Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #151
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamistress View Post
I hadn't though of getting grocery stuff, but since I have student prime, I may have to try it. Which makes me wonder if student prime still gets the lending library? Or is it only for regular prime members?
Are you paying for Student Prime or is it free? My daughter has free Amazon Student right now (six months of free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime), and she's unable to get the free Prime videos with that, so I assume that she cannot get the books either.

My understanding is that if she continues with a paid membership (at a cost of $39 a year for up to four years, with automatic renewal), she is eligible for access to Prime instant videos. Is that correct? If so, I assume that would qualify her for books through the Owner's Lending Library too. If you find out how this works, please let us know.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #152
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
My understanding is that if she continues with a paid membership (at a cost of $39 a year for up to four years, with automatic renewal), she is eligible for access to Prime instant videos. Is that correct? If so, I assume that would qualify her for books through the Owner's Lending Library too. If you find out how this works, please let us know.
Your understanding is correct. I had a free student prime up to last night (and I was nearing the end of my free year). With the free version, I got neither the instant videos nor the lending library. Since the renewal date was near anyway, I went ahead and upgraded to the paid student prime version ($39) last night. I immediately got access to both the instant videos and the lending library. With the discount membership I think the only restriction is that you cannot add family members to your prime account (though any existing ones may have been grandfathered in if you converted from a full price prime membership to the free student).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #153
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Your understanding is correct. I had a free student prime up to last night (and I was nearing the end of my free year). With the free version, I got neither the instant videos nor the lending library. Since the renewal date was near anyway, I went ahead and upgraded to the paid student prime version ($39) last night. I immediately got access to both the instant videos and the lending library. With the discount membership I think the only restriction is that you cannot add family members to your prime account (though any existing ones may have been grandfathered in if you converted from a full price prime membership to the free student).
That's kind of what I figured. I have the free student prime (no videos), but I will upgrade anyway, though I may wait til I'm a little closer to when I need to pay.

So far, even the "free" videos with Prime hasn't quite tempted me, because the selections isn't as good as I would like. I'm not sure comparing it to Netflix is really a good comparison, as I could almost always find what I wanted on Netflix (when I had it, a couple of years ago) but I can't always find things I'd like to watch on Amazon. (Unless I'm just missing something, the selection on Amazon is much more limited).
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #154
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Thanks for confirming that!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #155
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Side note regarding amazon. I get a lot of subscribe & save items. Basic stuff that I always needbut don't want to think about having to go buy. Things like deodorant, toilet paper, body wash, coffee (k-cups), toothpaste, cereal for the kids, clorox wipes....etc. it's nice to just automatically have it sent @ a scheduled time & not worry about running out.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #156
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I agree--that's very bad design! It looks to me like a free book.

The selling price needs to be listed first, and if they want to show that a Prime Member can get it for free, they need to use a design element below the selling price.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #157
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Notice how the $0.00 is much larger than the other prices?
Not that much larger. Based on your first post I expected it to be supersized and just a fine pront notation. I see nothiing wrong with this ad page.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #158
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by scveteran View Post
Not that much larger. Based on your first post I expected it to be supersized and just a fine pront notation. I see nothiing wrong with this ad page.
But the problem is the Free books look just like that too. Same place, same size and same font. It's confusing and misleading as the book isn't really free. You can just borrow it, you don't get to actually own it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #159
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool vive la différence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
But the problem is the Free books look just like that too. Same place, same size and same font. It's confusing and misleading as the book isn't really free. You can just borrow it, you don't get to actually own it.
i just don't perceive that as a problem, after all the 'buy' button has the actual purchase price right on it, you don't like the price shown don't press the confounded button! but what i do not care for is the omission of a way to borrow the book from the web site. normally i never turn on my wireless, don't need to, don't want to. except for borrowing a book, then i need to but still don't want to. oh well, concerning people, 'vive la différence!'
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #160
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Is now hating the "One per Month" limitation! I really didn't think it would an issue at first, as I have a 1001 books on my TBR list, but I've just found 2 books available through the APLL that I'd like to read and have already read my one allotted book for November. *pout*
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #161
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I switch reading between my Kindle and my iPad. I love the whispersync feature, but I'm not happy that I can't read the loaned books on my iPad.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #162
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I switch reading between my Kindle and my iPad. I love the whispersync feature, but I'm not happy that I can't read the loaned books on my iPad.
Not even with the free Kindle app?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #163
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
You can only read Kindle lending (Prime) books on a Kindle or Kindle Fire.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #164
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
You can only read Kindle lending (Prime) books on a Kindle or Kindle Fire.
I forgot about that. Hopefully they'll expand it going forward.