Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #196
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Two: Kindle Oasis and Kobo Mini.

The Oasis is used around the house to read for long stretches of time. The Kobo is a throwaway reader I can toss in my backpack or glove box if I’m going out somewhere and want to bring along a book.

But the reality is the only device I have on me all the time is my Samsung smartphone and that’s what I end up reading most on. Dark mode on an OLED display is the next best thing to eInk in my opinion. For this reason, I don’t see a need to own any more than 2 eInk devices.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:46 AM   #197
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
four - i think. i just got a kindle paperwhite, but somewhere in the house is a prehistoric cybook gen 3, a kindle DX (2nd Generation) and a kindle (2nd Generation).
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #198
Millimole
Millimole began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen
I've recently moved all my reading onto a Boox Poke2 (Am I alone in liking smaller readers?) and have put my Inkbook and Kindle Paperwhite into semi-retirement.

The lack of backlight on the Inkbook was frustrating, and the Kindle is starting to show its age after my wife's heavy use of it.
There's a variety of ancient readers knocking around somewhere including a Kobo & Cybook, which were probably retired due to them failing.
Millimole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #199
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I'm down a couple as of this past week. Traded two for my new Oasis. I still have a basic Kindle (pre-frontlight model) as a backup, though. So I technically have two.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #200
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'm down a couple as of this past week. Traded two for my new Oasis. I still have a basic Kindle (pre-frontlight model) as a backup, though. So I technically have two.
Yay, darling! New reader May you enjoy it in good health and may it make you laugh and smile!

As for the question:

I have one. Had two for a couple of month and just like before when I had two, I find it too much of a hassle to update and charge the second reader all the time.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #201
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Yay, darling! New reader May you enjoy it in good health and may it make you laugh and smile!

My batty baby! Hello! Yes, I love the new Oasis! I never thought I'd so easily give up my Voyage, but it turned out to be the right decision for me. And it turns out that I even enjoy holding it naked (the Oasis, not me) so I bought a sturdy sleeve for it to live in.

Haven't named it yet. Maybe I'll name it "Alba" after those cute little fuzzball bats that make leaf tents. After all, reading a good book feels like being nestled in my own little tent.

CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #202
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Three. Started off with a Nook, then the Paperwhite and just got the Oasis.

The Oasis is now the designated book/novel reader and the PW for Send to Kindle and Calibre docs and newsfeed.

I checked the Nook for the first time in many years and it still works perfectly. It's from 2011 and doesn't have a front light. I've been keeping it around as a backup in the case something happened to the PW. Now that I have the Oasis, I'm wondering what to do with the Nook. I'm pleasantly surprised it still works well and a part of me thinks it's a shame it's going unused. What can I do with it? I thought about making it a recipe holder but then I have to convert recipes and upload to it...And that's too much work if I can now easily access recipes on my phone and laptop.

Would someone buy it? If not, maybe I should donate it?
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #203
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Iriver Story Hd for novels and collections.

It can take an sd card, so in theory it can handle a larger library. It doesn't have collections, and it doesn't let me mark books as read, so it's better for a few long novels and collections than a lot of short stories.

Kindle 5 for short stories and reference books. It can't take an sd card. It does have collections, and I can easily update these using Calibre. I can also move books to a "Fict Reading" or "History Reading" as I start them and "to log" or "to cut" as I finish them.

Kindle Dx for pdfs, since I haven't been able to use older tablets and don't want to spend extra on a newer tablet. It has similar weaknesses and strengths to the K5. I really have to pre-process the pdfs for it.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #204
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Three. Started off with a Nook, then the Paperwhite and just got the Oasis.

The Oasis is now the designated book/novel reader and the PW for Send to Kindle and Calibre docs and newsfeed.

I checked the Nook for the first time in many years and it still works perfectly. It's from 2011 and doesn't have a front light. I've been keeping it around as a backup in the case something happened to the PW. Now that I have the Oasis, I'm wondering what to do with the Nook. I'm pleasantly surprised it still works well and a part of me thinks it's a shame it's going unused. What can I do with it? I thought about making it a recipe holder but then I have to convert recipes and upload to it...And that's too much work if I can now easily access recipes on my phone and laptop.

Would someone buy it? If not, maybe I should donate it?

Post your request in the Flea Market Forum and see if anyone is interested in an old device. And then if no one wants it, you should donate it.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:57 AM   #205
cajunrph
cajunrph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis 2 & 3, Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight 3
Two Oasis (Gen one and two), One Kobo Forma, One Kobo Libra (on the way), B&N Glowlight 3, A paper white somewhere and a older gen Kindle. I’m getting away from the Amazon ecosystem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
cajunrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #206
kenmac999
kenmac999 began at the beginning.

Device: Devices: Motorola G Power 5G, ASUS C436F Chromebook, Kindle Fire 7" Ap
Two Kindle fire 7" (5th and 9th gen) with FBReader, NOOK, KIndle App, Overdrive and Chirp installed; Moto G Power with same apps; Chromebook with FBreader (use web based version of other apps). I primarily use FBReader as my goto app for ebook reading since it wil sync across all devices. I fall back to the others when ebook not available as open epub.
kenmac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:35 AM   #207
helen19770707
Connoisseur
helen19770707 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx C67 kindle Onyx Note
ipad2017 & Boox note3.
helen19770707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #208
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Update: now are 3.
Kindle Paperwhite 7th generation
Kobo Aura One
PB633 Color (I could not resist to the color)

I'm waiting for the release of a new Kobo ereader...
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:53 PM   #209
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
I am using 2: forma and oasis.
Still have 8:
Kobo: forma, aura one, h2o and glo HD.
Sony: t3
Kindle: oasis, dx and paperwhite.

Waiting for color 10” with light.

Last edited by hel; 12-15-2020 at 10:05 PM.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:51 AM   #210
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Waiting for color 10” with backlight.
Something like that already exists - it's called "tablet".
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote