Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-11-2024, 12:36 AM   #16
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I forgot my current book - Magician by Raymond Feist. It's sometimes broken into two halves, but was originally one book and can be found that way. It's around 1,000 pages.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 05:49 AM   #17
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Winston Churchill’s Second World War takes up six volumes. It must be about 50 years since I read it, but I think it was worthwhile.

On the fiction side, my wife and I both loved The Awakening Land trilogy.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 08:28 AM   #18
pierre71
pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: kobo libra 2
People mentioned Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon and Anathem (both of which i do recommend as well), but if you are really into long stories, I would target his "baroque cycle". Roughly 3000 pages. It is the prequel of Cryptonomicon, so you can add a thousandish on top of that if you feel like it.
pierre71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:04 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Lord of the Rings was supposed to be one volume and now they they are in eBook forum, there is an edition that's one volume.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:08 AM   #20
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry - Western, I think my paperback was 960-odd pages

Ash: A Secret History - Mary Gentle - Historical Fantasy with a twist. Great. Sometimes split into 3 in the US, but it's one book of over 1000 pages.

Kushiel's Dart - Jacqueline Carey - Another semi-historical fantasy, with sexual content not to everyone's taste. I seem to remember the first book was over 900 pages (although looking at isfdb the page counts are all over the place, hardcovers down in the 700s).

I believe most volumes of the Malazan Book of the Fallen are over 800 pages. A lot of people really love it, but I read the first one and kind of hated it.
I just purchased ASH. its on sale for $3.99 on kindle not sure if its the same book come to think of it but its 1200 pages so im good

Last edited by HLS; 05-11-2024 at 01:17 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 05:34 AM   #21
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Speaking of Ken Follet, I’d recommend ‘Pillars of the Earth’. It’s about 1000 print pages. There are 3 sequels and one prequel each about the same length.

Another great one about that length is Noah Gordon’s ‘The Physician’.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 07:15 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cider House Rules by John Irving (973)
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clark (1006)
Centennial by James A Michener (1056)
Old 05-13-2024, 06:45 AM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ALMOST every book by Michener!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 06:58 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
And A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving, 1155 pages.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:10 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This is the longest book ever.

In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust (4211)
Old 05-13-2024, 08:30 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This list is for books with over 1000 pages.

Infinite Jest by David Foster
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Imajica by Clive Barker
Reamde by Neal Stephenson
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
IQ84 by Haruki Murakami
Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer
London by Edward Rutherfurd
Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd
Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton
The Winds of War by Herman Wouk
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-13-2024 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:50 AM   #27
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry - Western, I think my paperback was 960-odd pages
<SNIP>
I also recommend this and I am not a fan of Westerns generally.

As for the other "any genre" recommendations:

Anthony Powell's Dance to the Music of Time, which is a 12 novel sequence about the cultural and military life of mid-20th century. I read all 12 of them over the course of a year and greatly enjoyed them.

Jeff and Ann Vandermeer's massive Big Book of Science Fiction is an excellent anthology of science fiction from 1845 to early 2010s.

I haven't seen anyone say J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings yet so I will toss that out there. ETA: Someone did add that while I was typing...

Any one of my favorite doorstoppers is Haruki Murakami's 1Q84.

Last edited by astrangerhere; 05-13-2024 at 08:52 AM.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:54 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I also recommend this and I am not a fan of Westerns generally.

As for the other "any genre" recommendations:

Anthony Powell's Dance to the Music of Time, which is a 12 novel sequence about the cultural and military life of mid-20th century. I read all 12 of them over the course of a year and greatly enjoyed them.

Jeff and Ann Vandermeer's massive Big Book of Science Fiction is an excellent anthology of science fiction from 1845 to early 2010s.

I haven't seen anyone say J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings yet so I will toss that out there. ETA: Someone did add that while I was typing...

Any one of my favorite doorstoppers is Haruki Murakami's 1Q84.
I did mention Lord of the Rings on the two days ago.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:07 AM   #29
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
I did mention Lord of the Rings on the two days ago.
And I went back and said so. Its early. Let's just all chill with our coffee and good book recommendations.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 05:22 PM   #30
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Speaking of big books I just noticed I have an ebook with 6,600 pages and one with 23,000 pages. Golden deer classics
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote