Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: November 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
This Perfect Day by Ira Levin 6 8.45%
Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi 6 8.45%
Heaven by Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart 3 4.23%
Hyperion by Dan Simmons 11 15.49%
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley 6 8.45%
Dune by Frank Herbert 6 8.45%
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick 9 12.68%
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card 8 11.27%
A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller 12 16.90%
Halting State by Charles Stross 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2011, 05:17 AM   #151
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I enjoyed the hidden vote system. Though I had forgotten the book I voted for so I was really blind till it was made public. But as others have already said campaigning part was fun too. In spite of no discussion rule in this poll, we ended up discussing many books. So I see no reason why we shouldn’t be discussing the books during further polls.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #152
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I do not miss the campaigning per se, but, as others have stated (myself included) discussion of the various choices is fun.
To clarify, I prefer the "Here is why I think we will enjoy this book" posts over the "Hey vote for this not for that" posts.
What, you don't like American political campaigns? Don't read this book because it'll destroy big business and your suburban lifestyle?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #153
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
I enjoyed the hidden vote system. Though I had forgotten the book I voted for so I was really blind till it was made public. But as others have already said campaigning part was fun too. In spite of no discussion rule in this poll, we ended up discussing many books. So I see no reason why we shouldn’t be discussing the books during further polls.
Your vote was still italicized as usual. It was just a little more difficult to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
What, you don't like American political campaigns? Don't read this book because it'll destroy big business and your suburban lifestyle?
Can't stand them, from either side. They usually only manage to make me upset.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #154
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Hidden votes and open discussion would work very well for me. I ususually vote early anyway, so my vote isn't influenced by the discussions, but those discussions have made several books that I didn't vote for end up on my TBR list.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #155
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Hidden votes and open discussion would work very well for me. I ususually vote early anyway, so my vote isn't influenced by the discussions, but those discussions have made several books that I didn't vote for end up on my TBR list.

I've often voted early but claimed otherwise for Jon's edification.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #156
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I vote early. It's usually obvious which book I want to read the most and that's what I vote for.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #157
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I vote for the book I want. But others have said otherwise depending when they make it to the vote. So in those cases, their votes aren't actually what we want. We want votes based on what people want to read, not what the vote counts are.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #158
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I vote for the book I want. But others have said otherwise depending when they make it to the vote. So in those cases, their votes aren't actually what we want. We want votes based on what people want to read, not what the vote counts are.
Is that the royal "we"?

I personally never cared whether people voted with the influence of vote counts, discussion or tarot card readings.

With the invisible vote, I voted for Brave New World. With a visible vote I probably would have voted for Hyperion and would have been quite satisfied if it had won. I was wavering between at least 3 books on the list anyway. I certainly wouldn't have felt like I had become unprincipled or compromised, nor would I have felt like I'd contributed to the death of a fair or democratic society.

I don't really care if we have a hidden or visible vote. I do find the hidden vote less interesting because there's nearly no reason to visit the thread after I've voted until it's over, but either way I'll cast my vote if there are any books on the list I'm interested in reading.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #159
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
New member?

Hi!

I'm in the Literary book club {the very first online book club I've ever been in} and it is a very enjoyable experience. I notice that this club is more general in its selections and seems like it would be equably enjoyable.

I gather that A Canticle For Leibowitz is the selection for November and I love that book, which I first read when it was published as a short story.

So. does one simply begin discussing the selected book to become a member?
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #160
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
Hi!

I'm in the Literary book club {the very first online book club I've ever been in} and it is a very enjoyable experience. I notice that this club is more general in its selections and seems like it would be equably enjoyable.

I gather that A Canticle For Leibowitz is the selection for November and I love that book, which I first read when it was published as a short story.

Welcome to the Mobileread Book Club! You're a member by expressing your desire to be a member.

The A Canticle For Leibowitz discussion thread will start on November 20th, however you're free to make any spoiler-free comments between now and then.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #161
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Hi!

A discussion thread will be started in a bit.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #162
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Interesting... if you wanted people to always vote for what they wanted, why is it you were constantly telling them what books they should vote for?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #163
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Interesting... if you wanted people to always vote for what they wanted, why is it you were constantly telling them what books they should vote for?

BOb
Because after so many votes, free choice was basically gone. So it made little difference at that point.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #164
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Welcome to the Mobileread Book Club! You're a member by expressing your desire to be a member.

The A Canticle For Leibowitz discussion thread will start on November 20th, however you're free to make any spoiler-free comments between now and then.
And don't forget the Book Club dues. I'll let you know via PM where you can send the money: Cash only (small unmarked bills); no checks or credit cards.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #165
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And don't forget the Book Club dues. I'll let you know via PM where you can send the money: Cash only (small unmarked bills); no checks or credit cards.
I'll tell you what...I'll charge you the the same Book Club dues for my ePub edition of The Island of Dr. Moreau. So in this case, we'll just call it even.