Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 07-11-2015, 05:36 AM   #1
senhal
Connoisseur
senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle NT
Apostrophes and italian spell-check

All the words with the apostrophe are seen as errors, but only with this kind of apostrophe: .

Apostrophes are very common in italian language, so I always get a huge list of errors. I tried to replace ’ with ', but apostrophes are used also in non-text parts and sometimes it's a mess...

Is it possibile to fix this?
senhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Paulie_D
Connoisseur
Paulie_D began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Tab 4
Are you using an italian dictionary?
Paulie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've recently learned about the

Code:
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
in the content.opf file. Changing it to en-GB made a lot of my UK English books cleaner as far as spell check was concerned

If you change (if necessary) it to

Code:
<dc:language>it</dc:language>

I wonder if it'd make a difference?

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_language_codes.asp

Last edited by phossler; 07-11-2015 at 10:13 PM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:27 AM   #4
senhal
Connoisseur
senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.

Thanks for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie_D View Post
Are you using an italian dictionary?
Yes, this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
If you change (if necessary) it to
Code:
<dc:language>it</dc:language>
I wonder if it'd make a difference?
Yes, italian language is correctly set on metadata.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Can you open a bug report and I will look into it when I have some time. It may be that ICU, the library calibre uses to break text into words is breaking words at that kind of apostrophe.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
senhal
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Can you open a bug report and I will look into it when I have some time. It may be that ICU, the library calibre uses to break text into words is breaking words at that kind of apostrophe.
Done, thank you.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1474353
Old 05-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
Monnalisasmile
Monnalisasmile began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin App on iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hi, and thanks for the amazing software you made!
I was wondering where to find the Calibre folder on my MacOS El Capitan. Because I have an italian dictionary I'd like to put in instead of the one Senhal was talking about but I can't find the folder. He told me that on Snow Leopard it was in Library --> Preferences --> Calibre but I have no such folder as Calibre in there, not even making visible every invisible file and folder...

You sure know better than anyone else so I went directly to the source!

Thanks in advance!!
Monnalisasmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monnalisasmile View Post
Hi, and thanks for the amazing software you made!
I was wondering where to find the Calibre folder on my MacOS El Capitan. Because I have an italian dictionary I'd like to put in instead of the one Senhal was talking about but I can't find the folder. He told me that on Snow Leopard it was in Library --> Preferences --> Calibre but I have no such folder as Calibre in there, not even making visible every invisible file and folder...

You sure know better than anyone else so I went directly to the source!

Thanks in advance!!
Dictionaries and many other things are Library independent

There are 3 basic parts to Calibre:
1) The program, which the normally does not touch. Updates overwrite this
2) USER settings (preferences), where user additions and overrides DO get placed. Survives updates and simple uninstalls
3)Libraries (1 or more), where custom columns,and other Per Library items are kept (metadata.db and BOOKS ) Never deleted after creation without direct user action

Preferences: Miscellaneous: Open Calibre Configuration Directory (Button):
The dictionaries folder is what you want
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:36 AM   #9
Monnalisasmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Preferences: Miscellaneous: Open Calibre Configuration Directory (Button):
The dictionaries folder is what you want
Senhal helped me with that and I managed to find the directory.
Anyway I had to hard reset Calibre in order to add any dictionary because it wouldn't add it and froze the editor. I went around it by installing 1.48 in parallel to 2.56, add the dictionary and then delete 1.48. This way when I opened 2.56 the dictionary was there.
When I hard reset though I was able to add the dictionary without any problem.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monnalisasmile View Post
Senhal helped me with that and I managed to find the directory.
Anyway I had to hard reset Calibre in order to add any dictionary because it wouldn't add it and froze the editor. I went around it by installing 1.48 in parallel to 2.56, add the dictionary and then delete 1.48. This way when I opened 2.56 the dictionary was there.
When I hard reset though I was able to add the dictionary without any problem.

Folder locking issues usually mean the OS thinks something is still using the folder.

When you want to tamper with configuration items, it is a good practice to have the app shut down. (Some even write their current settings at close, stomping on user edits)

It would help the USER if I gave good advice on how you should add a dictionary to current versions

Edit-Book has its own way of managing dictionaries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	User Dict.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	148633  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #11
Monnalisasmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Folder locking issues usually mean the OS thinks something is still using the folder.

When you want to tamper with configuration items, it is a good practice to have the app shut down. (Some even write their current settings at close, stomping on user edits)

It would help the USER if I gave good advice on how you should add a dictionary to current versions

Edit-Book has its own way of managing dictionaries.
I couldn't even get to the part where I would tamper with the configuration...
I used the window you posted but it would freeze and wouldn't upload the new dictionary.
Now that I reset Calibre everything is working just fine, I could even upload a different dictionary that fixed the apostrophes problem, so, for me, the issue is solved.