Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #181
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My Voyage screen seems perfect, and I have both Paperwhites to compare it to. The color and brightness is more even than on the Paperwhites.

Remember when the Paperwhite 1 first was available there were a few people reporting flaws. It was probably a bad batch or something but I'm just guessing. Still, people commented about being afraid to get one even long after the PW2 was available. I bought the PW1 early and mine was perfect. A few of my neighbors bought them and theirs were perfect. My Voyage is perfect. Uneven light is simply not a normal characteristic of the Voyage and if you did happen to get one you could exchange it, I'm sure.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #182
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't need to compare the specs: I have a Voyage and a PW and I can see them side by side. The Voyage is a significantly different, and far better, reader. Significantly smaller form factor, metal case, glass (rather than plastic) screen, page turn sensors, adaptive light sensor; all better than the PW. The only difference between the PW2 and 3 is the screen, and the screen was never (for me at least) the main attraction of the Voyage.
You do need to compare the specs. You just described your preferences but objective facts do matter more.. You should know this.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I15SB16/...kindle-compare
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #183
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, I've told you what the differences between the two devices are; it's the decision of the individual purchaser to decide whether those differences justify the price differential. For me they do, but another person might reach a different conclusion. Neither is right or wrong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #184
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
No, I've told you what the differences between the two devices are; it's the decision of the individual purchaser to decide whether those differences justify the price differential. For me they do, but another person might reach a different conclusion. Neither is right or wrong.
If you compare the specs you're comparing objective values.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #185
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jo, I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about . In my post I listed the differences and said that for me they made the Voyage a better reader. We seem to be saying the same thing!
Advert
Old 06-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #186
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
And yet when I stated that after trying the PW2 and the Voyage next to each other, and that I was surprised by how similar they were, you asserted that I couldn't actually have used them
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #187
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
If you compare the specs you're comparing objective values.
He is... he's comparing dimensions and build material.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #188
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
If you are talking electronics I believe I read they are the same the only difference being the page buttons and the auto light changes. At least with the PW and the voyage the firmware is the same and I expect the PW3 firmware will also be pushed to the PW2 and the voyage sometime after the PW3 ships.

As far as I am concerned the difference in the e-ink screens is not enough to get me excited enough to go out and get it. Also seeing I just go my PW2 a little over a month ago. Who know what will be out by the time I am in the real need for a new device.

Last edited by cvkemp; 06-23-2015 at 03:52 PM.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #189
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
And yet when I stated that after trying the PW2 and the Voyage next to each other, and that I was surprised by how similar they were, you asserted that I couldn't actually have used them
No, the post in which I said that was not directed at you; it was in response to post #121 by "Readirect".
Old 06-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #190
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
You do need to compare the specs. You just described your preferences but objective facts do matter more.. You should know this.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I15SB16/...kindle-compare
I don't see any subjective descriptions in HarryT's post. They are all objective descriptions of the differences of the devices.
The only subjective thing is his opinion that the voyage is a far better reader. Weighting the differences is subjective. Some like bigger devices, some just don't care about features etc. But that in no way eliminates the differences.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #191
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
There are certainly differences.

The crux of the matter is whether those extra features are worth the price difference. To some they are. To others they aren't.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #192
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
May I ask how much time you've actually spent using one to allow you to reach this conclusion?

As you'd know if you ever had actually done so, the haptic sensor is a lot larger than a physical button; you can press any point on the lower half of the bezel to turn the page.
For me, the positioning of the Voyage buttons still sucks. I've gotten used to it, but never really liked them. The real problem for me is the bezel is too thin, when you have a capacitive touch panel right next to it on a flat surface. My thumbs aren't small, but not overly huge either. So I tend to do what you do, which is try to grip the Voyage so I can just press down with my thumb and get a page turn. Except it just isn't ideal:

1) If my thumb rolls too much trying to hold the Voyage by the bezel one-handed, I get unintentional touches on the touchscreen.
2) Holding the Voyage one-handed is just uncomfortable, requiring me to change my grip frequently, which usually triggers #1 too.

Honestly, I miss the PW2's bezel where I just rolled my thumb onto the screen and that put me on the next page, but was wide enough for a good grip when holding it one handed. It is possible that a case would help here, maybe.

Harry, you and Wolf both come across as arguing your personal viewpoints without acknowledging that others can have differing opinions and experiences with these devices that in no way invalidate your own. It's getting rather tiresome, to be honest.

I'm going to go back to reading and waiting for my PW3 on pre-order, because I'm a sucker.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #193
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Harry, you and Wolf both come across as arguing your personal viewpoints without acknowledging that others can have differing opinions and experiences with these devices that in no way invalidate your own.
I'm honestly not sure how you can reach that conclusion when I specifically said a few posts ago:

Quote:
...it's the decision of the individual purchaser to decide whether those differences [between the PW and the Voyage] justify the price differential. For me they do, but another person might reach a different conclusion. Neither is right or wrong.
I'm categorically not telling anyone else what they should do. Look at the devices and make your own mind up! I just find it a little irritating when people start making pronouncements about devices that they've very plainly never used.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-24-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #194
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm kind of underwhelmed by the relatively minor update, but it's been a year and a half since the PW2 came out. Will they release a new model in the fall, with more compelling upgrades?
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #195
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I very much doubt it.