swahili Swedish Swiss German Taita Teso Turkish Upper Sorbian Uzbek (Latin) Volapük Vunjo Walser Welsh Western Frisian Zulu
  • 678 glyphs and 502 binary stored kerning pairs
  • 0 Ligatures

Rakuten Sans v.2.200
  • Designer: Dalton Maag Ltd
  • 101 Languages: Belarusian Bosnian Bulgarian Chechen Macedonian Russian Serbian Afrikaans Albanian Asturian Asu Basque Bemba Bena Breton Catalan Chiga Colognian Cornish Croatian Czech Danish Dutch Embu English Estonian Faroese Filipino Finnish French Friulian Galician Ganda German Gusii Hungarian Inari Sami Indonesian Irish Italian Jola-Fonyi Kabuverdianu Kalaallisut Kalenjin Kamba Kikuyu Kinyarwanda Latvian Lithuanian Lower Sorbian Luo Luxembourgish Luyia Machame Makhuwa-Meetto Makonde Malagasy Maltese Manx Meru Morisyen Northern Sami North Ndebele Norwegian Bokmål Norwegian Nynorsk Nyankole Oromo Polish Portuguese Quechua Romanian Romansh Rombo Rundi Rwa Samburu Sango Sangu Scottish Gaelic Sena Serbian Shambala Shona Slovak Soga Somali Spanish Swahili Swedish Swiss German Taita Teso Turkish Upper Sorbian Uzbek (Latin) Volapük Vunjo Walser Welsh Western Frisian Zulu
  • 687 glyphs and 502 binary stored kerning pairs
  • 40 Ligatures

Weird that Rakuten Serif has no ligatures but Rakuten Sans does. Although that might be a bug with fontdrop too as maybe the Small Figures feature of Rakuten Serif Regular is throwing things off (scanning the Bold version shows 44 ligatures and no Small Figures, so I'm leaning towards fontdrop bug, I think. Either that, or there really is something wrong with the Regular version of the font).

Last edited by rtiangha; 09-20-2022 at 08:37 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2022, 08:21 PM   #18
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Kernel fix to address battery capacity issues
This seems concerning. I wonder which models are affected by the change...
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:29 PM   #19
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It'll be nice to see the new fonts on the reader, but I like many others will be waiting for patches. 4.33 runs well enough for my Sage and uses.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:31 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The Sage is notorious for its poor battery life.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2022, 10:02 PM   #21
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Patches are done.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:11 PM   #22
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And the Sage kernel wasn't updated (unless I'm misremembering the date of the current build) ;p.

(The Elipsa was, though).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:28 AM   #23
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's what I meant. Is this intended just to fix the Sage, or will it have implications for other models, too?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:13 AM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Sage and Elipsa are the two models that come to mind as the likely culprits.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:36 AM   #25
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Something a little odd with the new RK fonts. I have Rakuten Serif selected, as shown in image 1, but when I click on the "Advanced" tab, the font changes, as in image 2. I have to select Rakuten Serif. Does anyone know why this might be happening?
I just updated my Libra 2 and patched the fw with geek1101's patches.

The fonts work fine on my Libra 2. I tested it immediately after the update to see if I can replicate what you experienced.

BTW, the fonts look like this: https://global.rakuten.com/corp/desi...ets/img/kv.svg

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 09-21-2022 at 02:51 AM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:05 AM   #26
UCCU666
Enthusiast
UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma/Elipsa/Clara 2E/Libra 2, mooInk Plus 2, Pubook Pro 10.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
look nice

ENG
https://global.rakuten.com/corp/design/rakuten-font/

JAP
https://corp.rakuten.co.jp/design/rakuten-font/
UCCU666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:11 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Weird that Rakuten Serif has no ligatures but Rakuten Sans does. Although that might be a bug with fontdrop too as maybe the Small Figures feature of Rakuten Serif Regular is throwing things off (scanning the Bold version shows 44 ligatures and no Small Figures, so I'm leaning towards fontdrop bug, I think. Either that, or there really is something wrong with the Regular version of the font).
I took a look at Rakuten Serif with FontForge and it does show ligatures.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:12 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Patches are done.
Thank you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:56 AM   #29
gabryele
Connoisseur
gabryele began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura one
Quote:
• Reading a few books at once? Swipe down while you're reading to easily switch between your 3 most recently viewed items.
it is not explained very well.
I had to try several times to find it.
the menu in-reading must first be opened and then the new symbol appears at the top center.

Last edited by gabryele; 09-21-2022 at 04:59 AM.
gabryele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:04 AM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabryele View Post
it is not explained very well.
I had to try several times to find it.
the menu in-reading must first be opened and then the new symbol appears at the top center.
I tried it and no menu was needed - just swiped down while in a book and there it was.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release