Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #16
awesomevegan
Connoisseur
awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindleing since 11/4/08
Smile Sorry for spreading misconceptions!

I am leaning towards the Sony 505 but I have a few questions and comments.

I like the the Sony is able to PDF files. How well do the PDF files work?

Do those of you who have the 505 like the PDF usability?

Are the Sony Style Gift Cards usable for the eBook store or just for the gadgets?

Will I have to use a credit or debit card to buy books from the Sony eBook store?

I THOUGHT that the Kindle case was leather but I guess I was wrong.

If it indeed is not leather, I will consider it.

The Sony 505 is a synthetic case isn't it?

I understand what you all mean about the difference in the screens. The eBookman and the Ebookwise have screens like my old b&w cell phone!

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by awesomevegan; 10-26-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: I'm a noob!
awesomevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
"Since I am vegan I DO NOT want a leather case, which is one reason I am not getting a Kindle"

Um, I won't even go into that reason, but I don't see on Amazon's site anywhere that the cover is made of leather. Even the replacement cover just lists "black cover with grey interior".

I would think if it were leather, they would want to specify that.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
"Since I am vegan I DO NOT want a leather case, which is one reason I am not getting a Kindle"

Um, I won't even go into that reason, but I don't see on Amazon's site anywhere that the cover is made of leather. Even the replacement cover just lists "black cover with grey interior".

I would think if it were leather, they would want to specify that.
The cover that comes with the Kindle is vinyl.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #19
awesomevegan
Connoisseur
awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Smile

Sorry if I misunderstood. I know it doesn't specify on the site. I seen pictures in a blog of the Kindle and the person said that it was leather and suede. Are you sure it is vinyl? If it is... wow was I dumb... The Kindle WOULD be more convienient because of the Whispetnet, the dictionary lookup and (most importantly for me anyway) the ability to use Amazon gift card that my friends and family can buy as CVS or so I have heard.

I thought that the case it came with AND the deluxe were bothe leather, but that one was considered nicer or something. I am sorry for being such a noob and thanks again to all of you! all!
Old 10-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomevegan View Post
Sorry if I misunderstood. I know it doesn't specify on the site. I seen pictures in a blog of the Kindle and the person said that it was leather and suede. Are you sure it is vinyl?
Not 100% sure. I have the case, and it doesn't seem like leather to me. Also, the stand alone cover description http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-...=pd_sim_kinh_3 doesn't say it's leather. I think it is WAS leather it would certainly say it.

You may want to email Amazon support and ask them. They are very good and quick about answer questions. Also, perhaps if it is they will sell it to you without the cover. Will that satisfy your beliefs?

BOb
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #21
awesomevegan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

You may want to email Amazon support and ask them. They are very good and quick about answer questions.

BOb
I did just that Bob. I am trying to wait patiently for a response. The Kindle certainly has its benefits, so I am hoping that the case isnt leather. That way I have the option. They have loads of vampire books on the store! Lol, funny I am a vegan that is obsessed with vampire stories!

How many days are left on that Oprah code?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #22
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
I am leaning towards the Sony 505 but I have a few questions and comments.

I like the the Sony is able to PDF files. How well do the PDF files work?

Do those of you who have the 505 like the PDF usability?

Are the Sony Style Gift Cards usable for the eBook store or just for the gadgets?

Will I have to use a credit or debit card to buy books from the Sony eBook store?

I have been thinking I like the Sonys ability to handle more formats than the Kindle.

I don't need the whispernet that the Kindle has, the Sony seems that it will require less conversion, and the Kindle comes with a leather and suede case and no option for synthetic case instead.

Since I am vegan I DO NOT want a leather case, which is one reason I am not getting a Kindle.

The Sony 505 is a synthetic case isn't it?

I understand what you all mean about the difference in the screens. The eBookman and the Ebookwise have screens like my old b&w cell phone!

Thanks for all your help!
Just highlighted in red all the complete misconceptions. As far as I know, the Kindle can read about as many formats as the Sony. The Kindle case is not leather or suede. While the Sony can display PDF, it is my understanding that it is not the preferred device for actually reading PDF.

Having said that, if you like the Sony, then run out and buy one. But, please don't spread the misconceptions around. They don't do anyone any good.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #23
awesomevegan
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Just highlighted in red all the complete misconceptions. As far as I know, the Kindle can read about as many formats as the Sony. The Kindle case is not leather or suede. While the Sony can display PDF, it is my understanding that it is not the preferred device for actually reading PDF.

Having said that, if you like the Sony, then run out and buy one. But, please don't spread the misconceptions around. They don't do anyone any good.
Thank you very much for your post! I am sorry for my mistakes. I was under the impression that is was leather and suede based on a blog entry I found where someone posted pictures of their Kindle.

As for the file formats, I was under the impression that the Kindle needed to have files converted in order to read things that weren't from the Kindle store. I also thought that the Sony was good for PDFs and didn't know that the Kindle could even do PDFs. I don't know if I will NEED the PDF option, except maybe for certain books that are hard to find, or knitting patterns. Mostly I just want it to read lol! I will edit my post so others aren't confused based on my misconceptions.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
How many days are left on that Oprah code?
It goes to Nov 1st.

BOb
Old 10-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #25
awesomevegan
Connoisseur

So due to all of your help and my many misconceptions, I am faced with a dilema... should I go with the Kindle? I really was impressed with what I have heard about it. I am considering it.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #26
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So due to all of your help and my many misconceptions, I am faced with a dilema... should I go with the Kindle? I really was impressed with what I have heard about it. I am considering it.
Have you been to the Amazon site and looked at the informational video? It may or may not be the device for you, only you can decide, but remember, you have a 30 day trial period during which you can return it.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #27
awesomevegan
Connoisseur

Smile

Yes I have seen the 2 main videos on the site and a few author comment videos. I like the fact that since it is from Amazon, and I have read you can buy the gift cards from CVS,(says so on Amazon) it will be easy to have friends and family help me fill it with some books

I was mainly concerned with:
The price (the $50 coupon should help)
what the case was made out of (apparently I was very wrong)
what file formats it can handle. (I guess I was wrong here too)

I will probably be getting most of the books from the Kindle store as it is the easiest way and can use the gift cards. That is if I do decide to go with the Kindle. I am trying to convince my family to buy one for me for the holidays (my bday is also in Dec. )

I do like many features on the Kindle. One being the dictionary lookup, the Sony does not have this if I am not mistaken.

I am very new to the whole ebook device thing. I have read a couple ebooks from my computer screen... pain in the eyes... and also have done audiobooks as well.

Does anyone know, if I have audiobooks on cd, is there any way to transfer them onto the Kindle? I have found a few at thrift stores, dollar stores etc I bought them before knowing anything about the Kindle or ereaders. If not there is always my iPod lol.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Yes I have seen the 2 main videos on the site and a few author comment videos. I like the fact that since it is from Amazon, and I have read you can buy the gift cards from CVS,(says so on Amazon) it will be easy to have friends and family help me fill it with some books

I was mainly concerned with:
The price (the $50 coupon should help)
what the case was made out of (apparently I was very wrong)
what file formats it can handle. (I guess I was wrong here too)

I will probably be getting most of the books from the Kindle store as it is the easiest way and can use the gift cards. That is if I do decide to go with the Kindle. I am trying to convince my family to buy one for me for the holidays (my bday is also in Dec. )

I do like many features on the Kindle. One being the dictionary lookup(I was arrogant enough to feel I didn't need this feature until I started reading Aldous Huxley, wonderful writer, and having the dictionary was a Godsend), the Sony does not have this if I am not mistaken.

I am very new to the whole ebook device thing. I have read a couple ebooks from my computer screen... pain in the eyes... and also have done audiobooks as well.

Does anyone know, if I have audiobooks on cd, is there any way to transfer them onto the Kindle? I have found a few at thrift stores, dollar stores etc I bought them before knowing anything about the Kindle or ereaders. If not there is always my iPod lol.
GC's are the easiest thing in the world. People can buy them themselves, print out a 'certificate' and give it to you. Thats what a friend did for me. I just went to amazon, and applied it to my account, (directions are easy) and started downloading. Amazon will always subtract from your GC first.

Please do not forget all the wonderful free books available thru here, (MobileRead), www.feedbooks.com and mnybks.net (site is back up).
Old 10-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The good thing about the Kindle is that you have 30 days to return it for a refund if you don't like it. So, there is little risk to order it other than maybe having to pay a few bucks to send it back.

BOb
Old 10-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #30
awesomevegan
Connoisseur

desertgrandma, all three of those sites work with the Kindle? I am assuming since you have the Kindle and are recommending them. So all you do if you buy from a site other than the Kindle store is plug in the USB and drag and drop? Or do you have to convert?

I am starting to see the Kindle as a really good idea, just need to convince the family before the code expires.

Thanks to all of you who cleared up the confusion over the case! I hope I can be as helpful to other new users as you were to me.

Bob, That is a good point with the refund thing