Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-02-2019, 02:00 AM   #16
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
You can't edit tags on the Pocketbook devices directly. You would need to do that on the computer with a program like Calibre.
Koreader also works on Pocketbooks, BTW, it's a little slow, though.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #17
Ebosu
Ebosu began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902
Thank you for the warning, that's really important information.

My country isn't even listed on that authorized sellers page. I contacted Kobo support through chat and they said that they don't deliver outside those listed countries either, so I guess that means no Kobo for me. I've had bad experiences with ereaders needing warranty replacement, so not going to buy without warranty. Kobo was my favorite option, so that sucks. =/

How is the Onyx Nova Pro at tags/collections? And just how bad is "shorter battery life" really?

How does the Inkpad handle collections? Its manual says they're possible within the device without Calibre, so I'd love to hear how well that works.

Last edited by Ebosu; 04-02-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Ebosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #18
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
I'm an Onyx Note plus owner and loving it. Okay, so it isn't the latest version of Android and it sure can't run the latest games but it's an e-reader most of the time and a good one at that. It is light and the battery lasts for days (well for me at least!). The later Onyx devices have backlights (the pro) but I don't miss that as I also have a Mi Pad 4 Android tablet that is 10 inch and use that for photo/magazine reading, or for after dark reading if I need it. The Mi battery is huge and lasts for days as well. I have a few old Kobos but the Note display blows them all away in size and quality. There seems to be a big gap in the market for a reasonably priced 8inch reader, the Onyx is really the only one I would go with as 7 inches or less is no good for me as I read a lot of PDFs. The Mi tablet is of course cheaper than the Onyx, but weighs 700g vs Onyx 500g (in their plastic cases).

My first Note had battery issues and so I pinged Onyx and got reasonable support but sent the device back to Amazon anyway under their 30 day return period and got a Note plus instead (which is marginally better looking)

Calibre is immensely powerful, and definitely worth you looking into again. Tagging is really easy, you can reorganise your tags, group documents together to tag, categorize and so forth. I can understand if you want to work a particular way with folders, but I encourage you to download it and give it a spin - it doesn't cost anything, and you don't have to destroy your library to import it to Calibre and try organising it. You would be best served by putting your library on a PC or server and tagging on that, then upload to whatever device you have. That way, if your device drops dead, which they tend to do, given that they are cobbled together on the cheap... you won't lose your content. My library lives on a NAS drive and I map to it from a PC and tag/categorize to my hearts content on that. Calibre allows you to strip and re-apply tags etc in bulk which makes this process very easy. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to do with your collection as it is well structured. mine is very random with all sorts of stuff in it. I've never done any tagging on the Onyx, only on the PC because it's much quicker and easier to do...
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:43 AM   #19
Ebosu

Thanks for the reply. A battery that lasts for days sounds really short tbh. My current device lasts for weeks before I need to charge it, depending on use of course. Not sure if that's a deal breaker, but it is very unfortunate.

As for Calibre, I do have it for the very rare times I need to convert a file. I just don't like using it and honestly, I don't want tags badly enough to put up with the bother. That's why I'd prefer to do it on the device itself, and I'd love any feedback on how collections work on Onyx Nova Pro and Pocketbook Inkpad 3.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebosu View Post
Thanks for the reply. A battery that lasts for days sounds really short tbh. My current device lasts for weeks before I need to charge it, depending on use of course. Not sure if that's a deal breaker, but it is very unfortunate.

As for Calibre, I do have it for the very rare times I need to convert a file. I just don't like using it and honestly, I don't want tags badly enough to put up with the bother. That's why I'd prefer to do it on the device itself, and I'd love any feedback on how collections work on Onyx Nova Pro and Pocketbook Inkpad 3.
Is your current device Android based? Typically Android OS uses more power than a pure Linux OS. You will get more battery life if you shut down background processes that are not needed.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #21
Ebosu

My current device is a Pocketbook Pro 912. I have no experience with Android devices, so that's why I was asking for clarification on that. "Shorter battery life" doesn't really mean much, since that's such a wide range of possibilities. Battery life that's counted in days instead of weeks is a much more useful measurement and massively shorter than I'm used to. I think that alone makes me lean more towards a Pocketbook Inkpad 3.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
My current device is a Pocketbook Pro 912. I have no experience with Android devices, so that's why I was asking for clarification on that. "Shorter battery life" doesn't really mean much, since that's such a wide range of possibilities. Battery life that's counted in days instead of weeks is a much more useful measurement and massively shorter than I'm used to. I think that alone makes me lean more towards a Pocketbook Inkpad 3.
There are two aspects to consider with battery life:

1. How rapidly the battery drains when you’re using the device.
2. How rapidly the battery drains when you’re not using the device.

Linux and Android are similar for point 1, but very different for point 2. A Linux-based reader can “go to sleep” when not in use and use minimal power. The battery charge on my Kindle Oasis will drain by around 1% in 24h if I don’t use it, for example. Android devices use a LOT more power when “asleep” because there’s a lot more going on. You can switch them off if you’re not using them, rather than letting them go to sleep, but then you have to wait for them to reboot, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:35 AM   #23
Ebosu

Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense. I think I'll steer clear of Android devices then, since there are times when I don't read much and would probably forget to charge it for way too long. As I understand things, it's not good to let the battery go completely empty.

I'll probably visit a store that has Inkpads in stock sometime next week. Hopefully they'll let me open up the packaging and play with one for a bit. If it seems decent I'll buy one.

Thank you for all the help and advice.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #24
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
How does the Inkpad handle collections? Its manual says they're possible within the device without Calibre, so I'd love to hear how well that works.
It's fairly easy to add a book to a collection. You long-press (library view), click "add to collections", pick the collections, or create a new, and you are done.

But I'm spoiled by Kobo. I have all books in collections in Calibre, and that gets transfered automatically with Kobo. On my Pocketbook I just skip collections and keep fewer books on the reader.

Maybe I'm just more used to Kobo, I love reading on the Inkpad 3, but the software and managing of books on Kobo fits me much better.

"Library view" on Kobo just sort of work, it show the latest added or read in an ordered list. On Pocketbook I'm still not sure what it's doing... thus me keeping as few books as possible on it...

(For the money, Inkpad 3 is a fantastic device. I would prefer a Forma, but that would currently be >60% more money than I payed for the Inkpad 3 (in my country).)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #25
Ebosu

I would have preferred a Kobo too, but they're not sold in my country.

It's not worth giving up warranty to order it from Amazon.

Sounds like Inkpad 3 would suit me pretty well. That's exactly the kind of collection management I was looking for. It's a pity the physical buttons aren't better placed, but that's a minor grumble. Hopefully I'll get to test it this week.