Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-26-2023, 02:42 AM   #31
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
Downloadable now in the MacOS app store ...
Awesome!

I just downloaded it. It replaced the Kindle beta I was testing.

It did not touch the old Kindle for Mac 1.40.1 that I have installed. Both are running independently of each other on my Mac. Hopefully that will continue indefinitely.

Also, my personal docs are now KFX!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:41 AM   #32
monoxdd
monoxdd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Awesome!

I just downloaded it. It replaced the Kindle beta I was testing.

It did not touch the old Kindle for Mac 1.40.1 that I have installed. Both are running independently of each other on my Mac. Hopefully that will continue indefinitely.

Also, my personal docs are now KFX!
can you share screenshots plz?
monoxdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:55 PM   #33
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxdd View Post
can you share screenshots plz?
You can just go to App Store and see some there.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:25 PM   #34
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A few rough edges:
  • The media controls on my Magic Keyboard do not control playback of audiobook in immersion reading. The media player thing in System Tray does control playback, but icon does not toggle between Play to Pause.
  • If cursor is over the app window, I'd like it to fade away until it is moved (which is what happens on iPadOS when you use a trackpad or mouse). I prefer keyboard cursor to mouse clicks to turn pages.
  • Moving cursor off app window to get it out of the way causes various issues depending on how you move it off the app window. moving to right or left makes a page turn indicator turn on and it remains there even as you turn pages with cursor keys (the indicators are useless, you don't need to click on them to turn pages, it is the expected tap zones). If you go up or down it reveals reading options and you can no longer turn pages with keyboard.
  • When you download a PDF the thumbnail changes from PDF to DOC. (Note that personal documents that started life as PDF downloaded as Print Replica KFX now, you can annotate them sync with the other Kindle apps and Scribe. Yay!)
  • Speaking of Print Replica support, it needs to support facing pages mode (it didn't with Kindle Classic either).
I'll get used to it, and might even read some books. It's better than what it replaced.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-26-2023 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 04:59 PM   #35
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Also got it. Love that the PDF personal docs sync with Scribe and honestly I am just happy that I can now organise my collections on my computer… overall a good improvement (with some room for improvement)
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 07:52 PM   #36
RichardSedai
RichardSedai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Mac/iDevice/PC
I just downloaded this new version but it doesn't seem to store the cover jpgs the same way as the old version did. I found a folder with pngs instead of jpgs and they even had new alphanumeric names than the old jpg covers. I tried replacing the crap Amazon covers on one of the new pngs and it crashed my app and won't let me restart it. Has anyone had any luck loading custom covers? It pisses me off that Amazon keeps changing content I purchased without my permission. I wish it were possible to do a class action lawsuit against them over it.
RichardSedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:14 PM   #37
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

At least for the foreseeable future, you can keep Kindle Classic around to do whatever you are used to doing with it.

The new app lets you read your purchased (and personal document) content, and that is all it is designed to do. It doesn't appear to allow side loading of anything (even the iOS app allows this), but perhaps someone will discover how to do it.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-28-2023 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:26 PM   #38
monoxdd
monoxdd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSedai View Post
I just downloaded this new version but it doesn't seem to store the cover jpgs the same way as the old version did. I found a folder with pngs instead of jpgs and they even had new alphanumeric names than the old jpg covers. I tried replacing the crap Amazon covers on one of the new pngs and it crashed my app and won't let me restart it. Has anyone had any luck loading custom covers? It pisses me off that Amazon keeps changing content I purchased without my permission. I wish it were possible to do a class action lawsuit against them over it.
Read the terms and conditions. I don´t own your books.

Kindle Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider. The Content Provider may include additional terms for use within its Kindle Content. Those terms will also apply, but this Agreement will govern in the event of a conflict. Some Kindle Content, such as interactive or highly formatted content, may not be available to you on all Kindle Software.

Limitations. Unless specifically indicated otherwise, you may not sell, rent, lease, distribute, broadcast, sublicense, or otherwise assign any rights to the Kindle Content or any portion of it to any third party, and you may not remove or modify any proprietary notices or labels on the Kindle Content. In addition, you may not attempt to bypass, modify, defeat, or otherwise circumvent any digital rights management system or other content protection or features used as part of the Service.
monoxdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 01:32 AM   #39
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon posted a new Help Page for Kindle for Mac: https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/arp/B0C9PRPV28

It's strange and interesting that the new Kindle for Mac is an Intel app when the beta was Silicon. But that's good news for owners of older Macs. You do need macOS 11 (Big Sur) or higher.

Support for the old Kindle for Mac (now called Kindle Classic) is now ending "by Oct 31" (previously they just said "by October").

Kindle for Mac 1.40.1 can no longer be downloaded from Amazon's website. When you click on the Download for PC & Mac button, it redirects you to the Mac App Store.

We'll see if "no longer supported" means 1.40.1 stops working altogether, or it just won't receive further updates
Old 09-29-2023, 07:41 AM   #40
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
It's strange and interesting that the new Kindle for Mac is an Intel app when the beta was Silicon.
Interesting. Building for one CPU or the other is trivial. Maybe the choice was that ARM Macs can run Intel binaries but Intel Macs can't run ARM binaries?
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 01:18 PM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Amazon posted a new Help Page for Kindle for Mac: https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/arp/B0C9PRPV28

Kindle for Mac 1.40.1 can no longer be downloaded from Amazon's website. When you click on the Download for PC & Mac button, it redirects you to the Mac App Store.
The .dmg download stopped working awhile ago (at least a couple of months).
Old 09-29-2023, 02:47 PM   #42
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The .dmg download stopped working awhile ago (at least a couple of months).
Not for me. I've been testing the download every few days to see if it will give me 1.40.2, but it always gives me 1.40.1.

I downloaded KindleForMac-installer-1.40.65626.dmg as recently as 2 days ago (9/27).
Old 09-29-2023, 02:53 PM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Not for me. I've been testing the download every few days to see if it will give me 1.40.2, but it always gives me 1.40.1.

I downloaded KindleForMac-installer-1.40.65626.dmg as recently as 2 days ago (9/27).
Downloading KindleForMac-installer-1.40.65626.dmg worked for me today using a Mac VM and amazon.ca.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:16 PM   #44
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
Interesting. Building for one CPU or the other is trivial. Maybe the choice was that ARM Macs can run Intel binaries but Intel Macs can't run ARM binaries?
New Kindle for Mac version 6.85.3 in App Store is now a Universal app, running natively on both Silicon and Intel.

Last edited by odamizu; 10-24-2023 at 02:36 PM.