Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-15-2023, 11:06 AM   #256
ljrkrispes
Enthusiast
ljrkrispes began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 1
I am a very tech illiterate person that just needs a simple app for my new iPhone 15 that no longer has a functional Marvin. I use Calibre for my book storage. What can I do? Counting on all of you brilliant people that use apps that are more powerful than I will ever need....
ljrkrispes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 12:55 PM   #257
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrkrispes View Post
I am a very tech illiterate person that just needs a simple app for my new iPhone 15 that no longer has a functional Marvin. I use Calibre for my book storage. What can I do? Counting on all of you brilliant people that use apps that are more powerful than I will ever need....
Read the last 2 posts??? There are step by step instructions for reinstalling Marvin on your new phone...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2023, 01:03 PM   #258
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Sorry, I missed your post.

Slowly but surely BF is getting better, but there is still room for improvement

-------[/LIST]

Quote:
[*]lookup in Text Selection Context Menu is still missing
Attachment 204061
This is present now.

Just check and it is implemented. It is the icon(A on a book icon) to the right of the copy button. This is how it looks? Unless you mean something else but it seems to be have the same functionality.

Quote:
No customisation of the order of the Text Selection Context Menu.
Not sure if we will be able to offer the ability to customize this menu

Quote:
No customisation of translation service.
Due to the ability to select custom colors and display the last 5 used in the text selection menu. We could not use the default Apple text selection menu. As a result Apple Translate is not accessible and they don't provide anyway to call their service unless you use the default System Text Selection.

We currently leverage Google Translate at the moment. We will have to look into how to make it more seamless and customizable. Do you mean just being able to select the language before doing the translation? It currently defaults to the device language.

Quote:
Text Selection Context Menu is very short and the boxes are very narrow.
Depending on the device you could extend it so scrolling is not needed anymore
We quickly leveraged the same toolbar for iPhone for iPads. We will address this in the upcoming release.

Quote:
no option for auto-copy selected text
There is a copy button that can be used to copy text once selected. Do you mean to automatically copy all text when selected to the clipboard? Not sure this is something that will get implemented in the short term. It would have to be configurable since not all readers would like that behavior.

Quote:
Installation of fonts only via 3rd party app
Based on Apple's guidelines the suggested way to install fonts is to have them installed at the system level. This way fonts gets installed only once and can be used by multiple apps. Theoretically we could also build a font app within BookFusion but there are two free options that does this Fonts and iFonts app for free.

As a result custom fonts can be installed to the system with any of these apps and then the custom font can be selected from within BookFusion. This process will usually be done once or twice for most readers then they focus on reading. Unfortunately we won't be implementing app specific fonts.

Quote:
after selecting an app in share context menu and going back to BF the share pop-up is still there and blocking everything. It only disappears when you select an app from it again.
Got it will be fixed in the next release

Quote:
Display error with these text-boxes. Left MR, middle Marvin, right BF
Got it, will also be fixed in the next release. Should have some books with code and text blocks so will use them to check.

Quote:
separate options for horizontal and vertical margins
Under margins there are already two different buttons or options for vertical and horizontal margins. See below.

Quote:
button for jumping back and forth between reading positions.
A back button is currently displayed at the bottom left when the reader navigates to another part of the book using the table of contents, links internally in the book or foot notes to navigate back though all those previous reading positions.

We are currently working on an update that will also add changes made when using the progress bar to the back stack. To allow for readers to quickly jump back between those as well.

Quote:
P.S.: Export of annotations is the best I have seen so far!
Happy you like this. We are currently working on an Obsidian plugin at the moment and will be providing raw API access to highlights and notes soon as well. Will follow up once the items I mentioned working on gets resolved
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 11:44 AM   #259
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Mapleread - we really need a new forum for MapleRead since it is still being updated.

Current problem - since last update SE 5.0.1, the OPDS does not work. I can see the books from Calibre, but MapleRead is missing the icon on the top to add the books. Anything changed that I'm missing?

It turns out that I was trying to add a docx file and it will no longer let me do that.
Also discovered I have to edit the OPDS connection EVERY time, even if I just downloaded books. Maybe it is not all bad the Marvin is not being updated if MapleRead keeps fiddling and breaking things.

Last edited by peaceridge; 10-26-2023 at 10:25 AM. Reason: solved 1 problem, found another
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:36 PM   #260
Cygnus
Cygnus began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 14 Pro Max
iMazing Worked...eventually.

I had to replace my iPhone 14, and didn't realize Marvin SXS was gone from the app store.

After some googling I discovered this forum and the thread about using imazing to restore Marvin. I grabbed my wife's phone since the purchase was through my account, and while most the apps would appear under device and my library, Marvin did not, and an error was thrown when I tried to get it to download from the cloud.

I then found my old iPad (from before lightning connectors) running ios 9 and loaded it into iMazing. I discovered that Marvin was not on it, BUT with that old device connected I could now download Marvin from apple into the My Library section of iMazing. Then I just clicked the button to install it on my iPhone from the IPA file and its back up and running on my replacement phone! no clue why it allowed me to restore it to the library when it wasn't installed on the old iPad.

On another note, before I discovered this method I did try i2Reader since it had OPDS capability. It was OK once I tweaked it a bit, but I did miss the feature of changing brightness by swiping up and down the middle of the screen.
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2023, 08:41 PM   #261
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you got it working!

And Welcome to MR!!
Old 11-03-2023, 08:32 PM   #262
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
[/LIST]
Previously replied to a few of your posts were we already addressed some of those points. However we just released another updated that addressed a few of your other points:

Quote:
Text Selection Context Menu is very short and the boxes are very narrow. Depending on the device you could extend it so scrolling is not needed anymore
Fixed in the latest release. Now adjusts for bigger devices

Quote:
after selecting an app in share context menu and going back to BF the share pop-up is still there and blocking everything. It only disappears when you select an app from it again.
Fixed and should no longer be an issue. It will only remain open if you did not complete the share action by sharing to another app

Quote:
Display error with these text-boxes. Left MR, middle Marvin, right BF
Now fixed for default theme(white). Custom themes and other colors will override these boxes

Quote:
button for jumping back and forth between reading positions.
A back button is displayed at the bottom right in the progress bar when you navigate via any hyperlink, TOC and now even using the slider. You can now navigate back to all previous positions

Discussed the other updates at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=168. Do you mind channeling the responses or feedback there so we can isolate from this thread?
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:36 PM   #263
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillachie View Post
Previously replied to a few of your posts were we already addressed some of those points. However we just released another updated that addressed a few of your other points:

Fixed in the latest release. Now adjusts for bigger devices

Fixed and should no longer be an issue. It will only remain open if you did not complete the share action by sharing to another app

Now fixed for default theme(white). Custom themes and other colors will override these boxes

A back button is displayed at the bottom right in the progress bar when you navigate via any hyperlink, TOC and now even using the slider. You can now navigate back to all previous positions

Discussed the other updates at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=168. Do you mind channeling the responses or feedback there so we can isolate from this thread?
STILL BROKEN! The page numbering is still very much broken. Are you going to fix this?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 07:28 AM   #264
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Jon, please take this to the other thread… and we know your very specific requests about page numbers/counting… doesn’t mean others agree.
Old 11-04-2023, 04:20 PM   #265
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Jon, please take this to the other thread… and we know your very specific requests about page numbers/counting… doesn’t mean others agree.
You do have the right to be wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:45 PM   #266
erikbennett
erikbennett began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Just wanted to say thank you so much for the instructions on restoring the app from my previous iPad. Marvin is back up and running!

But, a word of warning to everyone using this method. I tried using it on an older app I still had, and even though it was able to download the IPA, once I tried actually installing it to the device, it failed at a certificate check in the process.

So it seems like this is a stopgap measure and will likely stop working sometime in the future when certificates are rotated again, or something similar. Just FYI!
erikbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 02:48 PM   #267
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Do you have any more details?? Not sure what failure you are referencing. If it is a repeatable issue we might submit that to imazing for a fix???
Old 11-11-2023, 02:56 PM   #268
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
I assume that the app is simply too old for the current iOS - quite simply
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 04:36 AM   #269
sh2sg
sh2sg began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
I just came across this issue today, I have Marvin3 installed on 2 iPhones (Xs, Xr), both have various in-app purchases. Both worked perfectly fine. The Xr had "Offload Apps" enabled (stupid me), and Marvin3 was removed since I read books on the other phone most of time. Now I couldn't get it back to Xr, it does not exist in the AppStore, neither in purchase history...
sh2sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 05:30 AM   #270
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2sg View Post
I just came across this issue today, I have Marvin3 installed on 2 iPhones (Xs, Xr), both have various in-app purchases. Both worked perfectly fine. The Xr had "Offload Apps" enabled (stupid me), and Marvin3 was removed since I read books on the other phone most of time. Now I couldn't get it back to Xr, it does not exist in the AppStore, neither in purchase history...
Welcome to MR!

Read the previous page. I included a step-by-step on how to fix it.