Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #16
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
And the instructions in the link provided above (for how to find the Environment Variable Settings in Windows 10 Creator Update) no longer works, since Microsoft drastically changed many of the Settings. I found it quickly using God Mode, though.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #17
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
I'm using the latest version (3.18), and it is still using the TEMP directory for temp Calibre files: C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp

VirgoGirl - You can manually delete all the files in your TEMP directory periodically, in case anything gets corrupted. It won't hurt anything at all.

I just noticed that mine are there too, after I installed 3.18. When I was using my previous laptop running Win7, I did periodically clean out my temp folder, but I haven't done that with Win10 - honestly I don't like Win 10, so I tend to let it do it's thing and not poke at the system files.

Kovid, if I set a user defined "temp file" for the editor, do I have to go in and manually wipe the temp files?

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 03-03-2018 at 09:29 AM.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #18
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'll have to create the folder you want to use for the new TEMP directory, and yes, you can manually wipe out the temp files, if they're still there after you close out Calibre.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #19
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What may be a stupid question: can I put it anywhere but in my appdata folders? (I have a folder I use for everything, so if I ever have to quickly copy things over it's all in one place)

EDIT: I looked at that page for tweaks, slightly intimidating. I think I'll just have to leave it for now and hope that I don't get the errors when editing files. The Sigil version I love isn't stable on Win10, and I like the feature Kovid has in the Calibre editor such as "wrap" and the retained previous searches to the amount that's in there.

Honestly, it's a relief to know that it's nothing *I* did to mess up the program and as annoying as it is for everyone, it's not just me.

Further edit: I checked out GodMode (Google is my friend), there is some resistance in my house to doing anything in GodMode as "I can really mess up my computer - live with it."

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 03-03-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Only the temp files used by the viewer and editor are moved out of the temp directory, not general temp files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #21
VirgoGirl

Sorry, I don't mean to be pedantic or annoying (too late, I'm sure), but when i open up a file in the editor, the .pickle files show up in the appdata temp file. The actual editing files are kept somewhere else?

I sincerely apologise for all the questions, I just want to be clear on everything.
BTW, I saw the Calibre cake on the FB page, Love it! Vanilla or chocolate?
Old 03-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the files used during editing (the HTML files from the book you are editing are stored elsewhere). ANd it was chocolate
Old 03-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #23
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes, the files used during editing (the HTML files from the book you are editing are stored elsewhere). ANd it was chocolate
Okay, thanks! I won't worry so much now - it's face it, I'll worry until it never happens again, lol, but less so.

Ooooh, chocolate! Hopefully they added some coffee to make it richer in flavour. Now I want cake.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #24
deback
Book E d i t o r

"What may be a stupid question: can I put it anywhere but in my appdata folders? (I have a folder I use for everything, so if I ever have to quickly copy things over it's all in one place)."

Yes, you can use any folder. I just added the environment variable and set it to c:\calibre. I had to create the folder, and then it worked fine.

Here's the quick way to find where to set an environment variable (in Windows 10 Creator Update):

Close Calibre.
Click CTRL-I.
In the search box at the top, type: environment.
Click on the first entry, and a box will pop up.
Click Environment Variables at the bottom of the box.
Click New.
Enter in the top line: CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR
Enter in the second line: c:\calibre (or whatever folder you want to use)
Use DOS or File Explorer to create the folder.

Now you don't have to use God Mode, which is great to have the old-type of settings that are easy to find and use.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #25
VirgoGirl

Side note: What was causing the temp files to disappear? I don't have any 3rd party programs on my computer for cleaning temp folders - my scans for malware come up clean and I never installed anything - I have avast and MalwareBytes, both set up to do nothing to files without my knowledge. I just finished installing the 1709 update for Win10 (it's dated 2/14/18, but the files were completely installed today), I'm just curious as to why it started 3 days ago. Well, more like PARANOID as to why it started 3 days ago.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No idea, obviously something on your system changed, what that may be...
Old 03-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #27
VirgoGirl

*paranoia level shoots through ceiling*

Great.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
I'm using the latest version (3.18), and it's still using the TEMP directory for temp Calibre files: C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp

VirgoGirl - You can manually delete all the files in your TEMP directory periodically, in case anything gets corrupted. It won't hurt anything at all.
Actually, the best time to clean out the temp directory is right after a system boot. Say you are using the Calibre editor and you delete the temp directory, you screw up the eBook you are editing. Also, you don't know what ever program you might mess up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #29
VirgoGirl

After looking around the web, I'm going to assume it has something to do with the Win10 update 1709 as it appears to be messing a lot of things up. There are security updates that affect Windows system files, so maybe that's the problem, or it wipes the temp files at a particular time - both times it happened around the same time of day.

I've checked my task manager, no weird program names, all my malware/virus scans come up clean, I haven't (knowingly) installed anything new, I haven't (knowingly) made any changes to my system. All I can think of is the update started to install things 3 days ago. Hopefully, with this new calibre update, it wont happen any more.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #30
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
After looking around the web, I'm going to assume it has something to do with the Win10 update 1709 as it appears to be messing a lot of things up. There are security updates that affect Windows system files, so maybe that's the problem, or it wipes the temp files at a particular time - both times it happened around the same time of day.

I've checked my task manager, no weird program names, all my malware/virus scans come up clean, I haven't (knowingly) installed anything new, I haven't (knowingly) made any changes to my system. All I can think of is the update started to install things 3 days ago. Hopefully, with this new calibre update, it wont happen any more.
Why would you +assume+ it was a W10 update when many Thousands of other Calibre W10 users have no issues?
OTOH a 3rd party utility, as Kovid suggested, IS. Why? Because we all use different combinations of them.

BTW Windows HAS (and always had since W3) a 'Disk cleanup tool, that can clean standard 'TMP,TEMP files as part of its USER CONFIGURABLE scan. FWIW mine is set to mainly cleans temp, and old browser cache. Minimal.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
temp folders