Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What labourious book shall we undertake to read in September?
The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District by James Rebanks 5 83.33%
Shirley by Charlotte Brontë 3 50.00%
A Month in the Country by J. L. Carr 4 66.67%
My Life in France by Julia Child 4 66.67%
Forty Fathoms Deep by Ion L. Idriess 3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #16
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
D'Oh! I missed the vote! But if Rebanks has won it (no runoff?), I cannot wait to discuss this with others. This book was in my top 10 the year I read it, and I have gifted it to multiple different people.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
It was on my wife's list for last year as well. I haven't read it, so looking forward to it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2019, 02:28 AM   #18
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
D'Oh! I missed the vote! But if Rebanks has won it (no runoff?), I cannot wait to discuss this with others. This book was in my top 10 the year I read it, and I have gifted it to multiple different people.
Well, that's quite a recommendation!

I hope you are feeling better now, astrangerhere.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #19
Twitchly
Bookish
Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Sony Pocket Reader
I’m looking forward to this one!

If this sort of book is right up your alley — and if you’re not squeamish — there’s a British show called “The Yorkshire Vet” you might enjoy. We’ve been watching it on Acorn TV here in the States. It follows a (real) group of vets who work in the town where James Herriot (Alf Wight) practiced. It’s surprisingly engaging, though I confess to closing my eyes on occasion.
Twitchly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchly View Post
I’m looking forward to this one!

If this sort of book is right up your alley — and if you’re not squeamish — there’s a British show called “The Yorkshire Vet” you might enjoy. We’ve been watching it on Acorn TV here in the States. It follows a (real) group of vets who work in the town where James Herriot (Alf Wight) practiced. It’s surprisingly engaging, though I confess to closing my eyes on occasion.
Yes, not quite the soap opera of Herriot's All Creatures, but engaging none the less.

(FWIW, just starting The Shepherd's Life now, having finished off my current read.)
Advert
Old 09-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #21
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, not quite the soap opera of Herriot's All Creatures, but engaging none the less.

(FWIW, just starting The Shepherd's Life now, having finished off my current read.)
One thing I had not expected was for it to make me angry right from the opening pages. I really hope he can turn things around so I don't dislike him quite so much as I do at the moment.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #22
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
One thing I had not expected was for it to make me angry right from the opening pages. I really hope he can turn things around so I don't dislike him quite so much as I do at the moment.
He was a little brat when younger, to be sure. But I don't know that I have heard anyone be angry at the opening pages...

Of course, I was pre-disposed to like it as I had been following his twitter/instagram for almost a year (which is almost exclusively photos of his farm, sheep, and dogs).
Old 09-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
He was a little brat when younger, to be sure. But I don't know that I have heard anyone be angry at the opening pages...

Of course, I was pre-disposed to like it as I had been following his twitter/instagram for almost a year (which is almost exclusively photos of his farm, sheep, and dogs).
I really had expected to like this, but ... oh, the rest had better wait until the 15th, because if I start at the moment I might not stop. Let's just say that I find people who abdicate responsibility for their actions to be quite annoying, and it put me in a lousy mood for the start of the book, which has made me hypercritical and so not doing the book, or me, any favours.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I agree, gmw, but think we'd best leave that for the 15th and the discussion thread. I will note, however, that I've powered past the worst of it, and my DW is quite a fan of the author, for the same reasons as astrangerhere.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #25
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

I'm starting to wonder if my record of nominating things the whole group dislikes is going to continue...
Old 09-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if my record of nominating things the whole group dislikes is going to continue...
LOL! I think we've all that feeling. Mostly unjustified.

I think it's more that no book has been universally liked, just as none has been universally disliked. Speaking personally, of all our selections while I've naturally enough liked some more than others, I've thought virtually all were worth reading and that even the possible single exception was justified by a good discussion. In any case, I think a book where we were all agreed on its merits wouldn't lend itself to much of a conversation. But it's also true that individual tastes are more congruent with some than with others.

Along those lines, I'll note that a book I was considering for the current nominations got five stars from you at Goodreads (which is why I abandoned it; I like to avoid rereads when I can).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #27
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Along those lines, I'll note that a book I was considering for the current nominations got five stars from you at Goodreads (which is why I abandoned it; I like to avoid rereads when I can).
Which book?
Old 09-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Which book?
Walker Percy's The Movie-Goer.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
I like this book, and Never Let Me Go was one of my favorite discussions last year!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #30
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Ditto on both counts from me!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote