Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-24-2022, 09:14 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The device will see your WiFi; it just won’t autoconnect.
But if you make the password something you won't remember, then you'll have to go look it up to enter it.

The other solution is to register the device and then go into the router and block the MAC ID.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:08 PM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Or don't have wifi AT ALL and keep your device in permanent aeroplane mode. You can register most devices through the usb. I recently did this with a new Libra 2.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'm a bad, judgmental jerk. But I read threads like this and think: maybe an ereader isn't right for you. Just read a book. At some point, personal responsibility/self control comes in to the picture.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:28 PM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you make the password something you won't remember, then you'll have to go look it up to enter it.

The other solution is to register the device and then go into the router and block the MAC ID.
I use passwords so big for wifi they are in a locked away booklet and impossible to remember. You can either change the WiFi point temporarily to register or have the Kobo forget that WiFi, or change WiFi afterwards.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:48 PM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm a bad, judgmental jerk. But I read threads like this and think: maybe an ereader isn't right for you. Just read a book. At some point, personal responsibility/self control comes in to the picture.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Unless we are talking about an adult with developmental challenges, or other medical issues that make "self-control" impossible.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2022, 08:48 PM   #21
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
I read threads like this and wonder if the person asking does find an ereader with no built-in distractions, what about all the other distractions in their home? Are they going to completely turn off the phone, computer, TV, etc.? If those potential distractions are still on and available, how will having a simple ereader help?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:09 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I read threads like this and wonder if the person asking does find an ereader with no built-in distractions, what about all the other distractions in their home? Are they going to completely turn off the phone, computer, TV, etc.? If those potential distractions are still on and available, how will having a simple ereader help?
The most distraction free room in the house is the bathroom.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:40 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
The most distraction free room in the house is the bathroom.
Not in mine. The moment I close the door, my youngest cat is behind it, whining and demanding to be let in... even when he was deeply asleep the moment before.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not in mine. The moment I close the door, my youngest cat is behind it, whining and demanding to be let in... even when he was deeply asleep the moment before.
Sometimes when I do go to the bathroom my dog wants to come with me. And sometimes when I'm in the bathroom, he wants in.

But even with him in the bathroom, it's still a quiet room.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-24-2022 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Accidentally was in editing. My apologies, Jon.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:33 PM   #25
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
This is me as well.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 02:00 AM   #26
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Wow, this became pretty judgmental. I don't think the OP was blaming the ereader or the Amazon store, just saying that for him, it was all too easy to get distracted by the store. He was just asking if other readers might make it easier for him to ignore that and focus on reading. He's identified a problem he has and is seeking help, not blaming.

Who knows, maybe he does have ADD or some other difficulty with attention span. Either way, telling him to have self-control is rather condescending IMO.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 05:59 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
Wow, this became pretty judgmental.
Well, I did start this with:
Quote:
I'm a bad, judgmental jerk...
And also waited until other answers were given and the thread was at least three weeks old with no further response from the OP.

But when it comes to discussions of turning off the WiFi and then hiding the password from yourself... well... my comment stands for itself.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:32 AM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Sometimes when I do go to the bathroom my dog wants to come with me. And sometimes when I'm in the bathroom, he wants in.

But even with him in the bathroom, it's still a quiet room.

When I'm reading in the bathroom, I'm often distracted by barking dogs, coughing, phlegm-clearing, flatulence, whistling, and other assorted distracting noises. And then I realize I'm the one causing the distraction.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:26 PM   #29
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
It's unfortunate that the OP hasn't returned to add clarity to the discussion. Maybe they do have a particular reason for needing the ereader itself to be distraction free, rather than avoiding distractions in general.

Seems like we'll never know. They've done a post-and-run.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:06 AM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
When I'm reading in the bathroom, I'm often distracted by barking dogs, coughing, phlegm-clearing, flatulence, whistling, and other assorted distracting noises. And then I realize I'm the one causing the distraction.
So you take the phrase barking mad literally?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote