Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read omnibuses?
Yes, I prefer them to individual books 12 20.00%
Yes, but only if they're cheaper than buying individually 35 58.33%
I purchase them, but split them into individual books 8 13.33%
No, I don't read them 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2021, 03:49 AM   #16
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
I've bought omnibuses, but it makes me scared to start them because they're so long! I need to stop being a baby
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I need another poll choice for "I would buy omnibuses but the books I read never seem to be available that way"
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #18
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm in the majority. If it saves me money that's fine with me.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #19
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepope View Post
I've bought omnibuses, but it makes me scared to start them because they're so long! I need to stop being a baby
I totally relate to this . I’ve done the same.

I bought several of the full length Liaden novels in bundled omnibuses, when I was just starting the series, because they were cheaper. However, I like to skip around in the series when I reread them, and find the bundles more cumbersome than the stand alone books. I can never remember what is bundled with what. So I wouldn’t do that again for this series, plus I want to support the authors by paying the full price.

That said, I’ve bought many other omnibuses too, and appreciate the cost savings. I don’t mind the format, because I usually read the books in sequence.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:53 AM   #20
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I treat them as individual books, but don't actually split them. They remember where I got up to. Normally I don't binge a series, so it might be months before I come back for the next book. Right now, though, I am reading an omnibus from the library, so I kind of have to binge it. I am splitting it up by reading novellas in between books.

Why would anyone not read them?
thats very similar to what i do, i did that with the Ethan Cross Ackerman box set - i log them on goodreads and here as separate books too as i will read others in between
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2022, 08:17 AM   #21
chongjasmine
Connoisseur
chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I generally prefer individual books.
chongjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:58 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The poll only allows one answer when multiple answers are called for.

I don't read omnibuses. But if I was to buy one, I'd split it into individual books. So in order to vote how I do it, I have to be able to select three answers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:59 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

delete post
Old 02-06-2022, 09:03 AM   #24
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't read omnibuses.
Then that's your answer.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Then that's your answer.
Nope.

I purchase them if they are cheaper then individually.
I split them into individual books.
I don't read them as an omnibus but I do read them after splitting.

So really, the poll is not fitting the process as I can only select one answer.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:52 AM   #26
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nope.

I purchase them if they are cheaper then individually.
I split them into individual books.
I don't read them as an omnibus but I do read them after splitting.

So really, the poll is not fitting the process as I can only select one answer.
You said you did not read omnibuses.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:21 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
You said you did not read omnibuses.
That's not the correct answer as it's a process. So all three answers need to be able to be selected.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:40 AM   #28
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

If you purchase an omnibus when it's cheaper and then read it as an omnibus, you pick the second option.

If you purchase an omnibus regardless of reason and then split it for reading, you pick the third option.

If you do not purchase or read omnibuses at all, you pick the last option.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:10 PM   #29
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
I'll buy an omnibus if it's cheaper than buying books individually, and when I do I read it straight through because I can't be bothered to split them up. Earlier this year I read the four-book "Seventh Sword" omnibus, which was like 3,000 pages long, and I just recently picked up the "Throne of Glass" eight-book omnibus, which is nearly 5,000 pages long (I sure hope I like it) and the "Shadow & Bone" trilogy omnibus, which is a tiny little pamphlet at only 1,200 pages ...
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:18 AM   #30
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
The trouble I face is that after reading the first book in a series and deciding I want to read the rest of the series, buying the omnibus means repurchasing the first book again as part of the omnibus. Often it's no longer a cost-effective proposition since I already own the first book.

I guess the answer is to read the first book in the library.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote