Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2024, 05:18 PM   #16
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I been using the app hardcover. it's more easier for me to understand.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 06:38 PM   #17
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Honestly I think Hardcover has the better product. Unfortunately SG has all the hype.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 06:49 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because Storygraph is better then Hardcover. SG is much more user friendly.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-14-2024 at 04:40 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:59 AM   #19
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
I have been using Hardcover.app for a few days now, and it's a bit janky, to be honest. It's more complicated to update your progress if you want to track via percentage (because who has the exact same version with the correct page count?) and it's unable to properly switch to a different edition of a book.

E.g. I'm reading The Way of Kings rights now, but the German translation. Hardcover has the German edition but as a subset of the original book. This is wrong because the book is split in two over here (Der Weg der Könige & Der Pfad der Winde) but Hardcover.app doesn't track them properly as two books.

Hardcover.app looks nice and has some nice stats but fails on the basics IMHO.
rantanplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 03:28 AM   #20
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone know if they actually do their own art or if it's all plagiarized via "AI"?
Old 05-14-2024, 04:24 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I have been using Hardcover.app for a few days now, and it's a bit janky, to be honest. It's more complicated to update your progress if you want to track via percentage (because who has the exact same version with the correct page count?) and it's unable to properly switch to a different edition of a book.

E.g. I'm reading The Way of Kings rights now, but the German translation. Hardcover has the German edition but as a subset of the original book. This is wrong because the book is split in two over here (Der Weg der Könige & Der Pfad der Winde) but Hardcover.app doesn't track them properly as two books.

Hardcover.app looks nice and has some nice stats but fails on the basics IMHO.
With Hardcover, can you add entries or is that staff only? With Storygraph, you can add in your split editions of The Way of the Kings without a problem. And if you needed staff help with it, you could put in what you could and then put in a request for help.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:27 AM   #22
rantanplan
Weirdo

I cannot easily add books, I need to have librarian status for that. I have thought about doing that, but then again, I'm not invested that much in their app. With Storygraph I can already edit books and correct almost everything that is wrong with them, they are truly community driven.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:39 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I just did some searching on Hardcover. It was a disaster.

I put in the ISBN for the 4th book in a series and it came up with the 1st book as the result. I looked as the editions and I did not see the ISBN. I searched for the 4th book by title and there is only 1 edition. The books in the database is seriously lacking. You also cannot see enough of the the book's information without going to editions.

I don't like the UI all that much. There is a button to be able to buy the book from 4 different sellers. The site doesn't even check if that edition is available. You get the link regardless. The site is (IMHO) a mess.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:39 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I cannot easily add books, I need to have librarian status for that. I have thought about doing that, but then again, I'm not invested that much in their app. With Storygraph I can already edit books and correct almost everything that is wrong with them, they are truly community driven.
Very well said!
Old 05-14-2024, 05:30 AM   #25
rantanplan
Weirdo

IMHO Hardcover.app tried very hard to be Letterboxd for books. Without being smart about community features that make sense for readers, like read-a-longs, book clubs etc.

Letterboxd has similar shortcomings too, but there it's not as obvious as on Hardcover.app.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:44 AM   #26
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
I’ve never used Letterbox. I’ll have been a Trakt user for 10 years in October.. Personally I like Hardcover better. It imported all of my GR books unlike SG. I’m not manually adding all those books to SG. I don’t understand how Hardcovers database is better than SG.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:59 AM   #27
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
I’ve never used Letterbox. I’ll have been a Trakt user for 10 years in October.. Personally I like Hardcover better. It imported all of my GR books unlike SG. I’m not manually adding all those books to SG. I don’t understand how Hardcovers database is better than SG.
But you can import from GoodReads... Its under your Profile. Or are you saying that you have masses of books in GoodReads that SG doesn't recognize?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodreads Import.png
Views:	18
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	208272  
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:20 AM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I wanted to like StoryGraph; I really did. I love how "clean" it is and I strongly dislike how Goodreads is overwhelmed by promotions and irrelevant promotions at that. (No, Goodreads, just because I'm a woman, I don't want to read cowboy romances "based on my reading". I've entered three thousand books; you could do better than that. That is, if you weren't only motivated by the bottom line and instead wanted to provide value to members and paid promotions.) And also, while I'm not greatly bothered by how Amazon runs its business, I'd just as soon not make them a gift of even more data on me than they've already got.

But. The reality is that Goodreads' database is much better than Storygraph's and the user interface is faster and more intuitive. And given that I've already got a useful friends' network there.... I ported my books to StoryGraph and I tried; for a while I maintained both accounts but that wasn't worth the nuisance. Goodreads for all its drawbacks is still better for my purposes.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 09:37 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
Hardcover's database is worse then Storygraph's. See my previous message on Hardcover to see what happened,
Old 05-14-2024, 10:36 AM   #30
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I wanted to like StoryGraph; I really did. I love how "clean" it is and I strongly dislike how Goodreads is overwhelmed by promotions and irrelevant promotions at that. (No, Goodreads, just because I'm a woman, I don't want to read cowboy romances "based on my reading". I've entered three thousand books; you could do better than that. That is, if you weren't only motivated by the bottom line and instead wanted to provide value to members and paid promotions.) And also, while I'm not greatly bothered by how Amazon runs its business, I'd just as soon not make them a gift of even more data on me than they've already got.

But. The reality is that Goodreads' database is much better than Storygraph's and the user interface is faster and more intuitive. And given that I've already got a useful friends' network there.... I ported my books to StoryGraph and I tried; for a while I maintained both accounts but that wasn't worth the nuisance. Goodreads for all its drawbacks is still better for my purposes.
I get that. I never used GR for recommendations or friends, so I never felt the lack of it on SG. I do miss seeing your activity roll through my feed though.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote