Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 05:31 AM   #16
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Catch up in what sense, April? Do Sony have a large-screen reader available for world-wide sale? It's news to me if they do!
The graphite look, silly! :P
That PRS-900 screen does look rather large..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
The graphite look, silly! :P
Ah, OK

Quote:
That PRS-900 screen does look rather large..
True, but unfortunately the PRS-900 is only sold in the USA (and perhaps Canada as well).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 05:43 AM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
What is the difference between "ordinary" DX and Graphite DX?
I can't see any, except for possibly newer screen and obviously different case color.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #19
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Social networking, perhaps ?
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #20
ricou
Enthusiast
ricou doesn't litterricou doesn't litter

Device: bebook
good news

For reading ebooks and PDFs, this new Kindle will do the job !
I was holding out for the Adam Ink, but with a PixelQi screen, handling and shipping costs, it will cost me twice the amount that the International Kindle would cost me...

I could settle for a low priced second hand Kindle DX and wait one more year for the notion ink (or another PixelQi like screen tablet).

Anyway, this is good news.

With all large ebook reader going bust one after the other (irex, skiff, plastic logic), it is still good that we have a good quality larged sized reader still available...

I would rather have a Pixel Qi Kindle DX, but I think I will have to wait at least two more years !
ricou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #21
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Just watched the video on Amazon's website about the new DX and when they show people holding it and it looks huge and uncomfortable. It weighs 18.9oz. Don't think this is anything I would want to travel with. Was disappointed in the video because they didn't really talk about the new DX but concentrated mostly on features that Kindles already have. Also looks they combined the numbers with the letters keys. Still no ePub or removable card slot.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #22
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True, but unfortunately the PRS-900 is only sold in the USA (and perhaps Canada as well).
Nope, Sony Canada has not seen fit to sell anything except the 300 (Pocket Edition, 5") and 600 (Touch Edition, 6") series readers (and the now abandoned 500 series). The larger 7" screen Daily Edition with3G is not for sale here. The Daily Edition now carries a $299 price point at sonystyle.com. Somewhat more annoyingly, the Touch is now US$169 in the US and the same device in Canada is Can$249 ... yet the US/Canada currencies are close to par.

My guess is the DX Graphite is a "stop gap" edition. At $389 for a 9.7" screen with free 3G access, it's a competitive e-reader device where colour is not essential (newspapers, most books and magazines being examples). The mid-range 3G iPad is over $900 with 1st yr 3G charges ($728+$15/mth). It's a bit of a surprise they haven't added a wifi chip as well in order to deliver larger files or an SD slot for additional content ... but admittedly, 3.3GB of user space is a LOT of e-book content.

The timing suggests -- early July instead of late summer -- there could still be a Kindle 3 in the works for, say, Sep or Oct. My understanding is a colour edition is NOT in the cards because the technology isn't quite ready for mass production in 2010.

All in, this updated Kindle occupies a unique place in the e-reader market. There really is nothing comparable from any vendor combining price, 3G connectivity, screen real estate and access to the Amazon store. And isn't it $10 less than the original Kindle 1 that was released just three years ago?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #23
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
I bought an Ipad while waiting for the DX price to go down, and waiting and waiting. Reading on that larger screen has spoiled me. I've found that I prefer the larger LCD screen to a smaller e-ink one (just too few words on the page at the font I require at my age), but a large e-ink screen with better contrast would be even better. I may just get this later in the year.

If you think the DX is heavy, the Ipad is heavier, though I do agree with people who say they are different. It does have true one advantage for me though - I can read comic books in their full splendor.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #24
flowoeB
E-Reader Sammler
flowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheese

Device: plenty...
tried to buy it... i'm not allowed to... in europe I can only order the old one... WTF?
flowoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #25
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I already preordered it! Though more for the reason that I'm hoping the contrast is a world's difference between the DX I have now...

Last edited by Anarel; 07-02-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowoeB View Post
tried to buy it... i'm not allowed to... in europe I can only order the old one... WTF?
I've just checked, and it can be ordered in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #27
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I like it. I think the graphite case will help bring out the screen improved contrast more. Nice price drop as well, $110.

I now have an ipad having passed the kindle on to my wife. If I were to need or desire a backup reading device or one that I could use outdoors in bright sunlight the DX would get my vote. I've been spoiled by having more words on a page with the larger ipad screen and don't think I could go back to an ordinary kindle size, but a DX as a backup, hmmm, possibly.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #28
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I'm tempted. And this is the first Kindle that's got me to say that. It's amazing what a price drop and the demise of larger-screened competition will do...

Clever move by Amazon, I'd say.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #29
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
they certainly know how to use economies of scale.
Other firms can learn a lot.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #30
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I really like the new look, more modern than the white
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote