Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you ever subscribed to an author's newsletter to get a free eBook?
Yes, and I continued to receive the newsletter 17 28.81%
Yes, but I used a throwaway email or unsubscribed afterwards 5 8.47%
Yes, I have done both 1 and 2 depending on author 12 20.34%
No, I have not 24 40.68%
None of these options fit 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2023, 10:51 AM   #16
KellyRead
KellyRead is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.KellyRead is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.KellyRead is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.KellyRead is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.KellyRead is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.KellyRead is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.KellyRead is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.KellyRead is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.KellyRead is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.KellyRead is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.KellyRead is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara
I subscribe to one author only. I enjoy his newsletter and all of his books. I like to know when he is going to release a new book. He never spams.
KellyRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 09:57 AM   #17
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
Author newsletter, no. The Tor newsletter, yes.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:40 PM   #18
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
No but one Author Alma Katsu does her own newsletters. She has no staff so she actually reads your emails when you reply back. She sent me some book plates or whatever they are called and some neat stuff. I like how some authors actually read and respond to emails
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 10:51 AM   #19
lazyreadr
lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo Libra
I did that only once and came to regret very fast and blocked the sender-email then fast. Wouldn't do it again. If all that you are after is the free ebook, you can probably obtain that almost easier in a different way and if anyone needs to promote his newsletter with free ebooks they are likely using it as a pure marketing drop.
That is in the end just masked spam, so useless...
lazyreadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:42 AM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyreadr View Post
Spam is unsolicited mail. A newsletter you signed up for is not spam.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:09 PM   #21
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyreadr View Post
I did that only once and came to regret very fast and blocked the sender-email then fast. Wouldn't do it again. If all that you are after is the free ebook, you can probably obtain that almost easier in a different way and if anyone needs to promote his newsletter with free ebooks they are likely using it as a pure marketing drop.
Writers have to do something to promote themselves so that their books (and careers) don't sink out of sight. Now that social media outlets have flailed, many are going back to newsletters. Also, many readers want to get author newsletters so that they can keep up with their favorite writers.

I've gotten some author newsletters that turned out to be annoying -- because they sent something once a day or more often.

Most authors know better. They know that if they send a newsletter each day, people are going to unsubscribe and stop buying their books. They know sending too many e-mails comes across as desperation.

Most of the authors I know send their newsletter once a week or even once a month (if that), and they provide something of added value -- essays, witty stuff, reviews of tea, or whatever. They are also very careful of their subscriber lists (they don't sell or give away your e-mail addresses, for example).

It's not "masked spam" unless the author signs you up without your permission. Then, it's spam period.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote