Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
~DS has adverse effect on battery!

Contrary to what people believed, ~DS actually works adversely on the battery on a few kindle devices.
Since I've only owned the Paperwhite and the Oasis, I can't say for the older Kindle models.

If ~DS works on the kindle fire tablet, it would definitely drain the battery, no doubt about it!

On the Kindle Paperwhite, the ~DS also reduces battery life, since the Paperwhite can't fully turn off the screen light; and thus the light stays on draining battery in the process of it being unused; much more than it would with loading different ads on the device.

I actually expected that ~DS would reduce battery life if the screen light remains always on.
And I can understand that with wifi on, the device continues to poll the network (since it's in active mode), and thus decreases battery levels that way.

But my results with the Oasis leaves me a bit puzzled,
I mean, the screen light goes off completely (at least that's what I believe); and it has an airplane mode.

Without disabling the screensaver (~DS), my Oasis drains about 2-5% a day; screen light off, airplane mode on.

Yesterday I enabled ~DS, in an effort to save battery, however, today (18 hours later), the battery went down from 95% to 61%. That's a decrease of 34%.

I didn't expect those battery results, and would wonder why?
Perhaps it's the touch screen that remains active?

And if it affects other devices as well?

Since I have the paperwhite, and the Oasis, I can only verify the results on those devices.

I presume the same would happen to most other kindles, save perhaps for the older models, that don't have a touch screen (like the DX or older models) or something?
Not sure how it'd affect the older models.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Contrary to what people believed, ~DS actually works adversely on the battery on a few kindle devices.
Since I've only owned the Paperwhite and the Oasis, I can't say for the older Kindle models.

If ~DS works on the kindle fire tablet, it would definitely drain the battery, no doubt about it!

On the Kindle Paperwhite, the ~DS also reduces battery life, since the Paperwhite can't fully turn off the screen light; and thus the light stays on draining battery in the process of it being unused; much more than it would with loading different ads on the device.

I actually expected that ~DS would reduce battery life if the screen light remains always on.
And I can understand that with wifi on, the device continues to poll the network (since it's in active mode), and thus decreases battery levels that way.

But my results with the Oasis leaves me a bit puzzled,
I mean, the screen light goes off completely (at least that's what I believe); and it has an airplane mode.

Without disabling the screensaver (~DS), my Oasis drains about 2-5% a day; screen light off, airplane mode on.

Yesterday I enabled ~DS, in an effort to save battery, however, today (18 hours later), the battery went down from 95% to 61%. That's a decrease of 34%.

I didn't expect those battery results, and would wonder why?
Perhaps it's the touch screen that remains active?

And if it affects other devices as well?

Since I have the paperwhite, and the Oasis, I can only verify the results on those devices.

I presume the same would happen to most other kindles, save perhaps for the older models, that don't have a touch screen (like the DX or older models) or something?
Not sure how it'd affect the older models.
Who said ~ds doesn't affect battery life.

~ds disables sleep, so of course the battery runs down faster.

Normal sleep turns the frontlihgt off, so disabling sleep with the frontlight on drains the battery even faster.

This is all expected.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:24 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Why do you think that ~DS would save battery power? Disabling the screensaver surely has to increase power consumption, because it's stopping the device from going to sleep.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
If you look at the mobileread wiki page, it has been mentioned that ~DS might increase battery life.
The wiki was written for the older Kindles that didn't have a touch screen, nor screen light.
On those devices, there is a possibility that the device would last longer, not shorter, when disabling the screen saver, with the only reason that the device is consuming power, while refreshing the ads or pictures on the screen.
While having the device in ~DS mode, the cpu won't throttle up to change screen content, but remains in a permanent sleep mode.
Older devices with ~DS enabled, will show the last read page on their screen, before entering the same sleep mode as the devices that are entering into screen saver mode, with the only difference that they don't regularly refresh the screen for new content.

It also was thought that when running a device in sleep mode, the device would connect to a wireless signal (3g or wifi), on a regular basis, to download new ads (if you have an ad version).
This assessment might also not be true, but not a lot of research has been done to verify if the ad based devices download ad content while sleeping, or not.

Last edited by ProDigit; 01-25-2018 at 07:37 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
If you look at the mobileread wiki page, it has been mentioned that ~DS might increase battery life.
URL for that wiki page, please.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote