Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I found The Silmarillion quite palatable if one approaches the work as a Creation Myth.

Don
I found it boring as can be and I did read it from cover to cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another books I'll list as boring and dreadful is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

It was just a silly romance with some awful time-travel tossed in. And I didn't like the main character. She was just depressing. And her lover was just two-dimensional. Overall a really bad read.
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #138
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
I'm going with a non fiction book I tried to read...There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale - A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Lord of the Rings by Sean Astin.

I thought it would be an interesting insight into the making of the films. It really wasn't and came across as one long whine.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:17 AM   #139
Yirabeth
Yirabeth began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
Hard to pick ONE most boring book I've read...I guess the Bible is up there though. Assorted other books where I thought, will this ever end??! Silmarrilion, definitely...although I liked The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The Dune books. Any book by Isaac Asimov..I read two or three, and vowed never to pick up another of his books..I don't remember the titles I actually read though. But they read like technical manuals..I want to be entertained! If I want a technical manual I'll get one of those not a "fiction" book...

I plan on working my way through the "1000 books" list I found here, though, so I'm sure this will change

I LOOOOVE Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...I've read the book about 10 times over the years, and my ex-boyfriend from England had the BBC radio show on disc that I loved listening to. We've broken up though so I'm not likely to get my own copy But dang I wish I could get that...hehe

~Yira
Yirabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:27 AM   #140
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another books I'll list as boring and dreadful is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

It was just a silly romance with some awful time-travel tossed in. And I didn't like the main character. She was just depressing. And her lover was just two-dimensional. Overall a really bad read.
I like romance. I like historical fiction. I like sagas. And yet I just can't get into the Outlander books, either.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 05:33 AM   #141
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
C. J. Cheryh - Cyteen
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
I like romance. I like historical fiction. I like sagas. And yet I just can't get into the Outlander books, either.
I found that the Outlander also went on too long as well.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #143
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
I did read Outlander many years ago (early 90's). For the life of me now, I don't remember much of anything about it except time travel and boring. I think I even made myself read the 2nd book in the series. I have since completely ignored them. If someone literally paid me to read them, I might consider it but since that is highly unlikely I will continue to blissfully ignore them.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #144
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You didn't like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? That's treason. Seize him. Toss him out an airlock after reading him Vogon poetry.
You'll have to seize me too...I read it. When I could stay awake.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #145
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
C. J. Cheryh - Cyteen
Wow - one of my all-time favourites!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #146
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers were awful, in my mind.

I love the story (read them long before the movies), but the constant diversions into pointless descriptions of what they were having for dinner, and the endless rhymes and songs made FOTR unreadable. The Two Towers was better, but not by much.

However, Return of the King was great, and the Hobbit was entertaining as well.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #147
kaan
Connoisseur
kaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I could not finish Gerald's Game by Stephen King... Ugh
I'll have to second that!
Even when I began skipping entire chapters, the story still seemed to stand still.

If non-fiction applies then this redbook from IBM takes the lead in boredom:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...7489.html?Open

Unfortunately I'm having the exam at the end of this month
kaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #148
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Provided you can keep track of who's who amongst the literally hundreds of characters, many of whom have very similar names. My printed edition of it comes with a handy bookmark which has all the "family trees" printed on it!
I wish I had that! After a while, I stopped reading and wrote down the characters names and their roles in the story, just to be able to keep reading the book. I loved it though.

Very few books bored me enough to make me quit reading: Proust's À l'Ombre des Jeunes Filles en Fleurs lost me after...something like fifteen pages, and Stendhal's The Red and the Black has put me to sleep a few days in a row before I gave up. Although I was pretty young when I tried them both, maybe I could give it another go now...
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #149
Requiem
Enthusiast
Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Transformer
This thread actually caused me to join the forums though I have frequented them many times before. To commit a little blasphemy here, I think anything by Shakespeare is dreadfully dull. (I know these aren't books per se) The stories themselves when broken down can fit in about 3 pages of typical succinct writing, and they all tend to end the same.

I also despise anything by Stephen King, I have forced myself to read most of his works, including his writings as Richard Bachman and his even earlier writings i.e. the first Gunslinger. (ended up reading them all, despite the strange feeling I got, quite similar to the feeling I got when I watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) His typical style is just such a turnoff for me that I can't even pay attention to his stories. I loved Michael Crichton when I was younger, but can't stand his self indulgence now.

For contrast my favorite authors are Steinbeck (Grapes of Wrath is my favorite book), Ken Follet but only the Cathedral books (Pillars of the Earth and World Without End), I happen to like Ernest Hemmingway, and have yet to figure out why. I also liked the Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. (Though I didn't have as much love for his second book, A Thousand Splendid Suns).

There are many more books that I like in comparison to disike, but those specific authors and their works put a bile taste in my throat, possibly because shakespeare has been shoved there so much.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #150
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
The Lonesome Dove was IMO the most boring I ever read even though it had national acclaim.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote