Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-10-2022, 06:13 AM   #16
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Two solutions:
1) Use Magisk and don't touch /vendor or /system
By the way, just recently I was able to update with Onyx upx file, whereas my /system is a bit modified (Lock/Unlock sound files are swapped, and unzip binary is replaced). After the update I had to do these changes anyway.
I guess this is because that was a full update (1.1 GB+). Problem you mention should reveal on incremental updates, right?

P.S. I am sorry for off-topic, but is there a way to replace a system binary systemless-ly? Like, Magisk has system-less hosts file replacement.

The problem is that KOReader relies on unzip's encoding. On my Onyx's Android 10 the unzip binary is ancient and doesn't handle Cyrillic encoding. So I had to replace it by a fresher binary.
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:18 AM   #17
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
OK, sorry, I found an answer to my own question: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/g...-system-folder
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2022, 06:43 AM   #18
DogilD
DogilD began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 3
Quote:
Edit: If you're ok with wiping your data we can do that. That will work.
Do you have a Type C OTG adapter? We could use a flash drive, but you'd have to use some automated process.
Hello, USB Type C OTG Adapter will arrive tomorrow.
Yeah seems like it is encrypted now. So not sure how I can push the files now. I get adb access... now I just have to find a way to get it running again, without having a backup at hand but at least the update file as a zip.
DogilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:03 PM   #19
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
It's crude, it's rude, but it does what it should.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auto.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	192685  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:43 AM   #20
DogilD

Wow that looks great... so I have a usb stick, I have the OTG cable, I have Update.zip... so what should I do now, that it does as in that picture?
I guess I need to get update.zip on the usb stick (any special format for usb stick needed? like fat32? should it be on a special folder?)

My Thought
1. plug usb c to PC
2. use the File I got to boot into the adb able recovery mode
3. unplug Poke 3 from PC and plug usb stick with update.zip into poke 3
4. what is the next step? or am I completely wrong?
Advert
Old 03-12-2022, 09:33 AM   #21
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, first you need a new recovery from today. The link is in the PM that I sent you originally.

Take your decrypted update.zip (You have used DeBooxUpd.py on the .upd file, right?)
Put it on a flash drive in the root directory.
The flash drive should be formatted with normal "Windows FAT."

You just need to fastboot boot p9mod
It will have the splash screeen saying "Onyx".
Wait until it turns all white. (Even though your PC has bonged to show you that ADB is ready.)
Code:
C:\>adb shell
When you do the next step, keep your eye on the display. It should flash white/black/white. If it doesn't, stop right there.
Code:
# start ttyscreen
Next:
Code:
# start autoupdate
It should say "Waiting for flash..."
Disconnect the USB cable from your desktop.
Plug in the OTG adapter/flash drive and cross your fingers!
Within 3 seconds it should start automatically. Keep your eye on the display. Use a camera to capture any error messages. It may be that we have to add a symlink or something before we run the updater.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2022, 12:39 PM   #22
DogilD

did every step as mentioned, got the white black white screen as well...
got up to autoupdate and then I got this error message

line 6 col 146: unknown function "block_image_update...
line 10 col 146: unknown function "block_image_updat...
2 parse errors

PS: Yes I did use DeBooxUpx.py to create the update.zip from the poke 3 update.upx file
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Poke3 Error.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	192722  
Old 03-12-2022, 01:43 PM   #23
Renate
Wizard

Sorry, my bad. I stuck the wrong update-binary in there.

Load a new version of p9mod from the same URL, it should be 20,766,720 bytes.

Now that you know how it goes, you should be all set.

As I said, the only thing left *might* have to be a prop or a symlink.

Last edited by Renate; 03-12-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 04:00 PM   #24
DogilD

It worked! thank you so so soooo much.
Don't know how I ever can thank you for this.
testing if everything still works but seems like.
quick stupid question. can I now reboot and or turn the device off, or do I need to keep the device on?

anyway. thank you really much
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Poke 3 Works again.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	766.3 KB
ID:	192729  
Old 03-12-2022, 04:07 PM   #25
Renate
Wizard

THAT IS SO GREAT!
Thank you for following directions.
I really enjoy when this stuff works out.
I have a new update for my Nook Glow'21 and I will do it this way (just for fun).
Cheers!
Old 03-12-2022, 04:09 PM   #26
Renate
Wizard

THAT IS SO GREAT!
I have a new update for my Nook Glow'21 and I will do it this way (just for fun).
Cheers!

Oh, your device is back to normal and you can do what you want.
Without Magisk or something else it will overwrite recovery, so hang on to that last image that I sent you.
Old 03-12-2022, 04:31 PM   #27
DogilD

Quote:
THAT IS SO GREAT!
Thanks for the good directions.
Quote:
Hehe it is actually nice to see all that processing done on an e-ink screen.

Quote:
Oh, your device is back to normal and you can do what you want.
Without Magisk or something else it will overwrite recovery, so hang on to that last image that I sent you.
Sorry did not understand exactly. So you mean I should not use Magisk? Or you mean I should not use it root to deinstall apps anymore. Never will deinstall there anything anymore ^^"
I will keep that file for sure!!! thank you really so much...
Old 03-12-2022, 07:44 PM   #28
Renate
Wizard

Your device is 100% fine. You can install Magisk if you like.

I just meant, that immediately after the update your device is stock.
Stock devices tend to overwrite recovery using /system/recovery-from-boot.p and /system/bin/install-recovery.sh
It's not a big deal. OTOH, you never flashed recovery, you just ran a different version from fastboot boot.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:38 AM   #29
DogilD

Ah understood. Yeah it is okay. Luckely I had the device just 2 days before softbricking it. Thanks to you everything works again. Thank you so so much. I think this issue is now closed. =) thank you again!
Old 03-14-2022, 02:16 PM   #30
toryr
toryr began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air
Same problem - Nova Air

I managed to do this exact thing on my Nova Air. How did manage to find the recovery file?
toryr is offline   Reply With Quote