Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #16
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I guess I'm completely dense because I don't even understand this article.

The whole 3,000 limit thing has me totally confused.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
It's an astonishing idea ... I find it hard to believe Apple will actually take this step. Of course, Apple can do whatever it wants to do with its own platform -- iOS -- but at a time when e-books are already well developed under other models (Kindle, Adobe ADEPT, DRM-free, Nook variation), does Apple really want to make its devices so unilingual (as it were)?

With e-readers so relatively inexpensive, it may cede this entertainment activity to the non-iPad camp ... or encourage that same group (Nook Color being the first example) to deliver more and more value and risk forcing the hand of Amazon to develop color, video capable devices that might be in market at half the price of an iPad.

It seems nutty: Apple already has the upper-hand with native iTunes, etc linked to its devices and good relationships with most publishers. Why not just grow this segment using its current strengths?

Why not? They did it with iTunes. They are relying on brand loyalty. Sadly people pay the premium Apple asks for subpar hardware (for the price).
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #18
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
well, what i'm curious is to see how this would impact the app store in the long run. i guess small developers are going to be opting out if they can't afford to pay Apple. I'm still ticked that Apple's pulling this stunt while users in my country and possibly others, can't really access all of the books in the iBookstore due to geo restrictions. i only get obscure, out-of-copyright titles and some classics.

@grimm: or it's just the "trendy" thing for the moment. i don't know; it sure seems that way in my University at the moment. everyone's going gaga for Apple.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #19
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh it is DEFINITELY trendy to have a Mac. People can say I'm just spouting Apple hate but that doesn't stop it from being true that hipster kids love their Macs. There is definitely an element of trendiness to that. Hate or not, it's true. *shrug*

Last edited by Grimm; 02-22-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #20
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Oh it is DEFINITELY trendy to have a Mac. People can say it's just Apple hate but that doesn't stop it from being true that hipster kids love their Macs. There is definitely an element of trendiness to that. Hate or not, it's true. *shrug*
indeed. i'm actually using a mac right now, but it's only because my brother gave me his old one. i can't afford a mac XD what i like about macs is that it gives you a sense of personalization. i don't know; apple's products strike me that way; they look really good xD

but i don't like the way they plan to mislead customers if this app thing pushes through. it's sneaky.
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #21
Grimm
DRM killer

I hear you, I build my own computers, ultimate personalization.

Oh, and they are more powerful than Macs (or brand name pcs) and cheaper.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #22
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
I hear you, I build my own computers, ultimate personalization.

Oh, and they are more powerful than Macs (or brand name pcs) and cheaper.
my brother (a programmer) used to want to build his own pc until he owned a mac. now he's on Apple's side. he really, really loves it and treats Steve Jobs as if he were a god D; i think he plans to develop an app for the app store, but i'm not sure.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #23
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
he really, really loves it and treats Steve Jobs as if he were a god D;
Nobody's perfect.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #24
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I've got 3 computers at my desk, a Sony Vaio, a homebuilt PC, and a Mac.

While I love the control one gets from building one's own machine to one's own precise specifications, I'm getting a bit old for that. The Mac just works. I really think it's a better option for what I need to do with a computer. First thing I did was shift from using Windows for work to OS X.

I'm glad I did.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I guess I'm completely dense because I don't even understand this article.

The whole 3,000 limit thing has me totally confused.
I did leave a lot of context out, yes. Sorry about that. I wrote it with the assumption that the reader had been following the story over the past few weeks.

And the article I linked to had already been widely discussed yesterday. I also assumed that anyone who hadn't read it yet would click the link and read it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #26
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I've got 3 computers at my desk, a Sony Vaio, a homebuilt PC, and a Mac.

While I love the control one gets from building one's own machine to one's own precise specifications, I'm getting a bit old for that. The Mac just works. I really think it's a better option for what I need to do with a computer. First thing I did was shift from using Windows for work to OS X.

I'm glad I did.
yes, me too. windows just couldn't handle all of the stuff i have going on and it's sooo slow and keeps hanging up on me D; i like my mac and ipod touch, i do. i just don't like sneaky business practices. and i just pity the poor readers/customers who would have to pay for this out of their own wallets.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #27
Grimm
DRM killer

Hmmmmm... a Windows 7 machine with the same hardware specs as a Mac should not be hanging up on much at all.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
This seems to be the standard anti-Apple people trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. My understanding is the rule states 1) you have to offer the same deals from in-app purchases that you offer on your website. I don't see where this is a big deal. People can still purchase Amazon books on the Amazon website and read via the kindle app.
How about this: Amazon can't afford to pay Apple the 30%. No one can afford it.

How about this: Even if they offered the same deals, the in-app system can't handle more than 3,000 items. Amazon sell over 800k titles. How exactly do you think this will work?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #29
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Hey, cool... and here I was starting to think I'm moving towards older at 60 but I'm really a trendy, hipster kid

Doesn't alter the fact that for work, when I have a choice, I always use my Mac... it just works and that's what I want, just to use it for a variety of work, hobby and entertaining tasks rather than maintaining it... but most of my systems and hardware support goes to PC users although Win 7 is a real step forward...

Quote:
Oh it is DEFINITELY trendy to have a Mac. People can say I'm just spouting Apple hate but that doesn't stop it from being true that hipster kids love their Macs. There is definitely an element of trendiness to that. Hate or not, it's true. *shrug*
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #30
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Hey, cool... and here I was starting to think I'm moving towards older at 60 but I'm really a trendy, hipster kid

Doesn't alter the fact that for work, when I have a choice, I always use my Mac... it just works and that's what I want, just to use it for a variety of work, hobby and entertaining tasks rather than maintaining it... but most of my systems and hardware support goes to PC users although Win 7 is a real step forward...
of course you're still trendy. my dad's 60 and he's got a mac although we're always after him to actually use it xD it's the only way he's going to learn~