Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2024, 09:10 AM   #91
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Well this is awkward, it opened right away for me. This is via the default reader.

https://imgur.com/a/jWnniN4

EDIT
My hand was unsteady, the screen is not unsharp like the screenshot suggests
rantanplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 12:24 PM   #92
user105
user105 began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2, pw2, sony prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Well this is awkward, it opened right away for me. This is via the default reader.

EDIT
Hello thank you for sharing; sorry but please would you kindly confirm that you are using a tolino shine 5 on fw 5.0.175773 ?

I did the factory reset again, this time twice , first from menu and 2nd from dev menu.

Now Jon’s test file opens in 6 seconds; is that comparable to your experience?

Sorry to abusing this thread so much , I really wonder if I got a broken device

Edit :

For what is worth, maybe the update from 4 to 5 did not install all components correctly,
I got the update notification and clicked on update; this finished and nothing else happened.

Once out of curiosity I pressed the power button longer to shutdown and after reboot the update was triggered

Last edited by user105; 05-13-2024 at 12:30 PM.
user105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 01:53 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

EDIT
What is the default reader?

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-13-2024 at 06:55 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 02:47 PM   #94
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
For what it's worth, Calibre does correctly show smallcaps

Attachment 208256
Since calibre's ebook-viewer is based on Chrome not on RMSDK, not a huge surprise.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 02:50 PM   #95
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user105 View Post
I have a tolino fw 5 running if that works, but I have this big problem that I can only open files with rmsdk because with default engine it will take minutes to open the file , but I can change render if you would like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is the default reader RMSDK or something else?
Did you actually read @user105's message that you responded to? Enquiring minds are eager to know?
Old 05-13-2024, 04:17 PM   #96
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Firmware 5.0.175773

Quote:
Originally Posted by user105 View Post
Hello thank you for sharing; sorry but please would you kindly confirm that you are using a tolino shine 5 on fw 5.0.175773
I have the Tolino Shine Color.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:19 PM   #97
rantanplan
Weirdo

Quote:
Is the default reader RMSDK or something else?

I‘m unable to tell you which reader is the default one, as the dev-menu simply has the option default.
However, with respect to the posts above it’s not RMSDK.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:35 PM   #98
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
It's probably based on Qt WebEngine, so Chromium based.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 06:54 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Since calibre's ebook-viewer is based on Chrome not on RMSDK, not a huge surprise.
But if calibre's viewer was based on RMSDK, it would be based on the current version and still be able to display smallcaps.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:03 PM   #100
user105
user105 began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2, pw2, sony prs 505
I don’t really know why my Tolino is slow, but I can imagine that Rmsdk is closed source and you need to pay adobe many buckets of gold to get to use it, don’t think that fits well with open source lol

Btw; talking render engine, in dev mode, there are four options, default, ur, teng and Rmsdk

What are the other ones ?
user105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 07:34 PM   #101
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
But if calibre's viewer was based on RMSDK, it would be based on the current version and still be able to display smallcaps.
Why would Kovid Goyal want to pay Adobe to use RMSDK when he can develop his own rendering engine with no fees? And why would it be based on the current version of RMSDK? Another cost item to upgrade.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:55 AM   #102
rantanplan
Weirdo

Quote:
Why is RMSDK so important to you? Why not Readium, for example?
Old 05-14-2024, 04:20 AM   #103
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Why is RMSDK so important to you? Why not Readium, for example?
Because it's the software on Kobo and Tolino. Also, it renders overall better then Access on a Kobo. If it was updated, it could do ePub 3 better with the better rendering.

Out of the box with no patches and added config options that a lot of people don't know about, KePub does not look all that good. ePub does look better.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:03 PM   #104
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Because it's the software on Kobo and Tolino. Also, it renders overall better then Access on a Kobo. If it was updated, it could do ePub 3 better with the better rendering.
At this time, it appears that the default renderer on Tolino's v5 software is very similar to the WebKit based renderer on a Kobo. Just BTW, the renderer that Kobo originally used for ePub3 was ACCESS (all caps) which was replaced by the WebKit based renderer.

As for RMSDK doing better ePub3? Looking at the latest test results I can find, quite a few of the tests show that neither ADE nor RMSDK are doing all that well. I have to admit that Adobe pushing epubtest.org on their website is a bit of a laugh.

Quote:
Out of the box with no patches and added config options that a lot of people don't know about, KePub does not look all that good. ePub does look better.
Personally, I prefer RMSDK for it's font handling but very few of the people I know who use ereaders are likely to notice which renderer is being used.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:36 PM   #105
SilentPartner
Gone
SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
I'm a bit lost in those conversations, here.

I feel that some people speak with authority on subjects, but I'm not sure that they really know very well what they're talking about, like expressing opinions more than facts.

Anyways. Cary on.
SilentPartner is offline   Reply With Quote