Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
bet you it is this: C:\Python26;

Try Moving it after Calibre2
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
bet you it is this: C:\Python26;

Try Moving it after Calibre2
Yep that's probably the problem - it explains why Portable did not work.

The reason I say "probably" is because if you do a search for python27 in this forum, then you'll get references as far back as version 0.8.57 and maybe earlier - example https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=python27

It could be that a particular Python27 feature was not exploited by Calibre prior to 0.8.67.

@Terisa de Morgan - it begs the question - why do you have Python 2.6? If it's for Calibre related development then you might want to upgrade to 2.7.

Cheers BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #18
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'll check and I'll tell you if it works, thank you anyway for your interest.

And I have python 2.6 for other developments, but I think I can upgrade it (not a big fan of it myself).
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it doesn't work. I've already installed Python 2.7, and it's after calibre in the path variable, but calibre doesn't start yet.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #20
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
No, it doesn't work. I've already installed Python 2.7, and it's after calibre in the path variable, but calibre doesn't start yet.
It is not clear from your comment if the Calibre2 folder is earlier in your path statement than ANY reference to python? Since Calibre has its own python interpreter embedded in the Calibre install you do not want to preferentially pick up any references to other python versions when running Calibre.

In fact I am not sure you even need calibre on the search path if you make sure that the Calibre install folder is the current working directory while Calibre is being run.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #21
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I assume you have tried the obvious . a COMPLETE uninstall including wipe all registry entries.... , wipe app data. & wipe calibre library ( backup your appdata library contents first! )( use REVO uninstaller, or a careful manual search in regedit) then a brand new install.. once a new, empty install works, then restore your books & your preferences.

it is probably faster to just remove all traces & to start over, rather than play needle-in-a-haystack with the current messed up install.
AFAIK, calibre does not expect you to have or to get python, it should just install & work on any windows PC
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #22
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It is not clear from your comment if the Calibre2 folder is earlier in your path statement than ANY reference to python?
Calibre2 is now before, but I didn't have any problem till 0.8.67 release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
In fact I am not sure you even need calibre on the search path if you make sure that the Calibre install folder is the current working directory while Calibre is being run.
There's calibre in the world aside the gui (command-line)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I assume you have tried the obvious . a COMPLETE uninstall including wipe all registry entries.... , wipe app data. & wipe calibre library ( backup your appdata library contents first! )( use REVO uninstaller, or a careful manual search in regedit) then a brand new install.. once a new, empty install works, then restore your books & your preferences.

it is probably faster to just remove all traces & to start over, rather than play needle-in-a-haystack with the current messed up install.
No, I can try it but it doesn't clear why 0.8.66 works perfectly and from 0.8.67 it doesn't work (software engineer here, trying to really understand, shut down - start is not a method I feel comfortable with )

Thank you, anyway. I'll see what I do.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Calibre2 is now before, but I didn't have any problem till 0.8.67 release.

There's calibre in the world aside the gui (command-line)

No, I can try it but it doesn't clear why 0.8.66 works perfectly and from 0.8.67 it doesn't work (software engineer here, trying to really understand, shut down - start is not a method I feel comfortable with )

Thank you, anyway. I'll see what I do.
I vaguely remember calibre (source) changes listing updating Python(s) a while back
Old 10-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
bugger - I had a feeling that's what you'd come back & say - fellow software engineers intuition

If your inclined you could have a look at the detailed change log - https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/.../trunk/changes

0.8.67 is Revision 13100 - nothing obvious in the summary

I think some of Calibre is written in C or C++ so maybe its something in that can of worms, I recently had a couple of 'vendors' being somewhat cavalier with installing different versions of the Rockall Heap Manager DLL.

Other than that I'd be inclined sit on 0.8.66 and wait for Kovid's return

BR
Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A completely new installation of Calibre on 32bit Windows 7:
Registry entries (only 1):
HKLM\Software\calibre containing the installation directory: c:\program files\calibre2 (for 32-bit Win 7)

Also creates 2 directories:
c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\calibre
c:\users\<username>\my documents\calibre library

Adds c:\program files\calibre2 to end of path

So you should have this and no other reg entries or directories. The old calibre directory (c:\program files\calibre) shouldn't exist. The path entry probably only matters if you run anything from the command prompt.

Under Win 7 you can still press f8 and run in Safe Mode and calibre can be run in safe mode. See if that makes any difference.
You can also still run 'msconfig' and temporarily turn off anything which starts automatically and see if calibre behaves any differently.
Personally I would look closely at the anti-virus: turn it off temporarily or add calibre directory to the excluded items, or at least the main program.
Also check the event viewer: perhaps the same problem affects other software.
Try right-click on prog and run as administrator.
Check temp directory is set properly and that calibre can write to it.

Edit: reminder from theducks that for 64bit systems, path will be ..\program files (x86)\... Thanks.

bob

Last edited by comtrjl; 10-14-2012 at 11:22 AM.
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Shouldn't the (Vista or W7) path be:
"c:\program files (x86)\calibre2"
Old 10-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #27
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes if you've got 64 bits.
I wrote the above based on a 32bit (virtual) machine.
I might have added also that it doesn't have python installed on it at all, nor does the calibre shortcut even have a start-up directory listed.

bob
Old 10-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Terisa de Morgan - Another possible source of interference is Qtopia, some of the apps I have or have had that use Qt are Calibre, Scribus, Mediafire Express, Sigil, TP Bittorrent, Amazon ? - its yet another framework that deals with media files - images, fonts and especially for mobile devices etc.

Have a look in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Trolltech - maybe you'll see a

If you were to put C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\DLLs at the top of your path that would take priority over everything else, wouldn't it?

I'm thinking some bright spark may have dumped something (eg a bit of Qtopia) in say Windows/System32 - such people exist

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-14-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #29
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrjl View Post
A completely new installation of Calibre on 32bit
Running calibre via the portable version is essentially the same as a completely new install and she stated that the portable version doesn't work for her.

@Terisa de morgan have you tried completely removing python from the path and restarting to see if it makes a difference?
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #30
comtrjl
Connoisseur

I did not mean that the OP should do a new installation, far from it; I don't like the install/reinstall/redownload approach - I meant that after a new installation on a machine where it hadn't previously existed, this should be the state of things, so if there were extra reg entries, or directories, or different ones, they might be related to the problem and worth looking into.

bob