Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 01:53 AM   #16
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'd enjoy the 505 for now and wait awhile and see what pans out for the Kindle II. In essence its totally new design from the original Kindle. Lets see what folks say about it
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
tomby
tomby began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle 2 is the ticket but don't get too pumped over the "read to me" feature. A robot reading a romance novel can't be good.
tomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I have the PRS-505. In your shoes, I would buy the Kindle. The reason I prefer the Kindle, (and the PRS-505), over the Prs-700 is because I hate the touch screen. Yes it's handy, but anything I want to do, including turning pages, will just dirty the screen. I don't rub my fingers all over my glasses, nor do I want to dirty the screen I am reading from. I think Sony really f***ed up when they decided to release the 700 as a touch screen. It's a case of too much technology interfering with what I really want to do: read a book.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #19
benisntfunny
I'm Perfect
benisntfunny began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I have the PRS-505. In your shoes, I would buy the Kindle. The reason I prefer the Kindle, (and the PRS-505), over the Prs-700 is because I hate the touch screen. Yes it's handy, but anything I want to do, including turning pages, will just dirty the screen. I don't rub my fingers all over my glasses, nor do I want to dirty the screen I am reading from. I think Sony really f***ed up when they decided to release the 700 as a touch screen. It's a case of too much technology interfering with what I really want to do: read a book.
There are buttons to do the page turning on the device. The touch screen can be used only when needed for functions like annotating and searching. Stuff I'd rarely do and I'm glad there's a touch screen for this functionality rather than cluttering the device up with buttons I'll rarely use.
benisntfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by persiphone View Post
I am the proud owner of a prs-505 and extremely excited about the new releases. I am wanting one or the other, but unsure of which one I would like the most. First off, huge fan of calibre and I use it to convert all my files so I can read them on my 505, so I know that I will need that program still if it will work with the Kindle 2 and 700...so that's first. I have a ton of books that I read but mainly romance novels (dirty grin), I would love to have a clock somewhere on the main screen so that I know how many hours have passed, I would also love like a calendar feature or something like that if it's possible with either one of these products, does anyone know if its possible to put like a calendar on either one of these or if it might have that feature? That would definitely make it a selling point for me, because then I wouldn't have to carry a PDA and my ebook reader. And also, about the read back feature on the K2 will it work for other formats of books aside from the books from amazon? Anyway, I would greatly appreciate all advice thank you....oh and maker of calibre....YOU ROCK
Based on your interest I'd recommend the K2. If you plan on reading a lot of PDF, taking highlighting and zooming. I think the 700 is a better choice. However from your interests and genre I thin the K2 will suite you better. In addition buying a K2 will give you access to Amzon's content

I use the text-to-speech(read to me) on my laptop, when working out at home or commuting to work. It's actually a great feature and I think it's awesome that the K2 has built this into their reader. I bought an FM transmitter to 3.5mm jack and plug the transmitter to the laptop, BlackBerry Storm, etc. to listen through my car stereo.

Oh and I guess the last option is to stick with the PRS-505, the 505 is a great devices and unless you really need/desire annotation or text-to-speech there is no real reason to upgrade

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote