Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #241
dskag
Enthusiast
dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle
Reading DRM protected Library books on Kindle

Please forgive me if this has been covered. Anything I've found so far does not solve my problem. I have Igor's scripts. I've gotten as far as generating the PID of my Kindle. I've tried to run kindlefix.py in the command prompt but I get an error message that the PID is not in the right format, although it is exactly as generated by the script. Don't know where to go from here. I'm running Vista and my library lends DRM ebooks in Mobipocket format. Do the book and script files have to be in the same folder? Please direct me to step-by-step detailed instructions which include where the files are supposed to be on your hard drive, etc. Thanks.
dskag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #242
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskag View Post
I've tried to run kindlefix.py in the command prompt but I get an error message that the PID is not in the right format, although it is exactly as generated by the script.
If you get an error message from kindlefix, then most likely you are running python correctly (it is no response at all that you need to worry about). This error is often caused by a filename with spaces in it:

Code:
link removed on Amazon's request
The kindlefix script then thinks "Title.mobi" is the PID. Instead, use:

Code:
link removed on Amazon's request
If this isn't the problem, see How to make Igor's script work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #243
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskag View Post
....I'm running Vista...
Isn't there an issue with Vista? I know Mobipocket Reader 6.0 won't recognize the Kindle if run on Vista.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #244
dskag
Enthusiast
dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

TheJohnNewton:

I am running Vista and Mobipocket 6.2. It recognizes my Kindle. I've run the kindlepid script and got my pid. I entered it into Mobipocket Reader where you can edit setting for reading devices.

When I run the kindlefix on protected .prc files purchased from both Mobipocket.com and Fictionwise.com, it goes through everything fine until the last line where I get an error message "The PID does not match this file" or something like that. I've tried typing it in with quotes and without. Nothing seems to work. Has this happened to anyone else? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #245
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Did you register your PID on the sites in question? I don't believe MobiPocket will accept that PID. I am not sure about fictionwise. There are two different DRM servers. One will accept the PID and one won't (MobiPocket intentionally broke this). If you can register your PID then the books will work. If you failed to register and now register it then you will need to redownload the books.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #246
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I don't believe MobiPocket will accept that PID. I am not sure about fictionwise.
FictionWise will accept the PID. For the ebooks from mobipocket.com, your only option is to strip the DRM with mobidedrm.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #247
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
FictionWise will accept the PID. For the ebooks from mobipocket.com, your only option is to strip the DRM with mobidedrm.
Or request a refund since you can't use it.

Dale
Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #248
dskag
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Did you register your PID on the sites in question? I don't believe MobiPocket will accept that PID. I am not sure about fictionwise. There are two different DRM servers. One will accept the PID and one won't (MobiPocket intentionally broke this). If you can register your PID then the books will work. If you failed to register and now register it then you will need to redownload the books.

Dale
Thanks, DaleDE. Yes, I did register my Kindle PID with Fictionwise. But still could not get the kindlefix.py to work. I will try using the quotes as WallCraft
suggest.

I could strip the DRM, but I'd rather not do that if I can get the kindlefix.py to work.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #249
dskag
Enthusiast

Kindle can't open kindlefixed books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I got all of igor's scripts to work on my Overdrive downloaded library ebooks. Kindlefix.py generates an .azw file just fine. However, when I put on my Kindle and try to open it. I get a message that says it 'can't be opened and to contact Amazon if it was purchased there'. My Kindle PID is registered with the library. Is this something new that's happening? Is there a newer version of the scripts that addresses this? I think I have the latest version.

I tried running MobiDeDrm and it works great. So, I know my PID is correct. I don't want to have to do it this way but all I want is to read these books on my Kindle. I'm not selling or even sharing them.

Anyone else having this result?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #250
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Some have indicated some sort of glitch in the data base and they had to get the company to remove their registration and then they reentered it. Something about the database removing the * in the PID
Old 09-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #251
LakesideReader
LakesideReader is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon K1, K3
Wow...because of this thread I am now able to read my library ebooks (Mobipocket format) on my Kindle.

Thanks to daffy4u, carld, leep, and igorsk!

LakesideReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #252
jmccu
jmccu began at the beginning.

I have Vista and I'm trying to get my Kindle PID to view DRM Mobipocket books from my library.

I have downloaded and installed Python. I installed version 2.6. Then downloaded and unziped Igor's scripts. Then moved the scripts to c:\Python26\Tools\Scripts. I am having trouble with the next steps.

I am not great with computers and apologize if this is a basic question. I would love to read library books on my Kindle. I greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide.
jmccu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #253
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccu View Post
I am not great with computers and apologize if this is a basic question. I would love to read library books on my Kindle. I greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Have you tried following the Visual Kindle Guide on our Wiki?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Visual_Kindle_Guide

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #254
jmccu

Thanks, the linked worked perfect. You are the man!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #255
jmccu

Is there a way to change how the titles appear on your Kindle? After converting mobipocket books to kindle format and adding them to my kindle, the titles on the homepage appear funky. Some have no titles and some have strange symbol font. Is there a way to change this? Thanks