Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2022, 03:06 PM   #16
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It’s just large thumbnails
Oh dang. That's a no-go for me. That's gonna be hard to tell what books is what number in the series. At least on my Kindle app, there's still the option of switching between grid and list inside a collection.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:19 PM   #17
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Looks like they have taken away the visual representation of book lengths in list view.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2022, 07:15 PM   #18
wireman
wireman began at the beginning.

Device: PW 11th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Looks like they have taken away the visual representation of book lengths in list view.
Don't know that it's strictly necessary, but it's still there.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:26 PM   #19
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's been 8 hours since I side loaded the new firmware and I still don't have the updated UI. I guess this is like the book cover thing and it's gonna take days to roll out.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:04 PM   #20
wireman
wireman began at the beginning.

Device: PW 11th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
It's been 8 hours since I side loaded the new firmware and I still don't have the updated UI. I guess this is like the book cover thing and it's gonna take days to roll out.
Probably so. I sideloaded it this morning, then enabled Wifi, synced and restarted and -- there it was! Kinda surprised me.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2022, 08:09 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Oh dang. That's a no-go for me. That's gonna be hard to tell what books is what number in the series. At least on my Kindle app, there's still the option of switching between grid and list inside a collection.
Quote:
If you are using Series Grouping this is not an issue, they’re always in List view (with item number shown). And when in a Series group, you also can apply the available filters. (In Kindle apps you can also use Grid view)
Edit 2/10: I wish we had strike through markup. The above is wrong: Collections and Series match the Library setting. So if you are in List view mode, so will the Collection or Series. If you are in Grid view mode (or Collection mode, which displays in a grid), the Collection or Series will display in a grid as well.

To have collections appear in List or Grid mode, of course, you need to have Collection setting (Device Options, Advanced Options, Home & Library) set to something other than Show only in Collections view.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-10-2022 at 11:50 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:38 PM   #22
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
If you are using Series Grouping this is not an issue, they’re always in List view (with item number shown). And when in a Series group, you also can apply the available filters. (In Kindle apps you can also use Grid view)

But I agree you should be able to use List view when in a collection (let’s have it in the Kindle apps, too).

[edit:] Fire/Android Kindle apps do offer List view in collections. The iOS app does not.
Series Grouping only works for books purchased directly from Amazon, right? I sideload all my books using send to kindle so they're all in docs format and I don't even know what series grouping looks like
Old 02-09-2022, 08:53 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Series Grouping only works for books purchased directly from Amazon, right? I sideload all my books using send to kindle so they're all in docs format and I don't even know what series grouping looks like
Yep it does not work with side-loading.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:57 PM   #24
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Yep it does not work with side-loading.
The rip my collection, I guess

I hope the update it and make list view available. It kinda doesn't make sense that it isn't.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:08 AM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

There is a new Setting for Collections. Options are:

- Show only in Collections view
- Show favorites in Library (“collections marked with a star” — they used to call these ‘downloaded’)
- Show all in Library

It seems if you have any Favorite collections it will choose the second of these options (replicating the previous behavior). If you don’t have any, it defaults to the first of the options (replicating the behavior in the Kindle apps). The third option is like it was when collection feature first came out.

So you can do more customization than before.

Moreover, there is an Uncollected collection, that contains any items that are not in a collection you have defined. The Kindle apps have had this feature for awhile now.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-10-2022 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:29 AM   #26
escaner
escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th
So now in the Library you can no longer go to a specific page like before by tapping on the "1 of 15" or whatever you had? You need to slowly scroll all the way?
escaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:33 AM   #27
ck2875
ck2875 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by escaner View Post
So now in the Library you can no longer go to a specific page like before by tapping on the "1 of 15" or whatever you had? You need to slowly scroll all the way?
You can also drag the scroll bar down on the side. It’s much quicker than scrolling.
ck2875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:44 AM   #28
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck2875 View Post
You can also drag the scroll bar down on the side. It’s much quicker than scrolling.
The jump to page number dialog also allows jumping to an author by name by typing letters when the library is sorted by authors. Is that function still present or did the scroll bar replace it?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #29
ck2875
ck2875 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The jump to page number dialog also allows jumping to an author by name by typing letters when the library is sorted by authors. Is that function still present or did the scroll bar replace it?
Looks like Author sort is the same scroll bar. You do have options for ascending or descending, but are still reliant on dragging the scroll bar to quickly get anywhere.

It would be nice if they replaced the scroll bar with the list of letters like is used in the iOS app for Author sort.

ck2875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:23 AM   #30
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Adding books to collections is much, much quicker than before.

I like the update so far. I’m hoping they bring the progress bar back as well, I think they will.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote