Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #211
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guspasho View Post
How does doubling the RAM help? It's a book reader, as you say.

The screen upgrade seems like a minor improvement to me. Granted, I need to see one in a store to be sure but I'm unable to tell the difference from the YouTube videos. There's also a trade-off in that the battery life is reduced 25%. Too bad it doesn't have a light sensor.
The extra RAM will allow more complex firmware, and more caching of book information, possibly leading to faster page turns.

It's unsurprising that any screen difference isn't visible in Youtube videos. The PW3 have about 1000 pixels across the page, compared to about 750 on the PW2. Even a Youtube video at 1280x720 isn't going to be sharp enough when showing the screens side by side.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #212
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The extra RAM will allow more complex firmware, and more caching of book information, possibly leading to faster page turns.

It's unsurprising that any screen difference isn't visible in Youtube videos. The PW3 have about 1000 pixels across the page, compared to about 750 on the PW2. Even a Youtube video at 1280x720 isn't going to be sharp enough when showing the screens side by side.
It's very noticeable that the Voyage, which also has double the RAM of the PW2, is dramatically faster at indexing books than the PW2 is; that's an area where the extra RAM certainly seems to make a significant difference.

When you see the screens side-by-side, the extra resolution is definitely noticeable; text looks crisper and sharper on the higher-resolution screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #213
wlsinwi
Enthusiast
wlsinwi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Touch and Paperwhite1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
According to the unboxing video I just looked at it came with a black cable.
Thanks!
wlsinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #214
tygn
tygn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have PW2 and wondering if it will be a big difference switch to 300 PPI? Honestly, I always read converted epub files by Calibre and not sure if it upgrading will be noticeable since my books are not Amazon crafted books/
tygn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #215
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Amazon or Calibre books will all be sharper. Its the difference between looking at a magazine photo or newspaper photo. The text will be far sharper.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #216
tygn

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
Amazon or Calibre books will all be sharper. Its the difference between looking at a magazine photo or newspaper photo. The text will be far sharper.
Thank you,

Just bought the PW2 month ago and now it's feel like I'm into some 'must buy newer model addiction' But to be honest, I guess/hope better PPI would be easier and better on my eyes since my prescription glasses slightly changing every year.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #217
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygn View Post
Thank you,

Just bought the PW2 month ago and now it's feel like I'm into some 'must buy newer model addiction' But to be honest, I guess/hope better PPI would be easier and better on my eyes since my prescription glasses slightly changing every year.
I have lots of issues with my eyes and I find the PW2 to be very good to read. I compared the PW2 with the voyage and really could not see enough difference to pay that much more for the voyage, and seeing I only got my PW2 about 2 months ago now I cannot see running out and getting the PW3. When and if my PW2 stops working I will be getting a new e-ink at that time. And who know what will be available then. I figured out a long time ago that by the time a new device makes it to the public it is already being replaced by something new. So I get what I need and not worry about what is coming.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #218
tygn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have lots of issues with my eyes and I find the PW2 to be very good to read. I compared the PW2 with the voyage and really could not see enough difference to pay that much more for the voyage, and seeing I only got my PW2 about 2 months ago now I cannot see running out and getting the PW3. When and if my PW2 stops working I will be getting a new e-ink at that time. And who know what will be available then. I figured out a long time ago that by the time a new device makes it to the public it is already being replaced by something new. So I get what I need and not worry about what is coming.
Thanks for the comment. I've started with Kindle Touch, then I realize it would be great to be able to read at night and bought PW2. Now I found a buyer who's willing to pay same price as I paid for PW2 plus my gift cards I won't be paying extra if I buy PW3 but still feels if it's useless upgrade.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #219
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I've owned a Kobo Glo HD which has the new hi-def screen and compared a Voyage and PW2 in-store. There is a difference between the two screens, but not much. It would be more useful for footnotes and reading tiny fonts than it would be for general reading. There hasn't been much practical upgrade in screen quality since pearl. Also, for some reason the new screens can't flip as quickly as pearl, which for me is a downgrade.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #220
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I've owned a Kobo Glo HD which has the new hi-def screen and compared a Voyage and PW2 in-store. There is a difference between the two screens, but not much. It would be more useful for footnotes and reading tiny fonts than it would be for general reading. There hasn't been much practical upgrade in screen quality since pearl. Also, for some reason the new screens can't flip as quickly as pearl, which for me is a downgrade.
Pearl screens are lower resolution. The new Carta screens are of a much higher resolution. So they take more to change the screen. But I don't find it too slow to turn the page. The resolution, better black, and lighter background makes Carta noticeably better than Pearl.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #221
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Of course, the Voyage screen is higher resolution than my PW1 or PW2. It's the insertion of qualifiers like "much higher", "much better", and "clearly sharper" that I find silly.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #222
wlsinwi
Enthusiast
wlsinwi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Touch and Paperwhite1 and 2
Quote:
I have PW2 and wondering if it will be a big difference switch to 300 PPI? Honestly, I always read converted epub files by Calibre and not sure if it upgrading will be noticeable since my books are not Amazon crafted books/
I think it will be noticeable. I bought my PW2 when it first came out. It won't be worth as much as it is now before the next one is out and I'm getting a storage doubling from 2gb to 4 gb a ppi doubling and a ram doubling. I also have the leather case which carries over. I think it is worth it.
wlsinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #223
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Where the books came from won't make a difference.

As to if it'll be a big difference. It's hard to say what an individual will perceive. Some can't tell the difference between an iPad 2 or Mini vs the versions of those with higher ppi Retina screens. I mean the difference is there, but not everyone will see it. Others will see it, but feel it makes little difference in their reading experience.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #224
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Pearl screens are lower resolution. The new Carta screens are of a much higher resolution. So they take more to change the screen. But I don't find it too slow to turn the page. The resolution, better black, and lighter background makes Carta noticeably better than Pearl.
I don't think that's the cause. The page transitions are just fundamentally different. On pearl you can scroll so fast that the pages merge. Carta insists on a page refresh between pages. I'd think it was software, but all the carta devices I've used (Kobo and Kindle) behave the same.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #225
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I don't think that's the cause. The page transitions are just fundamentally different. On pearl you can scroll so fast that the pages merge. Carta insists on a page refresh between pages. I'd think it was software, but all the carta devices I've used (Kobo and Kindle) behave the same.
Carta screens do not insist on a refresh between pages. I have my H2O set for a refresh every 12 pages and I don't have any problem with that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote