Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #151
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...or maybe not the same category within X number of months.
I would trust you to keep us with a good dose of variety if you were in charge of the category for the month. Most of me thinks putting you in charge is the best route and you can do whatever polls, threads, discussions, even PMs to decide what the direction would be.

I'd like to see a month every now and then when we take an individual member and have them give us a list of favorites to vote to read one from. I think that would satisfy my curiosity and get us some really varied potential reads.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #152
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
...or maybe not the same category within X number of months.
Please dump clasic. It causes no end of trouble. Romance also can go as it's one of the categories that we end up with some really old awful book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #153
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please dump clasic. It causes no end of trouble.
Well, if you're sincere about wanting an end to any trouble occasioned by classics, there's a really simple solution.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, if you're sincere about wanting an end to any trouble occasioned by classics, there's a really simple solution.
Yes, the one I mentioned.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #155
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, the one I mentioned.
QED..
Advert
Old 02-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #156
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Please dump clasic. It causes no end of trouble. Romance also can go as it's one of the categories that we end up with some really old awful book.
The thing about classics is that they became classics for a reason. So I can't say I agree that they are all (or even mostly) awful. Writing styles may have changed over the yrs, but that doesn't make a book awful either. For that matter though a book doesn't have to be old to be awful. There are new turkeys being written all the time. And more are seeing print than in the old days because anyone can self-publish a book now unlike in the old days not so long ago.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #157
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
The thing about classics is that they became classics for a reason. So I can't say I agree that they are all (or even mostly) awful. Writing styles may have changed over the yrs, but that doesn't make a book awful either. For that matter though a book doesn't have to be old to be awful. There are new turkeys being written all the time. And more are seeing print than in the old days because anyone can self-publish a book now unlike in the old days not so long ago.
I wasn't commenting on how good or not a classic is. But sometimes it's just a hassle that month in the nominating phase. If I nominate, I'll try to nominate something I think will be an easy enough read if it's an older book or if not, I'll try to find something that's a bit more modern. Some think a classic has to be old to be a classic. I think that's not so. For example, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a classic and it's not that old.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #158
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wasn't commenting on how good or not a classic is. But sometimes it's just a hassle that month in the nominating phase. If I nominate, I'll try to nominate something I think will be an easy enough read if it's an older book or if not, I'll try to find something that's a bit more modern. Some think a classic has to be old to be a classic. I think that's not so. For example, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a classic and it's not that old.
Ah ok. Sorry for the misunderstanding. HHGTTG is fun no matter the media. I have the 1980's TV episodes on DVD. A bit low tech compared to today but they made do with what they had. As I recall the book got it's start one night in a field in Insbrook Germany. Mr Adams had been drinking and thinking about a book "The Hitchhikers Guide to Europe" and had the thought of such a book for the Galaxy. The rest is history. I wonder if Ford Prefect added that to the book.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #159
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Ah ok. Sorry for the misunderstanding. HHGTTG is fun no matter the media. I have the 1980's TV episodes on DVD. A bit low tech compared to today but they made do with what they had. As I recall the book got it's start one night in a field in Insbrook Germany. Mr Adams had been drinking and thinking about a book "The Hitchhikers Guide to Europe" and had the thought of such a book for the Galaxy. The rest is history. I wonder if Ford Prefect added that to the book.
I really would like to see classic where the books nominated (overall) were not of the old and dull variety. We seem to get that every time classic comes up for nomination. It's kike most people ignore books that are more modern. Like if a book is not at least so old, it cannot be a classic. It's usually the same sorts of old books nominated and (IMHO), it makes classic a slog of a month because a lot of the books nominated are just dull.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #160
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I really would like to see classic where the books nominated (overall) were not of the old and dull variety. We seem to get that every time classic comes up for nomination. It's kike most people ignore books that are more modern. Like if a book is not at least so old, it cannot be a classic. It's usually the same sorts of old books nominated and (IMHO), it makes classic a slog of a month because a lot of the books nominated are just dull.
I think we can take it as a given that no one sets out to nominate a dull book. People suggest the type of books they like. If people "ignore" modern classics, it's because they prefer to nominate or vote for something else, and maybe it's an older, but not dull to them, something else.

I'm saying this because after all this time, I really don't understand your vendetta against classic month. I get it, you don't like older, canon, Victorian, public domain, whatever. But do you really expect the category for each month, and the selection for each month, to be exactly to your taste? That's flatly unreasonable. It's a big group with catholic interests. Just speaking personally, I'm pretty confident that the MR Club of Books only with the JSWolf Stamp of Approval would have little to offer me. I like classics, I don't like SF. That's ok. I'd never dream of suggesting that SF as a category shouldn't exist.

I see two possibilities. The first, of course, would be to let it go. The second would be to try to work within the parameter any given month and come up with a suggestion that you'd enjoy and that others would enjoy, too. Heck, I nominated the winner for Horror month one year, so it can be done.

Last edited by issybird; 02-21-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #161
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
For the 2016 categories, as a 1st step, can we....

Quote:
...I have the 1980's TV episodes on DVD. A bit low tech compared to today but they made do with what they had....
"Marvin" was perfect in that TV show. Big, clunky, and looking just the way a properly-depressed paranoid android should look. I never liked the oh-so-cute Disney version of Marvin. In fact, I really liked the casting better in the TV series better altogether. They didn't have the tech, but they had the spirit of the series down part. I liked the radio show, too, as that came even before the books.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #162
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think we can take it as a given that no one sets out to nominate a dull book. People suggest the type of books they like. If people "ignore" modern classics, it's because they prefer to nominate or vote for something else, and maybe it's an older, but not dull to them, something else.

I'm saying this because after all this time, I really don't understand your vendetta against classic month. I get it, you don't like older, canon, Victorian, public domain, whatever. But do you really expect the category for each month, and the selection for each month, to be exactly to your taste? That's flatly unreasonable. It's a big group with catholic interests. Just speaking personally, I'm pretty confident that the MR Club of Books only with the JSWolf Stamp of Approval would have little to offer me. I like classics, I don't like SF. That's ok. I'd never dream of suggesting that SF as a category shouldn't exist.

I see two possibilities. The first, of course, would be to let it go. The second would be to try to work within the parameter any given month and come up with a suggestion that you'd enjoy and that others would enjoy, too. Heck, I nominated the winner for Horror month one year, so it can be done.
I would really like to see what people feel are modern classics. That to me would be more interesting then the old classics that we already know of.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #163
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
"Marvin" was perfect in that TV show. Big, clunky, and looking just the way a properly-depressed paranoid android should look. I never liked the oh-so-cute Disney version of Marvin. In fact, I really liked the casting better in the TV series better altogether. They didn't have the tech, but they had the spirit of the series down part. I liked the radio show, too, as that came even before the books.
The TV show used some of the same cast as the radio drama. I recently saw the movie and I wasn't too thrilled with some of the changes made for the movie. It glossed over too much and changed things not always for the better.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:08 PM   #164
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The new one did look a bit too clean cut as far is tech. I agree. Though they did have an interesting casting. Warwick Davis wore the suit and Alan Rickman did the voice. Of course that brought Harry Potter to mind as both were in the movies. I wonder what Mr. Adams would think of how it turned out. I also wonder how often the studios consider making a movie from a book vs. how often it happens.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #165
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I would really like to see what people feel are modern classics. That to me would be more interesting then the old classics that we already know of.
Would "Watership Down" count? It's often called a classic and it's not that old.