Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #16
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I fall somewhere between naked and fully dressed. But, I live with Diego, my faithful dog and he doesn't nag me about how I dress.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #17
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would never admit if I liked reading naked. Personally, I prefer reading with my clothes on.
It's well over 90F (32C) here today and will remain there as an average for the next few months... we will invariably (as always) have more than a few weeks that are well into the 110F+ (43C+) range. Let's just say that I will read however I'm comfortable, without shame. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Good for you!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #19
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
PW2 & Voyage text look darker than the PW3 text.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
PW2 & Voyage text look darker than the PW3 text.
Comparison is a huge fail. Bookerly used on the PW3 and Caecilia used on the PW2 and Voyage. Also, the Kindle font engine is set to optimize Caecilia. We need to get a compare using the same font in order to know if the PW3 is lighter than the others.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #21
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I really don't think you can tell that much from a video review. Offhand I suspect the only way to compare them is to see the real thing. In a video everything changes. One device might affect the camera differently for any number of reasons.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:08 AM   #22
Richard529
Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard529 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 1, Aura HD
Quote:
Comparison is a huge fail. Bookerly used on the PW3 and Caecilia used on the PW2 and Voyage. Also, the Kindle font engine is set to optimize Caecilia. We need to get a compare using the same font in order to know if the PW3 is lighter than the others.
Good point!
Take a look at Doitsu's post (#5) in the PW Gen 1 updates? thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262008

Am I right in thinking that Doitsu's attachments show Caecilia and Bookerly on the same PW1 or PW2 Kindle?
This would suggest that it is the Bookerly font that is causing the grey text on the Paperwhite 3.
Richard529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #23
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It amazes me that reviewers take the time to set up their equipment and record a review, and yet repeatedly fail to set up the two devices to look as similar as possible
Old 06-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #24
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Len Edgerly just posted a new video comparing the new font engine to the old one. Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Ek_O1RaGw

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #25
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^ I wish he had switched to caecilia to see whether the typesetting is dependent on Bookerly. Hopefully not, but who knows.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard529 View Post
Good point!
Take a look at Doitsu's post (#5) in the PW Gen 1 updates? thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262008

Am I right in thinking that Doitsu's attachments show Caecilia and Bookerly on the same PW1 or PW2 Kindle?
This would suggest that it is the Bookerly font that is causing the grey text on the Paperwhite 3.
It is possible that Bookerly is lighter, but the two screen grabs are not all that useful as one of from eInk and the other from LCD.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
It amazes me that reviewers take the time to set up their equipment and record a review, and yet repeatedly fail to set up the two devices to look as similar as possible
That is a major issue. Another issue I find is that we also miss out on having the devices reviewed set up to look their best. BadEReader is very good at making a Kobo Reader look worst than a Kindle. The thing is, Caecilia is not an optimum font to use on a Kobo Reader and that's all they show when comparing to a Kindle.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Len Edgerly just posted a new video comparing the new font engine to the old one. Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Ek_O1RaGw

Barry
I've PMed Len as he didn't use the same font and because of that, the typesetting comparison is worthless.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-26-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #29
samosa
Groupie
samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, AuraHD, AuraH2O, GloHD, Mini, DXG, PW123, Voyage, NookSTG
Quote:
That is a major issue. Another issue I find is that we also miss out on having the devices reviewed set up to look their best. BadEReader is very good at making a Kobo Reader look worst than a Kindle. The thing is, Caecilia is not an optimum font to use on a Kobo Reader and that's all they show when comparing to a Kindle.
Why isn't Caecilia an optimum font to show? I use that on my Kobos all the time!
samosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #30
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa View Post
Why isn't Caecilia an optimum font to show? I use that on my Kobos all the time!
Ditto, but the Amazon ceacilia is non-standard, so a poor comparison. Mind you, it's pretty hard to install a general font on the Kindle, so I suppose one has to extract the Kindle font and put it on the Kobo.