Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: March 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Tunnel People by Teun Voeten 8 12.70%
Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone by Martin Dugard 5 7.94%
Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne 2 3.17%
Progress and Poverty by Henry George 2 3.17%
Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton 11 17.46%
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin 15 23.81%
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand 10 15.87%
Nobility of Spirit: A Forgotten Ideal by Rob Riemen 2 3.17%
Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff 8 12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #16
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Tough call. I just bought Empire of the Summer Moon last week, but I voted for Orthodoxy. I started Cleopatra in December but got sidetracked by Dear American Airlines and Four Fish.

And now I've added Into Africa, Autobiography of B.Franklin and Nobility. I almost dread the nonfiction month!
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Even if it doesn't win this month, I am planning on reading "Into Africa" as it has really piqued my interest. I was only vaguely familiar with the subject matter before but now I want to know the story. Thanks snipenekkid for recommending it!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #18
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Me in a nutshell:
I voted for Unbroken cause it was already on my reading list. Might as well get other people to discuss it with. Kind of a "tactical" vote.
After I voted I got so intrigued by Tunnel People I went and bought it. It's now very high up my TBR.
This book club thing is new to me. Would it be OK to nominate the same book/s next month?
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #19
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
This book club thing is new to me. Would it be OK to nominate the same book/s next month?
Usually a different genre each month. Keep the titles in mind, though, as we usually rotate back around every few months.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #20
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Is there a predetermined order of selection? A master list for the year as to what genre will be next? If not, how is the next genre chosen?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Is there a predetermined order of selection? A master list for the year as to what genre will be next? If not, how is the next genre chosen?
Yes:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/gro...iscussionid=15

Scroll to the last message.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #22
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/gro...iscussionid=15

Scroll to the last message.

BOb
Nice! Thank you for the link!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #23
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I probably missed it, but Kindle owners can download The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin free from the Kindle Store. I also found it free on iBooks store too. Funny though, Feedbooks only offers a "paid for" download. Both the plain and illustrated versions are available for download from Gutenberg.org. And as previously mentioned, can be downloaded here on Mobile Read.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 03-06-2011 at 01:40 PM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
I probably missed it, but Kindle owners can download The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin free from the Kindle Store.
You don't actually have to be a Kindle owner to "buy" that eBook. Anyone with Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac can get it. And, this title is DRM free.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #25
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You don't actually have to be a Kindle owner to "buy" that eBook. Anyone with Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac can get it. And, this title is DRM free.

BOb
Yes, absolutely! Amazon is so smart to offer free apps for most if not all smart phones, apple and PC venues.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #26
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The vote is coming down to the wire this time!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And please do not vote on a book just because or may or may not be free. We've already had issues where people were voting for the wrong reason and we've ended up with some months with some pretty poor reads.

Vote because you want to read that book more then any other. Also, don't vote for a book just because you feel it has no chance to win. This just gives a skewed result as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We now need just six more votes for Unbroken and we'll have a real winner instead of just a sort-of winner.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #29
Lloyd Simcoe
immortal observer
Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We now need just six more votes for Unbroken and we'll have a real winner instead of just a sort-of winner.
Game over ...
"Voters: 63. This poll is closed"
Lloyd Simcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #30
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
COOL! That's the closest vote that I remember. Ben Franklin it is!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote