Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-05-2019, 03:12 AM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Heh! Yes, it was part of a run-off in the lit club too but longer ago.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:59 AM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nominations are complete and voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly four days from this post.

Each person has ELEVEN votes to use.
Advert
Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
What a list! It will be tough to decide. I think the publishing dates are interesting.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #19
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
First 2 choices are easy for me, they are already on my "to read" list:

Prisoner: 2 votes
Picnic at Hanging Rock: 2 votes

Then gets tough:

Appointment in Samarra: 2 votes
Still Alice: 2 votes
Monsieur Monde Vanishes: 2 votes
Darkness at Noon: 1 vote

Hope I understood the voting rules correctly (no one else gives me 11 votes for anything so thought I'd make the most of it here )
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
What a list! It will be tough to decide. I think the publishing dates are interesting.
Yes, they are. There's seven different decades represented here covering a wide variety from the 1890s to now. There's also nine different countries represented!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Hope I understood the voting rules correctly (no one else gives me 11 votes for anything so thought I'd make the most of it here )
Yes, you seem to have understood them perfectly!
Advert
Old 02-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

There's about 17 hours left for voting!

This is really an embarrassment of riches. I've sampled them all and there's so many good choices.

I've seen two of these- Equus and Still Alice. I've seen the film of Still Alice and I've seen Equus twice- the 70s film version and a live production in London with Daniel Radcliffe and his fellow Harry Potter co-star Richard Griffiths. I've never read either though. I've also seen the film of Revolutionary Road which is based on another book by Richard Yates, but haven't read any of his books.

It could be interesting to read a play as we haven't for the lit club in many years (the last was Arms and the Man from 2012), and it would be something to have a play selection the month after having a poetry selection since we haven't had either in so long... But I'd be just as happy with any of the other books too! A good many of these are already on my to-read list and the ones that aren't look quite interesting too.

Here's my initial votes:

-1 vote to The Death of the Gods. Julian the Apostate
-1 vote to Life of Galileo
-1 vote to Equus
-1 vote to Darkness at Noon
-1 vote to A Bend in the River
-1 vote to Prisoner
-1 vote to Reasons to Stay Alive
-1 vote to Monsieur Monde Vanishes
-1 vote to Picnic at Hanging Rock

That leaves me with two votes which I'm not sure yet if I'll use or not.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I don't want to edit my previous post since it's a vote post but want to add that I've actually seen three of these, not two, the third being the 70s film adaptation of Picnic at Hanging Rock.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #23
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I'll give one more vote to Equus.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:18 AM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An embarrassment of riches indeed! Here are my votes.

Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay. Votes 2
The Death of the Gods. Julian the Apostate by Dmitry Merezhkovsky. Votes 1
Equus by Peter Shaffer. Votes 1
Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler, Votes 1
Appointment in Samarra by John O'Hara. Votes 2
Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig. Votes 1
Still Alice by Lisa Genova. Votes 2
Disturbing the Peace by Richard Yates, Votes 1
Old 02-09-2019, 03:10 AM   #25
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
2 to Merezhkovsky
2 to Brecht
2 to Shaffer
1 to Naipaul
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Initial voting is complete and we have a tie! This means we'll have a run-off between:

-Equus by Peter Shaffer
-Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay

Run-off voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly TWO DAYS from this post.

Each person has ONE vote to use.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #27
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Both sound interesting. I’m going to vote for Picnic at Hanging Rock.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #28
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Wow, you were ready to go!

I'm going to think on my vote since these were two of my top choices. I've seen them both and really like them both, and they're very different. Equus is a more brutal play about psychology and religion. Picnic at Hanging Rock is I think the softest of all the 'free falls' offered this month but only because of its mysteriousness, though I can't say more without crossing into spoiler territory for those unfamiliar with the story. I'm not sure how different the book is from the film but I'm guessing the tone is similar between the two. There is one thing both nominations have in common though- desires, whether overt or repressed, and perhaps budding sexuality (for better or for worse). It may be a stretch but seeing them together in the run-off makes me think that in that way I guess it could be said they approach some of the same tertiary themes albeit from opposite sides, Equus from a more violent, direct, masculine approach and Picnic at Hanging Rock from a softer, more mysterious, feminine approach.

All that said, I don't remember either perfectly. I haven't seen either in over a decade and large chunks of both are missing from my memory, so whichever we read I'm sure I'll be rediscovering.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I didn't realize I posted so quickly. I will be happy with either book. I voted for Picnic at Hanging Rock for the selfish reason that it's been on my TBR for ages and ages! Also I really want to watch the recent TV series but not until I read the book.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #30
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I'll vote for Picnic at Hanging Rock.

It's been on my "to read" list for sometime. Our daughter has a friend who lives near the real Hanging Rock in Victoria, Australia. Last time she was over there visiting I tried to get her to go and see the rock, but apparently she found more interesting things to do (I shouldn't pretend to be surprised ).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote