Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2024, 08:59 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Yeah I just try and provide some facts when he doom and glooms like this or on the absolute necessity of a case. Just in case someone new and uneducated about it comes along later and takes his opinion stated as fact seriously.
it is a fact that it's failed twice. Once in a 3.x firmware and once in a 4.x firmware.

And as for v5, when that does eventually come to be for Kobo, there's no idea what will happen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 10:07 AM   #17
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
it is a fact that it's failed twice. Once in a 3.x firmware and once in a 4.x firmware.

And as for v5, when that does eventually come to be for Kobo, there's no idea what will happen.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again because you keep sreading this nonsense. I have personally tested every updated from 3.19 to 4.39 on multiple devices. There have been no issues to device with fake registration.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2024, 01:56 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again because you keep sreading this nonsense. I have personally tested every updated from 3.19 to 4.39 on multiple devices. There have been no issues to device with fake registration.
It's been reported that it's failed twice. And that's not nonsense. That's reality.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:36 AM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that SideloadMode is not officially supported, what would happen if Kobo removed it? Would that mean you'd have to register?
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "SideloadMode?" It can't simply mean side loading books, can it?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 09:49 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "SideloadMode?" It can't simply mean side loading books, can it?
Advert
Old 05-14-2024, 10:30 AM   #21
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Can other people comment on the video posted by JSWolf seemingly impling that Sideload mode permanently disables native function of Dropbox (and presumably Google Drive) and Overdrive so that they are no longer working or accessible from the settings menu. This is new to me and I don't see this problem reported by others on Reddit and elsewhere.

Can anyone who has Sideload enable report whether or not this is true?
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:34 AM   #22
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyhermit View Post
Can other people comment on the video posted by JSWolf seemingly impling that Sideload mode permanently disables native function of Dropbox (and presumably Google Drive) and Overdrive so that they are no longer working or accessible from the settings menu. This is new to me and I don't see this problem reported by others on Reddit and elsewhere.

Permanently? No, of course not.. but it's entirely possible, and even likely, those functions will not work without setting up a Kobo account. (Especially if they are serviced by an API through Kobo services. that would make sense, because it would let Kobo update the interfact to outside services without having to update the firmware.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:19 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Hmmm.... The access to Dropbox and Google Drive are tied through your Kobo account. Overdrive fulfillment from Kobo also requires a Kobo account. SideloadedMode does not require a Kobo account.

It seems a bit unrealistic to expect to have Kobo's APIs work without knowing whom you are.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:40 PM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... The access to Dropbox and Google Drive are tied through your Kobo account. Overdrive fulfillment from Kobo also requires a Kobo account. SideloadedMode does not require a Kobo account.

It seems a bit unrealistic to expect to have Kobo's APIs work without knowing whom you are.
And last time I tried, you didn't need an address, payment or working/real email to register a Kobo.

Inherently you need a real email for Overdrive, Google and Dropbox.

I do use SideloadedMode=true on a really registered Kobo (reconnecting account doesn't need password or editing) because I like "My Books" as Home and I always download on computer browser if buying an ebook.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:50 PM   #25
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
In your case, with a previously registered Kobo but currently using SideloadedMode=true mode, do you still have Google Drive and Dropbox in your menu and be able to access these services from there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
And last time I tried, you didn't need an address, payment or working/real email to register a Kobo.

Inherently you need a real email for Overdrive, Google and Dropbox.

I do use SideloadedMode=true on a really registered Kobo (reconnecting account doesn't need password or editing) because I like "My Books" as Home and I always download on computer browser if buying an ebook.

Last edited by shyhermit; 05-14-2024 at 03:00 PM.
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 03:52 PM   #26
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It seems rather odd to me that anyone would want to avoid registering with Kobo while also being fine with registering for Google, DropBox, and other services. The point of sideload mode is to use the device totally offline and remove the clutter of the Home screen. If you want to be connected to online services, then don't enable sideload mode.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 04:56 PM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In your case, with a previously registered Kobo but currently using SideloadedMode=true mode, do you still have Google Drive and Dropbox in your menu and be able to access these services from there?
Only by going to More -> Settings -> Sign In

That doesn't need a user account or password, it uses the existing one by cancelling SideloadedMode=true assuming you originally registered. If you didn't then I presume you are prompted to create an account, but I've never enabled SideloadedMode=true until after creating an initial account (even if the email wasn't real).

You then have to connect to computer and you see that
SideloadedMode=false

So you edit it back.

Clue is in the name. The whole point to Sideloaded Mode is to copy ebooks via USB!

The installing of dictionaries or update of Nebo/Notebooks resources still works in SideloadedMode=true
Obviously anything that needs an account can't work.

Personally I have zero interest in Kobo, Amazon, Google, Dropbox, etc Clouds. If I buy an ebook I download at once using regular computer browser, remove DRM and make a backup.
I don't use "Send To Kindle" or Sync anything on anything as that is giving random companies copies of my stuff.

It's not like we only have 512 M or 2G storage now. My main ereaders are 32G and phone & tablet both have 256G SD cards.

The "cloud" is so 1960s.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-14-2024 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:03 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Pocket sign in option is still there in Settings in SideloadedMode=true

I've not used it in years and remove it from Browser toolbars/menus etc. Copy & Paste into LO Writer works better.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:57 PM   #29
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It seems rather odd to me that anyone would want to avoid registering with Kobo while also being fine with registering for Google, DropBox, and other services. The point of sideload mode is to use the device totally offline and remove the clutter of the Home screen. If you want to be connected to online services, then don't enable sideload mode.
Are you sure? I thought that you could still turn on wifi for things like updated firmware, download dictionaries, wiki, ... ?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:47 PM   #30
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You only need to download dictionaries one time, and it doesn't require a Kobo account to do so. You will probably want to install firmware manually for patching purposes, so yes, sideload mode is for people who want to keep their Kobos offline and not connected to online accounts.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote