Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #2806
Homer_S
Homer_S began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's kind of a catch-22, as you kinda need a working JB to install USBNet in the first place ;p.

But feel free to check out the bridge script if you have some time to waste ^^.

----

You'll probably want to look into the various ways people have come up with to block OTA updates before turning WI-Fi on. If your device is still currently on an older FW, the KUAL helper extension's block OTA button should do the trick, though.

I can't quite recall quite what the cutoff point was for this method being defeated, though. 5.10.x?
I'm staying on 5.10.1.3 for now. I found these two for blocking OTAs short of the experimental renaming/removing the binaries.
Does that sound about right?
Homer
Homer_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #2807
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Homer,
Blocking directory works perfectly on 5.10.1.3.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #2808
Homer_S
Homer_S began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Homer,
Blocking directory works perfectly on 5.10.1.3.
This page seems to indicate that was patched in firmware >=5.6.0. I'll go ahead and do it as well as this one via KUAL.

I should have just read the Master Index, under Applications and "Hacks".

Homer
Homer_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #2809
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Keep in mind the age of the stuff you check. Especially when it predates even the *original release* of your actual device.

I'd trust the advice given *today* by @hius07 over anything you might find in seven-years old posts .

(That is to say: you're probably good with the block button from the Helper KUAL extension).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:37 PM   #2810
tinoargentino
tinoargentino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Hey all, thanks Niluje et al for the jailbreak and all the hard work here.

I'm trying to ssh over wifi to my PW1 Kindle, I've already installed KUAL and USBNetwork but I'm stuck following the README_FIRST.

After I run ;un I am able to see RNDIS thing in the Network window in MacOS, but it only shows as "Connected" when the Kindle is connected with the USB cable. If I disconnect the USB cable, the connection breaks.

I'm also unable to see the usb0 when I do ifconfig in the terminal, both with the USB cable connected and disconnected.

I have been able, tho, to SSH into root WITH the USB cable connected, so this tells me that I'm pretty close, I guess?

I would appreciate any help I can get!
tinoargentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #2811
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you see the "Connected" screen, you're not is USBNet mode *at all*.

Which means either you failed to enable it properly, or it's not installed properly.

That's a lower-level issue than any config mishaps you might have made.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #2812
tinoargentino

Hmm I see, not sure what went wrong. I am now trying to uninstall USBNetwork by copying the uninstall .bin into MR packages and running it from the Kual Helper option. It seemed to run appropriately (I did it twice now), but I still see USBNetwork there at the Kual menu.

Should I continue trying to re-install it?
Old 11-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #2813
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Check MRPI's log for certain, but a plain uninstall won't touch the KUAL extension. Or the actual folder itself.

The folder thing makes sense, it's to avoid wiping user content, but I'll admit I'm not quite sure why I batched the KUAL extension with that bit of logic, that makes much less sense ;p.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #2814
tinoargentino

Quote:
Check MRPI's log for certain, but a plain uninstall won't touch the KUAL extension. Or the actual folder itself.

The folder thing makes sense, it's to avoid wiping user content, but I'll admit I'm not quite sure why I batched the KUAL extension with that bit of logic, that makes much less sense ;p.
haha, ok got it.

So I verified the logs and the uninstalls where there, twice. Check.

Started back again following the Readme_first:

- I reinstalled the correct USBNetwork .bin. Check
- Plugged and mounted Kindle. Check
- Read the config file. Left the IP as is (192.168.15.244). Check
- Didn't do the Setup public keys. Not check.
- Unmount and eject kindle. Check
Note: here the readme suggests to also unplug the usb cable. I did that, and also tried it with the cable connected.
- Ran ;un . Check
- Somehow RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget appears in the Network UI in macOS. I applied the IP stored in the config file mentioned above (192.168.15.244). Subnet mask 255.255.0.0. It shows "Status: Cable unplugged", unless I plug the Kindle and ran ;un (with the cable plugged)
- Moving on, with the unplugged cable and the RNDIS thing with "unplugged" status, I ran ifconfig but there is no usb0, I checked grep-ing the output to search for usb0 but there is nothing.

This is where I'm completely stuck. Any ideas where did I mess up?
Old 11-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #2815
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
You haven't written anything about enabling wifi access to the kindle (something I have no experience with, I've always only used USB to access my kindles). Your kindle's wifi IP address would be on your wifi network which is unlikely to be 192.168.15.x

wifi and usb are completely different networks.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:01 PM   #2816
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You can't *toggle* USBNet (i.e., run ;un) with the cable plugged in, but that doesn't mean you're forbidden from plugging it back in right after .

The KUAL toggle button is much more explicit about that (and it will in fact abort the toggle to avoid mishaps if it detects that the device is plugged in).

Other than that, what @j.p.s said: the README is entirely concerned about USB.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:24 PM   #2817
tinoargentino

Still lost X_X

Quote:
You can't *toggle* USBNet (i.e., run ;un) with the cable plugged in, but that doesn't mean you're forbidden from plugging it back in right after .

The KUAL toggle button is much more explicit about that (and it will in fact abort the toggle to avoid mishaps if it detects that the device is plugged in).

Other than that, what @j.p.s said: the README is entirely concerned about USB.
Ok guys, thanks for the help so far. I spent a couple of hours still trying to figure this out but still no luck. If I understand correctly, in order to ssh through wifi I first need to ssh via the USB cable to change the password (I was able to ping the kindle via wifi and ssh but failed to provide the password)

But I still can't get to see usb0 or any interface that I believe belongs to the Kindle. One thing that i weird to me is that when I try to set up the Network in the MacOS interface I get the error message shown in this link.

Additionally, if I set the Network to IP 192.168.15.245 I am able to see that IP in en4 in ifconfig.

Does any of this problems ring a bell to you guys?
Old 11-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #2818
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You don't need any password at all over USB... unless you've enabled SSH over Wi-Fi in USBNet's config/KUAL extension.

Which is precisely why the documentation wants you to do things over USB first on a vanilla config .
Old 11-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #2819
tinoargentino

It Worked!!! I disabled the wifi (which was enabled o_O, I don't recall when I did that) and was able to ssh in, change the password and wifi ssh in!

Amazing guys, thanks so much.

Now to my ACTUAL project: creating a crontab python script that will sync myclippings.txt to the cloud.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #2820
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Do note that a cron can only run when the device is *awake*.

You'll have to delve into rtc wake territory to handle a sleeping device.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch