Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #31
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
20-30 seconds seems excessive. 2-3 would be normal and has pretty much always been the case. I dont see that long a delay with the beta though, and I can't think of anything in the beta that could cause it either. What OS?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #32
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Windows 10.

I didn't use Calibre this morning before re-installing Beta, but yesterday there was the normal occasional delay every so often, I never counted the delay. Usually it would open in just a few seconds. This morning it's every book, so I've taken the time to count...Just me counting in my head (so it's iffy accuracy LOL), I've counted anywhere from 22 to 26.

I'm going to restart my computer, just in case. Who knows, it might help?
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works just as before for me on win 10. Anybody else seeing this on win10?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #34
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Okay. After restarting computer, I tried 'Edit book' took between 15 and 20 seconds to load, but it didn't say 'Not Responding' or initially open and then gray out while loading. The next one I opened, it was the regular 2-5 delay before the edit window opens and loaded immediately.

I then found a larger one, and it waited the 2-5 seconds (normal) but when edit window opened, it grayed out and stayed with 'Opening book, please wait' for 15 to 20 seconds. I opened a couple of others after that, they opened normally. While typing this, I left it, and just now tried a smaller book. It opened the edit window after the normal delay, then it was grayed out with 'Opening book, please wait' and 'Not Responding' for 15-20 seconds.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I had ten minutes, so I ported Generate Cover. Note I have only ported the code, not tested it (beyond that it runs). So someone that uses it should test it. Note that this plugin will not work with non-beta/older versions of calibre, as I lack the time/motivation to implement backward compatibility. If someone wants to implement backward comapatibilty the easiest way would be rename draw.py to draw2.py and conditionally import it based on calibre version.
Did you see JimmXinu and I encouraging the other to do it? Thanks for putting us out of our misery
Quote:
EDIT : never mind, I implemented backwards compatibility as well
I happened to have a 1.48 portable installation. It didn't load there. It needed the conditional load in dialogs.py as well. The attached version works with both 1.48 and the beta.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Generate Cover.zip (52.8 KB, 127 views)
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #36
MerlinMama
Evangelist

After a system restore (and near total computer failure because of the system restore!), would I still be using Beta, or would it be the regular? I'm leaning towards beta, since I have the Cover Generator with the changes you made?

Anyway, after the above "system restore -> Windows Failure -> Automatic PC Repair -> that didn't work so let's try System Restore again fiasco" there are no more delays with Edit book (I tried nearly a dozen and all were regular 2-5 seconds).

Tonight they're do any automatic Windows updates I undid with the system restore, so we'll see what happens then and go from there.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #37
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you see JimmXinu and I encouraging the other to do it? Thanks for putting us out of our misery
Yeah, the squirrels got to me
Old 05-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #38
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Scratch that...still delays, although not ALL of them. I went to the VL I was working in, and it is delaying. Other VL is not. Must have done something to those when fixing the font problem. I'll examine that then...
Old 05-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@MerlinMama: Yeah, according to davidfor, I missed a place in making the plugin backward compatible, so if it was running, you were likely using the beta.

You can always check for sure by looking for the file calibre-file-dialogs.exe in the calibre installation folder. If it is there you are running the beta, if not, regular calibre.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Works just as before for me on win 10. Anybody else seeing this on win10?
Nope
Just updated a cover as a test. seemed normal to me.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #41
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Really, really sorry, but another 'thing' came up.

I have one book with an extremely long title (used 3 lines), but when I use Generate Cover, it keeps it all on one line, so I only get part of the title.

Under the Desert Sky: Otherwise known as: The Exceptional Effects of Rainwater on Parched Sands!

only shows as

known as: The Exceptional Effect

and the rest is off the sides. I know this is extreme, but there must be others that are more than just one line.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Here you go
Attached Files
File Type: zip Generate Cover.zip (179.2 KB, 121 views)
Old 05-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #43
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Thanks, hopefully I won't bother you again!
Old 05-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #44
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Yeah, the squirrels got to me
Obscure humor FTW!

I figured it would be fairly straightforward for someone who knows what they're doing with the graphics packages. And I knew that someone wasn't me.

I'm running from the github master and the last posted GC version is working fine for me. Many thanks.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #45
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
versioning

Version 2.56 is the beta version? Why isn't called 3.0beta or something?
Geremia is offline   Reply With Quote