Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #181
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
can you make this clearer then:

How Many Nominations Can I Make?
Each participant has 3 nominations. You can nominate a new book for consideration or nominate (second, third) one that has already been nominated by another person.

Apparently it's not as clear as I thought it was.

BOb
I thought it was, myself, but I've just realised I wasn't clear either

What worked for me so far: three nominations of books + three supporting votes for nominated books. I care about reading something interesting, so perhaps I'm just more into this than most, but I do feel that the 'three in total' is very restrictive.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #182
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I would say three "votes" that can be any combination of nominations or seconds/thirds.

it that's the intent.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #183
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Personally, I think 3 opportunities to support a book is about right - it makes me consider how I use them.

Last edited by Sparrow; 01-22-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #184
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Well , stupid me. I thought I can nominate 1 book myself and support another. Next time, read the rules before you join.

Will go back through thread and count what damages I have done so far and if I can nomintate another book.

Can I use my nomination / vote also as negative to ditch a book?
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #185
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I would say three "votes" that can be any combination of nominations or seconds/thirds.

it that's the intent.
Sure. I've just never made the connection before - in a year. And apparently a number of other people haven't either, so I suggest we either modify the rules - or modify the way they are presented. But if everyone but me are happy with status quo, I'm fine, too
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #186
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Personally, I think 3 noms is about right - it makes me consider how I use them.
Yes, but... nominating and voting for -is two different things. ... Am I starting to sound like Jon? Sorry....
Old 01-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #187
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Yes, but... nominating and voting for -is two different things. ...
Yes, you're right - I'll amend my post.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #188
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yes, but... nominating and voting for -is two different things. ... Am I starting to sound like Jon? Sorry....
A nomination is a nomination... being the first nomination for a book is still a "vote" for that book.

But, I can see how people misunderstood the rule as I wrote/explained it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #189
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Well , stupid me. I thought I can nominate 1 book myself and support another. Next time, read the rules before you join.
You can use your 3 nominations anyway you want. Some people never suggest books they just second/third other's firsts. Some people do nothing but three initial nominations...

i'm not sure if it is fair to those that don't use their 3 nominations as first that others that do should get 6 nominations while they only get 3.

Still, I have no problem changing this... I guess I can start another thread/poll on it.

BOb
Old 01-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #190
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
You can use your 3 nominations anyway you want. Some people never suggest books they just second/third other's firsts. Some people do nothing but three initial nominations...

i'm not sure if it is fair to those that don't use their 3 nominations as first that others that do should get 6 nominations while they only get 3.

Still, I have no problem changing this... I guess I can start another thread/poll on it.

BOb
Soz Bob - was just having you on. I'm happy with the way it is. Stop banging your head against the wall - just gives you a headache. I've nominated a book and second (or third) one other. That will do me. Now let democracy take it's course and wait for the outcome (which might see me hightailing to the hills, but that's my personal choice)
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #191
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
You can use your 3 nominations anyway you want. Some people never suggest books they just second/third other's firsts. Some people do nothing but three initial nominations
I've done a good deal more than that.... Never questioned.

Quote:
BOb
Well, if everyone have three nominations, and then three votes on the nominations... Wouldn't that sound fair? I do think it does.

I'm just questioning all this because I actually like rules - but if they are ambiguous, as they seem to be, I'd like to learn what's what or not.

And I dont want to hide that I think 3 in total, nomination plus voting for a nominatedn book, is too little in my opinion.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #192
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And I dont want to hide that I think 3 in total, nomination plus voting for a nominatedn book, is too little in my opinion.
Yep... I got that.

BOb
Old 01-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #193
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I love this thread

But, could it please be moved to a new Forum called something like 'Pointless Points of Order' so that us fans of barrack room lawyers in all their guises can locate it more easily? At the moment it is buried in a Reading Recommendations Forum for no reason that I can see.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #194
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Yep... I got that.

BOb
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I love this thread

But, could it please be moved to a new Forum called something like 'Pointless Points of Order' so that us fans of barrack room lawyers in all their guises can locate it more easily? At the moment it is buried in a Reading Recommendations Forum for no reason that I can see.
Oops! Oh, I'm so sorry! I guess I need to find myself a new job

Last edited by Ea; 01-23-2010 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #195
christie
christie began at the beginning.

Device: pda, K2, nook
Quote:
Is this in the Romance genre? It doesn't sound like it. But, what do I know about romance?

BOb
There is a nice romantic theme in the story. It is not strictly romance, though, no. Of course, if I went to a bookstore and walked to the romance section, only Shadow Games (of the books officially nominated so far) would be found in that area. So I thought of a book men might like to read as well.

Instead I'll nominate First Lady by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Daughter of a powerful politician and widow of an assassinated president, Cornelia (Nealy) Litchfield Case has spent her entire life under Secret Service and media scrutiny. When her father insists that she continue the first lady's social duties for the new bachelor president, she instead resolves to break out of her glamorous prison and live life as a normal American. She knows that she can't elude the Secret Service forever, but every moment of anonymity is priceless.

Mat Jorik is a pushover for a female in trouble. When his ex-wife dies and leaves him her two daughters, he agrees to drive them from the East Coast to their grandmother's Iowa home. They haven't gone far when he takes pity on another female and offers her a ride in return for her care of the baby and teenager. Nealy accepts his offer. Little does she know when she climbs into the Winnebago that she's about to lose her heart to two kids and a handsome man who she thinks is a steelworker. When Nealy discovers his real job, Mat may wish he'd confessed earlier. In the meantime, they're off on an adventure, the likes of which Nealy's never had before. But the Secret Service is hot on Nealy's trail and despite her best efforts, she's bound to be caught. The question is, what will happen to this slapdash family when they're found?

Last edited by christie; 01-22-2010 at 07:13 PM.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote