Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Coccinelle View Post
Plus, if the touch-screen ends up being nearly as glare-ridden as the Sony ones, I'm not going anywhere near it.
My touchscreen 350 doesn't have any more glare than my original Kobo. Perhaps you're thinking of the old touchscreen models?

The more I think about it, the more it seems likely that it's an LCD tablet, maybe even Android, which would be interesting but necessarily anything special. I'm getting too far ahead of myself here though.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #17
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G, Kobo wifi
The current Kobo is a decent piece of hardware. It just needs a few tweaks with the firmware and it'll be close to perfect (for the price and what it is... a simple no frills ebook reader).

Dictionary that works with all epubs and asian fonts PLEASE!
jayupark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #18
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm not sure but I think that the Kindle may wipe the Kobo out if they don't do some very good firmware changes, as well as some hardware changes. I think this because Amazon has just announced that they will start library lending in the States soon, And other than having the option of buying from retailers other than Amazon, Any slightly tech savvy person can fix this very very easily by striping the D*M and converting to MOBI.

I like my Kobo but Amazon has so many more things built into their reader, like MP3 player, Audio book player, faster page turns, Internet browser, 3G, Notes and multiple bookmarks. I think Kobo really has to get on the ball and create a reader that is a little more like the Kindle (maybe without the Keyboard though I've heard those can be annoying)
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #19
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
I'm not sure but I think that the Kindle may wipe the Kobo out if they don't do some very good firmware changes, as well as some hardware changes. I think this because Amazon has just announced that they will start library lending in the States soon, And other than having the option of buying from retailers other than Amazon, Any slightly tech savvy person can fix this very very easily by striping the D*M and converting to MOBI.

I like my Kobo but Amazon has so many more things built into their reader, like MP3 player, Audio book player, faster page turns, Internet browser, 3G, Notes and multiple bookmarks. I think Kobo really has to get on the ball and create a reader that is a little more like the Kindle (maybe without the Keyboard though I've heard those can be annoying)
the kobo may be wiped from the states but us canadians don't have many other options and it does what it needs to do. the kindle has been pulled from canada i believe. i could be wrong so don't quote me on anything but i remember the kindle being available to purchase then not.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #20
magnus117
magnus117 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
I'm wondering if this mysterious device is the iRiver Story HD. I mean, its possible that this device is going to be released under someone's banner. The only logical choice here in US/Canada would be Borders or Kobo. I wouldn't be surprised that this would be the case because the iRiver Story HD its so close to be release into the market. Remember the iRiver device just went through the FCC, so that means that a market launch its about a month away at most. Dunno I could be wrong. What do you guys think?
magnus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #21
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus117 View Post
I'm wondering if this mysterious device is the iRiver Story HD. I mean, its possible that this device is going to be released under someone's banner. The only logical choice here in US/Canada would be Borders or Kobo. I wouldn't be surprised that this would be the case because the iRiver Story HD its so close to be release into the market. Remember the iRiver device just went through the FCC, so that means that a market launch its about a month away at most. Dunno I could be wrong. What do you guys think?
i just did some googling and the iriver sounds pretty neat, borders was mentioned in a couple of articles so maybe that is the new one people are talking about. sounds impressive and if it comes to canada will definitely take a peak.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #22
magnus117
magnus117 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
I just got a used Kobo wireless from ebay for $60. Its pretty neat, I like it but its limitations are clear. I wish it had a keyboard and web access like the nook/kindle. Also if it had the annotation abilities like the Kindle, that would be awesome sauce!!! Hopefully the nextgen Kobo will fit the bill. I bet the nextgen Kobo device its the iRiver.
magnus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #23
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'd be happy if the next edition instituted e-ink Pearl and incrementally increased the speed of the processor. It's a decent step up from Original Kobo to Kobo WiFi; Kobo Pearl WiFi, perhaps with stronger built-in multi-language support, would be nice.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #24
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I think Kobo really has to get on the ball and create a reader that is a little more like the Kindle (maybe without the Keyboard though I've heard those can be annoying)

I think the Kobo is just what a lot of people are looking for -simple, basic, ereading device.
I personally don't want an ereader that plays mp3s or one with a keyboard to get in the way.
Why does every electronic device have to do it all? Are companies afraid to be too specialized?

I think the Kobo could improve in some areas and it seems they're working towards that but what I don't want to see is too many 'extras' on the device and more attention paid to improving the basic reading experience (better reading screen, better contrast, faster page turns, collections - things like that).

Of course, what I consider a good basic reading experience will not be everyone's so perhaps I'm alone in this thinking.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #25
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the kindle is available in Canada.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-09-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #26
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I was a Indigo today and they had the Blackberry Playbook on display with the Kobo at the same table, and with posters advertising it. Might this be the 'new device' people in the thread are speculating about?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #27
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
No the Kindle has recently been released in Canada not pulled from Canada.
The Kindle is more expensive in Canada, though, when you factor in shipping and customs, so Canadians who are budget conscious will be swayed more towards the Kobo.

As for including features - I'd much rather be able to add multiple bookmarks to a book or sort books into collections than include a feature to play MP3s. When I want to listen to music, I pull out my iPod. I have a sister and a brother who both have Sonys and neither of them listen to music on it. My brother listens to audiobooks, but again, he uses his iPod for that, not his ereader.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #28
The Terminator
Retired

The Kindle is still just $139 in Canada as well (and free shipping). @ficbot I don't think so because it's made by Blackberry and not Kobo.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #29
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
But the Playbook does have the Kobo reading app installed (or available) - that could have promoted some confusion: the Kobo app on a new device
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #30
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
The Kindle is still just $139 in Canada as well (and free shipping).
Well, that's news to me. I have never received free shipping for anything physically delivered to me from Amazon.com.

And, as much as I like (both of) my Kindles, it's annoying how much stuff Amazon offers to US resident Kindle owners vs Canadian resident Kindle owners. Start with the charger: US residents get one, Canadians don't -- but pay the same price. Or, tons of newspapers and magazines -- you can't get the New Yorker in Winnipeg but you can in Fargo? Or, the new ad-supported Kindle which saves $25? Or blogs, even delivered by wifi? Or apps? etc.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote