Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #256
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccu View Post
Is there a way to change how the titles appear on your Kindle? After converting mobipocket books to kindle format and adding them to my kindle, the titles on the homepage appear funky. Some have no titles and some have strange symbol font. Is there a way to change this? Thanks
Yes, you need the mobi2mobi.

On our Wiki page here.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Mobiperl
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #257
marielovesbooks
marielovesbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is great,I use Fictionwise all the time .
marielovesbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #258
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It looks like Fictionwise will no longer accept a Kindle PID (with the asterisk). When you enter the Kindle PID, it strips out the asterisk. Does anyone know what would happen if you used that PID to download a Secure Mobipocket file, then used kindlefix.py with the modified PID? Would the resulting file work on the Kindle, or not? I don't want to buy a book I can't use. I avoid buying Secure files if at all possible, just trying to confirm what is possible.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #259
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It looks like Fictionwise will no longer accept a Kindle PID (with the asterisk). When you enter the Kindle PID, it strips out the asterisk. Does anyone know what would happen if you used that PID to download a Secure Mobipocket file, then used kindlefix.py with the modified PID? Would the resulting file work on the Kindle, or not?
It does not work (which is the point of what mobipocket.com is doing to fictionwise customer's PIDs). In fact, I think you need to delete this PID from your account because it can cause other problems. OverDrive MOBIs from Books on Board may still be ok with KindleFIX but very few others.

One option is to use mobidedrm to strip the DRM (e.g. provide your Windows Desktop PID to FictionWise). The DRM-free copies work on the Kindle, but it is generally thought to be illegal to strip DRM in the US. It is hard to see who is hurt, though, by doing this for personal use on ebooks you bought.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #260
svakanda
Enthusiast
svakanda began at the beginning.

Device: none
this seems too complicated!

svakanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #261
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by svakanda View Post
this seems too complicated!

It's not really.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #262
xina
xina began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Hi,
I followed all directions to obtain my kindle2 PID and my terminal window now looks like this:

link removed on Amazon's request

I have never used terminal before & terrified that I could have screwed up my system files -- is there any way to UNDO everything I did in following the directions? Help, please...
xina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #263
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xina View Post
Hi,
I followed all directions to obtain my kindle2 PID and my terminal window now looks like this:

link removed on Amazon's request

I have never used terminal before & terrified that I could have screwed up my system files -- is there any way to UNDO everything I did in following the directions? Help, please...
It looks like you don't have /usr/local/bin ...

See if you can do

cd /usr/local

IF you can then do

mkdir bin

Yes you can undo everything. But, nothing you did is going to hurt anything either. also, from above the first command failed and so did all the others, so the above commands did nothing.

BOb
Old 02-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #264
xina
xina began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
oh thank you so much -- i saw the failed command notices but am obviously TOTALLY clueless about this stuff. i remember reading that i should never touch terminal if i don't know what i'm doing. and yet...well i had to go & fool around with it.

thank you so much for advice & help!

edit: just tried it out--
christinas-emac:~ chibbs$ cd /usr/local
christinas-emac:local chibbs$ mkdir bin
mkdir: bin: Permission denied

Last edited by xina; 02-28-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: add content
xina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #265
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
oh thank you so much -- i saw the failed command notices but am obviously TOTALLY clueless about this stuff. i remember reading that i should never touch terminal if i don't know what i'm doing. and yet...well i had to go & fool around with it.

Permission denied means you don't have permission to do the command in this place. You need to su to root and try the command. Are you sure you don't have a bin? Do ls -l to find out and check permissions.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #266
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry, you will have to make the bin folder as root... use this command:

sudo mkdir bin

BOb
Old 02-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #267
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Also if you don't have the folder, it probably won't be in the path already.

Can you type set in the terminal and you should get a bunch of stuff. One of the lines will start with PATH ... can you past that here.

BOb
Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #268
VDR928
VDR928 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I am having trouble with this, too. I, also have the trouble with the first "cd/usr/local/bin" (no such file or directory). I tried the sudo mkdir bin command and got" file exists".... followed through with all the other lines and ended up (after kindlepid and the serial number) with "command not found". After all the other sudo commands I get "file exists" until I ask for the pid! It is so frustrating!! I have been working with it for hours. There is a book that the library offers that I can NOT buy from Amazon and it is the first of a series (why they offer the rest and not the first is a mystery to me!) I have a yr old Macbook pro and leopard. Did Amazon do something to the Kindle 2's? Or am I just dumber than I thought?! I just can't figure this out! PilotBob, (or anyone else!) PLEASE HELP!!
VDR928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #269
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDR928 View Post
I just can't figure this out! PilotBob, (or anyone else!) PLEASE HELP!!
OK, I just had a long discussion in the other thread about there. Here is the easy way..

link removed on Amazon's request.

BOb
Old 03-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #270
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
It took me a while to go through this thread, but I think I have it figured out. Thanks.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote