Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-17-2018, 04:52 AM   #16
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Try and
instead of
Try to
(peace, ya'll -- I know this is now an accepted usage, but you cannot try it and do it. If you can do it, you don't have to try.)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:45 AM   #17
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
American authors who set scenes in the UK and don't understand that it isn't the same as America;

- Multiple examples I've read of characters walking a number of "blocks" in British towns - even British characters giving directions based on the number of blocks (British towns just aren't structured that way and nobody here would use the term "block")
- One memorable description of a driver turning right to take the off-ramp on a motorway (we drive on the left!)

I'm sure that there are equally stupid mistakes that UK writers make about the US as well;I just wouldn't necessarily notice those!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #18
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I like the way Dean Koontz doesn't use that word, but let's you know the thugs in his book do. He's makes it comical.
WRONG AUTHOR No I not a Prude! I read books with cuss words BUT Not Every Sentence by the Main Person....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #19
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
When English language writers have one of their characters say something in German (and I guess it's the same for other languages, but I don't know), they ALWAYS get the grammar wrong. And I'm not only talking about pulp novels. It's the same in literary and historical fiction, in authors that give off the impression that they did some research. So why can't they (or their editor) spend five or ten minutes on getting one or two German sentences right?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #20
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
So why can't they (or their editor) spend five or ten minutes on getting one or two German sentences right?
Yeah, I've wondered about that one myself. Bothers me too.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #21
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yeah, I've wondered about that one myself. Bothers me too.
Is it the same for Dutch?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:11 AM   #22
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Unreadable gibberish.

Just taking this opportunity to bring up Finnegans Wake again
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #23
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Is it the same for Dutch?
Yes. Same thing. And like you, I don't get it either. How hard can it be to check those few lines?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #24
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
It's, I believe, the same with about every other language - even, probably, British English. At least, it's usually true with French.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #25
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Well talking about the physical things. I hate when the book has white sheets, it looks weird but I can't get used to it. Another thing is when the book is paperback and it doesn't have a back cover(the thing that has the author bio and photo). The books that have this back cover are more resistant.
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #26
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1) Homophones used Grrr: Brake vs Break, lose vs loose
2) Technical errors: Spark plugs in a Diesel
3) Planet based terms in space (SF) Ground floor of a Space ship
4) Vulgarity for Vulgarity's sake. Does nothing to define the character or move the story forward (ex Navy here, I do not have tender ears )
All of these, plus: punctuation that is italicized when it shouldn't be, as in "Have you read this morning's New York Times?" where the question mark is italicized. The name of the paper is New York Times, not New York Times?
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
American authors who set scenes in the UK and don't understand that it isn't the same as America;

- Multiple examples I've read of characters walking a number of "blocks" in British towns - even British characters giving directions based on the number of blocks (British towns just aren't structured that way and nobody here would use the term "block")
- One memorable description of a driver turning right to take the off-ramp on a motorway (we drive on the left!)

I'm sure that there are equally stupid mistakes that UK writers make about the US as well;I just wouldn't necessarily notice those!
I'm an American and I wouldn't even try to set a story anywhere north of Oklahoma.

The stupidest map error I ever saw was the "author" thought that in the US, the bigger the number, the more people would be on that road. The main character in the book needed to hitchhike from Amarillo to El Paso but avoid New Mexico. The quickest way to do this would have been south to Odessa then hit the interstate west.
The way the guy went was southeast to Snyder then another little road southeast to Abilene. Then instead of getting on the interstate he then went southwest towards San Angelo then headed back north to Odessa and finally caught the only road to El Paso.
Note, that detour added so many miles, he couldn't have done it in the 8 hours alloted.
Second note: you might could now but when the book was written, the short way would have been 10 hours. Speed limit is now 80 out in rural west Texas.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #28
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Obvious padding. I don't need to be told every time that "Joshua, in his broadcloth pants and straw hat, walked to the barn to start his morning chores."

I read part of one book where the author described the characters clothing in every scene. It was Amish fiction...the men and women's clothes don't change from day to day. The book should have been a 70 page novella.

Obvious lack of research, especially medical. A recent book had a doctor in 1899 giving antibiotic injections. This book was also Amish fiction, and a married couple in the book agree out to go against their Bishop, and continue to see their daughter who had left the Amish life. While current day this would happen, it would not have happened in 1899.

Herky jerky writing. "I am sorry for your loss. If you need me please send your grandfather to my office. I will come to you. I will step out now so Becca can help you change."

Changes in POV and tense that is not part of the overall book setting. Stealth religious proselytizing. I read Christian fiction, and expect, in those books, to hear about beliefs. But when a book isn't classified as such, and you're half-way through, and all of a sudden you're being preached at.

On the same hand, stealth erotica. Books in the Religious Fiction category that turn in to erotica a third of the way in.

Re-releasing a book under a new title.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
It's, I believe, the same with about every other language - even, probably, British English. At least, it's usually true with French.
Happens in the movies as well. In the Bridge over the River Kwai, most of the extras cast as Japanese didn't speak Japanese so they said the phrase "I tie you shoe, you tie my tie. you tie my shoe, I tie you tie" to simulate Japanese. (or at least that's one of the behind the scenes stories. One of these days I need to get my copy and listen to it closely).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #30
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I'm an American and I wouldn't even try to set a story anywhere north of Oklahoma.

The stupidest map error I ever saw was the "author" thought that in the US, the bigger the number, the more people would be on that road. The main character in the book needed to hitchhike from Amarillo to El Paso but avoid New Mexico. The quickest way to do this would have been south to Odessa then hit the interstate west.
The way the guy went was southeast to Snyder then another little road southeast to Abilene. Then instead of getting on the interstate he then went southwest towards San Angelo then headed back north to Odessa and finally caught the only road to El Paso.
Note, that detour added so many miles, he couldn't have done it in the 8 hours alloted.
Second note: you might could now but when the book was written, the short way would have been 10 hours. Speed limit is now 80 out in rural west Texas.
I once read a book set in the area where I live and the author described the distance from point A to point B as being a few miles, but in actuality it's less than a mile. This book was written in recent times - the author could have just checked an online map to get the correct distance.

Plot devices I hate tend to do with timelines, such as:

1. First chapter starts in the middle of some exciting event; then you find out that this is actually something late in the story - you are thrown back to the actual beginning of the story in chapter two.

2. Story bounces back and forth between past and present. Just when I start to get into the story in one time period it switches to the other.

3. First half of the book is full of heavy hints about some Big Incident (accident, illness, death of family member, etc.) that happened to one of the characters in the past and is influencing his/her current life - but you have to wait until at least halfway through the book to find out what it was. I'd rather just have a prologue about the incident.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote