Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-27-2022, 04:32 PM   #2941
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The two are probably unrelated, but I can't tell you anything without at least a KOReader crash.log (it's in the koreader folder), and ideally a system log dump as well (was is ;dm in the search bar? Can't remember).

Sidebar: KOReader has its own native screensaver handling (provided you're not using an SO device). And if you were using an SO device, you wouldn't be able to use the SS hack anyway, and neither would KOReader let you use its native SS, so I'm going to assume that's not your case.

So that's not even the right way to achieve what you want, just setup KOReader to your liking (Gear > Screen > Screensaver, IIRC).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:16 PM   #2942
0xSiegfried
0xSiegfried is on a distinguished road

Device: KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The two are probably unrelated, but I can't tell you anything without at least a KOReader crash.log (it's in the koreader folder), and ideally a system log dump as well (was is ;dm in the search bar? Can't remember).

Sidebar: KOReader has its own native screensaver handling (provided you're not using an SO device). And if you were using an SO device, you wouldn't be able to use the SS hack anyway, and neither would KOReader let you use its native SS, so I'm going to assume that's not your case.

So that's not even the right way to achieve what you want, just setup KOReader to your liking (Gear > Screen > Screensaver, IIRC).
No, I'm not using a SO device and SS hack works like a charm. However to let the SS in KOReader work, I deactivate SS hack in Kual. I'm gonna send you my log in DM.
0xSiegfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2022, 02:22 PM   #2943
0ripkindle
Enthusiast
0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 (2012), Kindle Touch 4, Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021)
Does this work with PW5 5.14.1.1?

I don't get the images I put in the screensavers folder. Instead the backlight turns off and the screen doesn't change. I don't have the option that does this selected. I've reset the extension and then tried again and it still doesn't work.
When rebooting, it gets stuck at the tree logo and doesn't update the screen even though the device does fully boot (I could access the internal storage). I think my method for converting images is pretty basic:

Code:
for f in *; do echo "$f" ; convert "$f" -geometry 1235x1646^ -gravity center -colorspace Gray -crop 1235x1646+0+0 out/$f.png; done
I also tried the "rebuild" thing in the menu that's supposed to re-check for any new images, but that always says that there's nothing to do.

The default wallpaper (magic and stuff) did work.

Last edited by 0ripkindle; 06-09-2022 at 02:25 PM.
0ripkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:12 PM   #2944
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, that won't work. IIRC, you specifically need a PNG8 @ 256c (i.e., not paletted).

e.g., something like
Code:
-colorspace Gray -define png:color-type=0 -define png:bit-depth=8 -quality 75
And once you hit a broken image (which does result in "nothing" happening), you'll need to reboot the device (or the full UI framework) to get it to pick up new images properly (assuming nothing else in the pool is broken).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-09-2022 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:36 PM   #2945
0ripkindle
Enthusiast
0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 (2012), Kindle Touch 4, Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yeah, that won't work. IIRC, you specifically need a PNG8 @ 256c (i.e., not paletted).

e.g., something like
Code:
-colorspace Gray -define png:color-type=0 -define png:bit-depth=8 -quality 75
And once you hit a broken image (which does result in "nothing" happening), you'll need to reboot the device (and/or full UI framework) to get it to pick up new images properly (assuming nothing else in the pool is broken).
Thanks, the following worked for me:
Code:
for f in *; do echo "$f" ; convert "$f" -geometry 1235x1646^ -gravity center -colorspace Gray +dither -quality 100 -crop 1235x1646+0+0 PNG8:out/$f.png; done
0ripkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2022, 10:42 PM   #2946
voidwards
voidwards is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 4
Not sure why mine isn't working. I jailbreaked earlier with the most recent jailbreak supporting my Kindle Voyage (5.13.6), and installed a bunch of things. I'm being shown the "hack successful" screensaver now. I've tried a book that I downloaded a cover from through Calibre and a book that I've gotten from Amazon (so it's a kfx).

Jailbreaking forced me to do a factory reset so I backed up my documents folder and pasted all my books back in with the clippings document into the jailbroken /documents folder. Maybe it's processing all of those books still and that's why the covers aren't showing up? I've tried idling for like 5+ minutes on a book before putting it to sleep.

Are the covers supposed to have the exact file format mentioned, and those coming from Amazon/Calibre need to have .PNG extensions when using the cover book method? (I copied the "auto" file and renamed it cover to have a blank "cover" file as mentioned in the steps).

Edit: not sure how this happened but there is an option for me to turn on book cover by default on the Kindle itself. I turned it on and disabled this plugin in Kual and that worked. Never noticed it before, looks like a default/non jailbreak feature.

Last edited by voidwards; 06-27-2022 at 04:08 AM.
voidwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:56 AM   #2947
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
@NiLuJe
I'm currently on a KPW 11th gen on v 5.14.2. I've installed the screensaver hack and copied over 11 images (none of which have been disregarded - so all are compatible).

However, when I select random or shuffle and add a blank random file to the link directory only the first custom image shows, even after restarting the devices.

Any ideas on what the issue could be or what to try out to rule out basic errors?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:19 PM   #2948
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@readandread: Check the contents of the linkss/screensavers folder?
Old 07-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #2949
Malco
Malco began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 5.9.6.1
Hi there

I tried to add new images to the Screensaver folder, all formatted correctly I believe, and now I get no screensaver with any option. I have tried to remove the new images and now just have 1 original custom image and have restarted the framework multiple times but to no avail.

This is on a PW3 running 5.9.6.1, do I need to re install? Many thanks
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:24 AM   #2950
NiLuJe
BLAM!

No, as repeatedly mentioned, nothing showing up means the image pool is broken .
Old 07-04-2022, 01:39 PM   #2951
Malco
Malco began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 5.9.6.1
I had read that but the only image now in there is an original image that I know works. I have also refreshed the device and cleared the cache ect. But can't get it to work again. Thanks for replying though.
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:49 AM   #2952
airotkiv
airotkiv began at the beginning.

Device: KV + KOA3
Hi, code mages, I have a far-fetched question.

During the jailbreak I saw the misconfiguration lockout screens (the one where the secret gesture must come) and liked them a lot.

Is it possible to set them as normal screensavers?

Thanks!
airotkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 05:22 AM   #2953
Trystanr
Trystanr began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
Hi,

I have installed the Hack on my PW5, just a note, the PW5 supports a resolution of 1236 x 1648, perhaps you can edit the original post to include that?

Thank you so much for the awesome tweaks! You're doing great work!
Trystanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:19 PM   #2954
Vagabondo78
Vagabondo78 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hello!
I have KPW3, 5.14.3.01, jailbreak, etc.
After installing Python 2.7 and Python 3.9, the installed package (vlasovsoft) stopped running. I tried reinstalling the hotfix and KUAL, but the result is the same.
Other packages run fine.
How can I remove both Pythons?
Vagabondo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:04 AM   #2955
eriver
eriver began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 6th, 9017, FW 5.12.2.2.
Could not install Python

Hi,

on my jailbreaked PW2 I did install KUAL
but installing Python will be refused

Update error - invalid update file

Any hints, thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220724_114026.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	195272  

Last edited by eriver; 07-24-2022 at 06:44 AM.
eriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch