Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
It certainly is! How did your team go, Bookworm-Girl?
We won! We aren't very good but neither is the other team. I'm not sure we'll win many more this year since we're in a really tough conference, but it's a promising start and I'll take a "W" when we can get it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:59 PM   #17
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Okay: I'll start with

2 Nabokov
1 Greene
1 Reiss
2 Tomalin

and keep one in reserve as I try to make up my mind between a couple of the others.

PS Good news about the team win!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2016, 02:09 AM   #18
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll give two votes each of the following:

Charles Dickens: 2

A Memoir of Jane Jane Austen 2

Confessions of an English Opium-Eater 2

I'll hold my last vote in reserve.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:51 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll start with 2 votes for The Story of San Michele because it's been on my list to read for a while.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #20
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll give my last vote to The Story of San Michele as I have never read it, yet have known the name for decades.
Advert
Old 09-07-2016, 12:34 AM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Tough choices! I could easily read all of these!

2 for Dickens
2 for The Black Count
1 for An Opium-Eater

And now I'm out of votes.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:49 AM   #22
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll give my last vote to Graham Greene's A Sort of Life.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #23
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Speak, Memory - 3 votes
Confessions of an English Opium-Eater - 1 vote
A Memoir of Jane Austen - 2 vote
Ahead of Time - 1 vote
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:56 AM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
bfisher, only two votes are allowed per nomination, so you've given two to Speak, Memory and have one vote left.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wish I could've looked more thoroughly into the nominees this month but for now I'll give 2 for Munthe and 2 for Nabokov, both of which I've been wanting to read.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Looking into them, I'm also interested in the de Quincy, the Greene and the Austen-Leigh but I only have three votes left. If I'd voted earlier I may have given Greene two and Austen-Leigh one, but with time almost up and seeing the results I'll switch that and give two votes to Austen-Leigh and one to Greene because, unless there are more votes, the Greene can't make up enough ground but the Austen-Leigh can join a three-way tie.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Voting is complete and we have a three-way tie between:

-Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov
-A Memoir of Jane Austen by James Edward Austen-Leigh
-Charles Dickens by Claire Tomalin

We will have a one-day run-off and voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly ONE DAY from this post.

Each person has TWO votes to use.

Please refer to the first post for all other information.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #28
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Oh dear - that's a tough choice, as they are all of interest! No point spreading the vote though, so I give 2 votes to Nabokov.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #29
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

My first instinct says Nabokov but I liked the sample of the Austen-Leigh a lot too and my backed-up reading says the shorter the better so I'll give-

1 vote Nabokov
1 vote Austen-Leigh

I'm interested in Dickens' life as well, but I think in this category's nominations I've discovered I seem to prefer autobiographies or memoirs to biographies.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:32 PM   #30
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

I have downloaded the Austen-Leigh and mean to read it anyway if it doesn't win. And I can borrow both the Nabokov and Tomalin from our library, and plan on doing so. Now all I need is the time to read them all ...