Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How much have you spent on ebooks vs. ereaders?
about 100x or more on ereaders as on ebooks 10 13.89%
about 50x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 5 6.94%
about 20x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 1 1.39%
about 10x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 3 4.17%
about 5x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 5 6.94%
about 2x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 5 6.94%
about the same on ereaders and ebooks 4 5.56%
about 2x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 4 5.56%
about 5x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 10 13.89%
about 10x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 11 15.28%
about 20x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 1 1.39%
about 50x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 1 1.39%
about 100x or more on ebooks as on ereaders 12 16.67%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #16
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Most of my ebooks are free~~~

344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
GeoffR: Why, why did you make me do that? I've never added up how much I've spent on ereaders before. Or books for that matter. I'm about 2:1 ereaders to books. I won't be catching up anytime soon as I read enough free books to keep the over all book costs down. But, I'm just glad Kobo hasn't released a new ereader this year.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #18
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
I have to exhaust Smashwords and Creative Commons first.

If I want the book - price is no objection.

I purchased this http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596526856.do a couple of years ago.
It's a PDF that will work on an e-reader and I like the guidescope views. Easier to read on a tablet or reader. Pages always lay flat and don't blow around.

I do have the print version and that made me realize the mobile version would be very handy.

I'm starting to think more along the lines of a tablet that won't lock me into booksellers games or bloat if you buy their reader.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #19
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Gosh that's a good question ! If I added up my ereader's \ tablets over the years from 2010 on, it's about $1500. I bought all new and were on sale. Except one refurbished. So probably spent 2x more for ereaders than books. I also wait for sales on books, plus many are less than $5 or free. Maybe once a year I'll cave and buy a book at the publishers asking price of $12.99 or more. So given that it's over six years altogether, 2010-2016, I guess it's not as bad as I thought it would be.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, I'm just glad Kobo hasn't released a new ereader this year.
The year isn't over yet! We're not even halfway there yet.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Did Amazon refund the money you paid for the book?
Apache
No worries as I got both of them on free day.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #22
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Way too much I'm sure!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #23
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Oy, math.

This is really hard to figure out without going through all my books and since I been reading ebooks since 2008, that would take a while.

Most of my kindles (only e-readers I buy) have been paid for with shopping points or giftcards I get from doing surveys and such. Not all though, but enough that its a bit less painful. So I'd say I spend 10 times more on ebooks than I did on my e-readers? Rough guess.
I been slowing down the book buying this and last year though. Still have a pile I need to read.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #24
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Well, I had originally said I spent 5 times more on books than on devices, but when I go back and add it up, it's actually 3.5 times more, not 5.

The books were easy to keep track of, since I've been keeping a spreadsheet since 2007 of all ebooks that I've bought, including where from and how much. Today I added a new tab to my spreadsheet for devices, and with devices bought and sold over the years it adds up to $945 for devices vs $3,464 for ebooks.

Of course, that doesn't include the books I bought before 2007, but I have no way to find out for sure how much I spent on them. It wasn't much, though, as most of them came from Baen and they were either part of the free library or were from CDs included in paper books that I bought.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #25
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I entered the cost of my ebooks into calibre, as a column I believe. But I don't see a way to see a added amount for that, just all the individual ones. Of course its not just numbers in there, its the same column I mark lib for library and such. But then I am a pretty primitive user of that program.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #26
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I've bought three e-readers over time, plus two tablets. About to buy my third tablet. Yet despite all that, because of how much I read from my local library, I'm still way ahead on "spending" on e-books. I estimated 5x for the poll, but to be honest, I'm not sure.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #27
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I have to just guess, because many of the places where I used to buy are either gone or unrecognizable.

In the beginning I bought a new e-reader every year or so, and read lots of free books I had always intended to read some day. Then I began replacing favorite books.
After that I embraced genres that had been hard to find at bookstores.
Lately (since I bought an eight inch e-reader) I have been buying nonfiction.

For decades my book budget was about fifty dollars per month, mostly from used bookstores. I think that I have climbed back up into that range.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #28
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
OMG, I have to do MATH! I just did a guestimate since I bought ereaders as gifts as well. I've spent more than $1,000 on ebooks and emags. Probably more than that on audiobooks. Ereaders? about $600. Overall though, I paid way less for the combined ereaders and books than I would have if I were buying paperbooks (which I can't read now anyway, but that's a different issue.

Last edited by Tarana; 05-05-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:11 AM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
This is a toughy. I'd guestimate 5k+ on ebooks and 1.5k on devices. This year though I spent less than $100 on ebooks and subscriptions and only $90 on devices. I'm cured. I don't need to splurge on books anymore to make myself feel better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:18 AM   #30
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I have spent £1488.37 on 486 books according to calibre (out of 749 books in total). I haven't totted up the money I've spent on devices but I currently own 5 and have owned another 3 - 1 I gave away, 2 I sold - so I'm guessing it's somewhere in the 1.5-2x range.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote