Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #136
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
True or false: Amazon's DRMed Mobi/AZW is the only DRM-format the Kindle can handle?
True or false, the nook can't read the DRM format used by Amazon, the largest and most popular ebook store in the world?

True or false? ADE is the only DRM format the Kobo can read?

The only meaningful answer to ALL these questions is "So what?"

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #137
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Funny? I was simply answering your question.

It can't read any other DRM format, as I'm sure you know. Just as, say, the Sony Reader, or the Kobo can't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #138
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, how very funny.
Funny as holding Jetbook up as a viable reader choice for the mainstream, non-tech-savvy, ereader shopper?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #139
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Not everyone reads or cares about the NYT list. I believe there are polls here that indicate among ereader users, it may be less than among dtb readers.

Nora Roberts and Steven King are not the be all and end all of the book buying universe. And even for those for whom they are, there are so many other future possibilities and IFs and conditions that have to align for them to ever perceive even an inconvenience, I cannot fathom why you constantly push out the emphatic, one sided warnings.

Most people will read those authors on whatever ereader they choose, and will never have a hint of any problem.

But no matter how many times we point out all the misstatements and qualifications and errors in your claims, and no matter how many times we state plainly the realities and show how to state them truthfully and accurately, you keep making the broad misstatements the exact same way in every thread where it comes up.

p.s. Why aren't you talking up the Kobo as the only decent choice? Their bookstore is ONE place that seems to warrant comparison shopping, and buying from them would eliminate the, by your estimation, 60% library lockout that you'd 'suffer' if you had the 'misfortune' to get 'locked in' to a nook.....

All those words are in quotes because my point is, again, it's really not a problem in practice for the vast majority of users of any devices, and the POSSIBILITY of a problem is there for all of them.

Well more people are reading NYTimes books then obscure tech books that's for sure.

And no I don't think Nora Roberts and Stephen King are the end all of book readers but they are certainly two the most popular authors out there.

I have made no misstatements. i have repeatedly said technically Kindle is not locked in due them supporting DRM Free Mobi books. The point I have always have made was the selections between the two are quite different. Mobi DRM Free does not have alot of the top publishers and top authors as opposed to ePub bookstores. So even if you don't think Stephen King is the end all be all. I'm quite certain more people who own a kindle are more interested in Stephen King then that O'reily tech book writer you mentioned.

I think the Kobo is a nice choice but the whole argument here was what the advantages of ePub and they simply are the freedom to shop around and the ability to take those books with you if you decide on a different device.
As far as the devices are concerned the nook offers more advantages that warrent my choice for choosing the nook. But the difference is I have a choice if I want to buy a Dan Brown novel. I could take advantage of the wireless downloading or a BN gift card or I could think if this is a book I want to keep with me for mulltiple future readings then I will go to either Google or Kobo. and all without jumping through stripping and converting hoops.

Pure and simple.

So yes Technically the kindle is open because of the use of DRM Free Mobi and yes technically someone who receives an Honorary Degree from Harvard has a Harvard Dipolma.

Just face ApK the selection on mobi stinks in terms of mainstream authors as compared to ePub.

Last edited by boswd; 06-30-2011 at 02:56 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #140
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
True or false, the nook can't read the DRM format used by Amazon, the largest and most popular ebook store in the world?
Swallowed an Amazon advertisement-flyer?

Quote:
True or false? ADE is the only DRM format the Kobo can read?
The only meaningful answer to ALL these questions is "So what?"
ApK
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It can't read any other DRM format, as I'm sure you know. Just as, say, the Sony Reader, or the Kobo can't.
You don't want to see the difference, do you?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #141
ApK

Quote:
Swallowed an Amazon advertisement-flyer?
Nope, noticed reality.

Quote:
You don't want to see the difference, do you?
You don't want to answer the questions, just ask them?

I see it as it is, differences (some) and similarities (some), and net effect (virtually none). Some only want to acknowledge a small part of it.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #142
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

bos, owning, as I do, both a Kindle and a Sony, my experience has been that one can buy the same big-name authors for both. Is it your assertion that Kindle owners can buy fewer books by big-name authors than owners of ePub readers can?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #143
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I honestly do think this is of little relevance to the general book-buying readership. When it boils down to it, when you consider the field of commercially-published eBooks, pretty much all are available at every major bookstore - Amazon, B&N, Kobo, or whatever.
which actually brings us full circle in this argument. What's the big deal about ePub if Amazon has it anyway?

So again

1. If someone is running a special or coupons etc you can take advantage
2. They can come with you if you decide to buy a different ereader,and if you aren't buying a kindle.

again I'm speaking of the above with the thought of no stripping or converting

that's why ePub is a nice format to have supported on your device. overall selection plays a small part.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #144
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I have made no misstatements. i have repeatedly said technically Kindle is not locked in due them supporting DRM Free Mobi books.
Thinking that that is the issue at hand is one mistake. That's not related in any way to the "lock in" under discussion.

Quote:
Just face ApK the selection on mobi stinks in terms of mainstream authors as compared to ePub.
Another misstatement. By all accounts, Amazon's selection of those types of books is equal to, or possibly better than, the other 4 places combined.

Point out one of your best-sellers that's not at Amazon but is at one of the other major DRM mainstream bookstores.

Last edited by ApK; 06-30-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #145
boswd
Banned

Quote:
bos, owning, as I do, both a Kindle and a Sony, my experience has been that one can buy the same big-name authors for both. Is it your assertion that Kindle owners can buy fewer books by big-name authors than owners of ePub readers can?
Oh no no, Amazon is wonderful in their selection.

I was comparing the Mobi Free DRM books available compared to ePub bookstores.

The DRM Free Mobi is what technically makes the Kindle an open device. And the nook, sony, kobo etc ePub is what makes them an open device.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #146
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Thinking that that is the issue at hand is one mistake. That's not related in any way to the "lock in" under discussion.

Another misstatement. By all accounts, Amazon's selection of those types of books is equal to, or possibly better than, the other 4 places combined.

Point out one of your best-sellers that's not at Amazon but is at one of the other major DRM mainstream bookstores.
No, no you don't . We aren't discussing "AZW" vs Epub. You keep chiming in and going on and on about how it's a false statement that you are Locked In by choosing the Kindle. And the only format that is an open format supported by the kindle is it's DRM Free Mobi.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #147
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
which actually brings us full circle in this argument. What's the big deal about ePub if Amazon has it anyway?

So again

1. If someone is running a special or coupons etc you can take advantage
2. They can come with you if you decide to buy a different ereader,and if you aren't buying a kindle.

again I'm speaking of the above with the thought of no stripping or converting
Your point 2 is where I have to disagree with you. You have a nook. That means that, if you wanted to buy, say, a Sony, you'd be able to read on your Sony only those books which you hadn't bought from B&N. So you need to keep track of where every book came from. Isn't that actually a more complex situation than Kindle owners face?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #148
ApK

Quote:
No, no you don't . We aren't discussing "AZW" vs Epub. You keep chiming in and going on and on about how it's a false statement that you are Locked In by choosing the Kindle. And the only format that is an open format supported by the kindle is it's DRM Free Mobi.
No, my point, again, since you keep ignoring it, is that the possible lock in (not being able to take your books to another device or to get the books you want) is a a POTENTIAL issue on the nook, and other devices, as well as the Kindle, and is an ACTUAL issue for virtually no one.

It has nothing to do with open formats, mobi or otherwise.

And by the way, you made another misstatement: The Kindle supports several open formats. Text, and HTML for example, which accounts for WHOLE lot of available content.

It's not terribly relevant, but it would be nice to have the details stated correctly.

Last edited by ApK; 06-30-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #149
ApK

Quote:
Your point 2 is where I have to disagree with you. You have a nook. That means that, if you wanted to buy, say, a Sony, you'd be able to read on your Sony only those books which you hadn't bought from B&N. So you need to keep track of where every book came from. Isn't that actually a more complex situation than Kindle owners face?
Kobo too. And if he wanted to buy, say, a Kindle, he couldn't bring over any of those epubs. Poor, poor locked in nook owner.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #150
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight

This is fun!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote