Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-18-2021, 01:55 PM   #136
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
It looks like a refurbished Samsung phone from 2010 to me. Definitely not appealing. Way too narrow. For me the Kobo Libra is almost the perfect size, if only the could eliminate more of the top and bottom bezel (and maybe a slight amount of the sides.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:24 AM   #137
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A9, Mira, Paperlike Colour
I read most if the reader is with me all the time, so it has to be in my jeans pocket. Regular readers just aren’t robust enough for this. I’ve broken a Poke, Oasis 1, and Voyage. But an Inkpalm/A5 is fine as they’re both smaller and in much more robust cases.

Also, I read 2/3 books a week and want a device that’s optimized for high volume reading. A 5/6” reader allows an optimum line character count of around 55 at an ideal focal length. 6”+ readers aren’t optimized for ideal line length unless the type is very large. Which is only a benefit for people with poor eyesight.

The Inkpalm is also very comfortable to hold for very long periods, regular relatively heavy readers aren’t.

Last edited by rowe; 06-19-2021 at 01:28 AM.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2021, 02:47 PM   #138
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
Approx. €150 at uncle Ali
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...d81e4ce18378-0
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #139
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
I read most if the reader is with me all the time, so it has to be in my jeans pocket. Regular readers just aren’t robust enough for this. I’ve broken a Poke, Oasis 1, and Voyage. But an Inkpalm/A5 is fine as they’re both smaller and in much more robust cases.

Also, I read 2/3 books a week and want a device that’s optimized for high volume reading. A 5/6” reader allows an optimum line character count of around 55 at an ideal focal length. 6”+ readers aren’t optimized for ideal line length unless the type is very large. Which is only a benefit for people with poor eyesight.

The Inkpalm is also very comfortable to hold for very long periods, regular relatively heavy readers aren’t.
I already have an A5 Pro, which is a more useful device for me, as I also use it as my main phone. But I have to agree about the form factor! The one change I'd love to see is 300PPI in these small devices.

I don't really get why people like the form factor of 6" Kindles, Kobos, etc. They are not comfortable to hold with one hand, IMO. My Nova 3 has the advantage of a bigger screen, but is a tad too heavy for extended reading, and I sometimes find myself reaching for the A5, even though the screen is smaller (it also has the HUGE advantage of physical buttons - using the volume keys for page turns).

Therefore, I hope that these kinds of devices turn popular, so that we can get them on the European market - especially phones with Google Play.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #140
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A9, Mira, Paperlike Colour
I think the main screen clarity issue on my A5 (and I assume the A5 Pro) are the layers above the e-ink. More so than the PPI.

The Inkpalm has a similar PPI, but the screen is really sharp before the matte screen protector is applied. I tried 3 different types of matte screen protector on the InkPalm, the one that reduced sharpness the most made it very like an A5.

The best matte screen protector for sharpness was the one Xiaomi supply.

I also have a Nova, and despite the big screen and much higher cost I only read manga on it now.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2021, 07:44 AM   #141
-stepan-
Enthusiast
-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Nia
Sorry for my bad english - it's Google Translate.
Thoughts from a Kobo Mini fan from Ukraine/Russia. For me, the Kobo Mini is the perfect e-reader at all. And, if Kobo suddenly decides to release a Mini 2.0 with a frontlight, a protective matte glass, and slightly smaller frames, then this will be my dream.

InkPalm 5 scares a few moments - how much does it really hold a charge when reading without frontlight and wi-fi for at least 3-4 hours a day? (my Mini is in the mode of 3.5-5 hours a day with a non-original battery - about 20 days), the dimensions are very long if you hold it with a standard grip? On a 16:9 smartphone with narrow frames, it is more comfortable for me to read in the horizontal position of the screen in Moon Reader. Here 18:9 - probably not very much. And how is the sleep mode implemented in InkPalm 5, if there is one? Is it possible to put the cover of the book on the screen saver, is there a reaction of sleep/waking up from a magnet (I wake my Mini with a magnet - I hold it from behind through the case, and I put it to sleep through NickelMenu, so I almost don't use the switch lever. As with Bluetooth headphones, if audiobooks, TTF in MoonReader-the battery is low very fast?

On my old LG smartphone, the charge is enough when reading (Wi-Fi, GSM, GPS are disabled) for 6-8 hours, probably with different backlight (TFT display, model - x-135), but closer to the minimum. If there are no more than 3-5 days here, without a GSM module and modify Android, is there any sense in it at all?
-stepan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #142
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by -stepan- View Post
For me, the Kobo Mini is the perfect e-reader at all. And, if Kobo suddenly decides to release a Mini 2.0 with a frontlight, a protective matte glass, and slightly smaller frames, then this will be my dream.
I think the Sony PRS-350 is better than the Mini. Maybe the same screen. I have one and it is very pocket sized. Some of my jackets can't take a Paperwhite 3, Kobo H2O original and fewer the lovely Kobo Libra. It's my favourite for proofreading.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:22 AM   #143
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
I think the main screen clarity issue on my A5 (and I assume the A5 Pro) are the layers above the e-ink. More so than the PPI.

The Inkpalm has a similar PPI, but the screen is really sharp before the matte screen protector is applied. I tried 3 different types of matte screen protector on the InkPalm, the one that reduced sharpness the most made it very like an A5.

The best matte screen protector for sharpness was the one Xiaomi supply.

I also have a Nova, and despite the big screen and much higher cost I only read manga on it now.
I actually don't have an issue with the clarity (or contrast?) on my A5 Pro (I think the screen should be the same as A5, but don't know if it has other layers, e.g. a different screen protector); I think the text is clearer than on my Nova 3. On the Nova the text is smoother, though, which I assume is due to the higher PPI. I would love to combine the contrast/clarity of the A5 Pro with the smooth text of the Nova 3.

The A7 does that (and has an even better audio chip to boot), but is much bigger.

All in all, it's not a big issue and I don't notice it when I lose myself in the reading, but sometimes it slightly annoys me. The curse of being picky

BTW, do you have an image of what reading looks like on the InkPalm (like an open page in Moonreader)? EDIT: Nevermind, must have missed the picture on the previous page!
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #144
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
Will this Inkpalm 5 read/display English books as it comes out the box?

I think I can manage Chinese menu interface but wonder if can add/sideload and read my own books in English.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 06-28-2021 at 07:50 AM.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:54 AM   #145
treo
Read ebook - save a tree
treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Touch, InkPalm, PB Touch HD 3, Oasis, Aura One, Paperlike
Smile Unlauncher

Now with https://jkuester.github.io/unlauncher/ finally looks like "mini reader"

Tnx to u/Cavolatan at https://www.reddit.com/r/ereader/com...92ago/inkpalm/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1217.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	187930  
treo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:56 PM   #146
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
Just got mine yesterday. And yes, it took me a while to get USB debugging on; so I could switch to English. Without those instructions on github, though, it would have been impossible (even though the instructions were not exactly correct for me). I've used MoonReader for years; so UnLauncher, MoonReader; side loaded a bunch of books, and I'm looking forward to this as a Kobo Mini replacement (which is what I would take as a small ereader going out and about).

I don't have a case for it; nor a screen protector--here's hoping I don't drop it or scratch up the screen.

Since I just got it; unknown yet really how much I'll like it over the Mini (I also have a PRS 350; but for small ereader I switched to the Mini a while ago). I'm hoping this will be a new sweet spot mini ereader, though.

I do believe that getting it setup for English was not an easy walk in the park. It was possible--but only because others had done it before me and provided wonderful instructions; otherwise I would have never been able to configure it.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:21 PM   #147
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I picked up one as well. $100 for this would be a steal. At $200, the price with a case/screen protectors + import overhead, it's a bit rich, but it is a fun little device.

Installed unlauncher with KOReader. Great combination, works very well. Backlight uniformity isn't bad enough to be annoying -- it's a little stronger at the bottom right but not horrible.

Anyone else have any other recommended apps? I mostly keep it off the WiFi, don't see a need.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #148
crom32
crom32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crom32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crom32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crom32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crom32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crom32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crom32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crom32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crom32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crom32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crom32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: InkPalm5
Is it possible to authorise this device with Adobe ID? So you can read Adobe DRM protected Epub files.
crom32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:19 AM   #149
philips
philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 505
I fixed my slippery device issue by tracing the device on some heavy paper, cutting out the outline, and then double sided taping it to the device. It has held up well, increases grip, and reduces the speed it slips out of my pocket.
philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:05 AM   #150
0x6c616d70
HP: 9%
0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
This looks like a good size for a smart mp3 player. I could even use it for an audio journal. However, for reading... it's bigger than the java phone that I've been using last year, but this phone is still on the small side, and I've been spoiled by a kindle all the while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crom32 View Post
Is it possible to authorise this device with Adobe ID? So you can read Adobe DRM protected Epub files.
This is android, so if there's an app for that...
0x6c616d70 is offline   Reply With Quote