Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #16
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Similarly -- I bought some Ball canning jars from Amazon. The jars that I received were counterfeit, with poor quality casting of the pattern, and standard lids didn't fit. I contacted Amazon and they refunded my money (I didn't ask for a refund because I no longer had the packaging, I asked them to remove the listing), but didn't ask me to send them back. While I didn't feel safe using them for canning, I went ahead and put them in the garage for non-edible usage. Does that make me a thief by the definitions above? Better than tossing them in the recycle bin, IMO.

EDIT: BTW, Amazon never removed the listing even though there are multiple 1 star reviews saying that they're fake. I tried contacting the real company directly, but they required too much info on their web form, so I opted out of warning them.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-19-2020 at 01:12 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:00 AM   #17
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Don't see the issue. It's not stolen. It can accept sideloaded books.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2020, 01:31 AM   #18
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
My feelings mirror issybird's. Nothing has been stolen--Amazon specifically said they didn't want the device back. At this point Amazon has relinquished any control over what happens and the purchaser is free to do what he/she wants with the device.

Full disclosure should be made (as it was in this case) as to the history of the device, and future buyer beware. But I don't see anything unethical here. Now, if Amazon had requested a specific action (destroying, agreeing not make further use of, etc) before they issued a refund--then the original purchaser would be violating his/her agreement with Amazon if they tried to sell the unit to someone else.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Moreover Amazon didn't let the man return his Oasis due to shipping costs. (Happens pretty often outside the US and western Europe).
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’m going to be a contrarian here. If Amazon didn’t want the Oasis back and instead just blocked it, the original owner still owned the blocked Oasis legally.
Agreed Didn't realize these were the conditions. If Amazon said "don't send it back," then the owner can do whatever he wants with it.

To answer the original question differently then... A blacklisted Kindle will work fine for side-loaded books. I don't think you get the use of a dictionary or some of the other features.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:18 AM   #20
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
For all the “pretty often outside the US/EU”, I’m pretty dubious that they’d simply write off the cost of a $250 item - $25, certainly, but an Oasis? I suspect the OP did the right thing by staying clear and getting a known-legit Paperwhite, with the advantage they can easily take advantage of the various Amazon sales & offers without the hassle of having to side load each time.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No Dictionary, collections or Amazon on a Blacklisted or Blocked Kindle. There are legitimate blocked ones for various reasons, though it can mean it's stolen. It's rare that Amazon cancels that even for the original owner, say they report it stolen and later find it somewhere it had fallen in the car or house.

Amazon *HAS* written off 4K 48" HDTVs. Like when two delivered by mistake.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:45 AM   #22
jeff862
jeff862 began at the beginning.

Device: jetlite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Don't see the issue. It's not stolen. It can accept sideloaded books.
A blocked kindle oasis 3 can also accept sideloaded dictionary for highted word lookup?
jeff862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:34 PM   #23
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Agreed Didn't realize these were the conditions. If Amazon said "don't send it back," then the owner can do whatever he wants with it.

To answer the original question differently then... A blacklisted Kindle will work fine for side-loaded books. I don't think you get the use of a dictionary or some of the other features.
Actually, a side-loaded kindle *can* use a dictionary... it's getting them that's the issue. Back in the day, I was able to add the dictionaries I wanted to Kindle for PC App, and DRM'ed them the usual way. The resulting mobi files work fine when copied into the Kindle Dictionaries folder.

No way to get Collections to work though, and Wikipeida / Tranlation on-line services are also un-available.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #24
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
To add some information:

I’m from Brazil, I have all the ppw since the debut here in my country.

I bought the last one (6.8 size) and the rubber back is very sticky. It’s never happened with the other models.

I called today to Amazon support and they blocked the kindle, gave me a voucher to buy a new one and I don’t need to return the kindle.

Now I have a blocked new kindle, with invoice, and a new one on the way.

I will give to someone who needs.
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blocked, kindle oasis, used reader