Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
8" or 9" ereader wanted

I've had several ereaders, all 6 or 7" - both sizes too small as I'm a very fast reader - got tired of constantly going to another page. My most recent small one was the Nook Color. I then went to the Sony Tablet S - but, it is just a bit too big to carry around. So, I'm looking for an 8" or possibly 9" reader. I would like the screen to be lcd as I read a lot at night. I thought the Archos 80 g9 was perfect until it died one week after purchase - however the size was exactly right.

Any help would be most appreciated. I like color and I like Android, but neither is a requirement.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
I would like to recommend you the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. It has all your needs and requirements. Although, in my opinion the Tab 7.7 is much better choice. It's lighter, the AMOLED screen is beautiful, the color more vivid and sharper.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
TonyGamble
Groupie
TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Can you see your 7.7 in the sunshine?

My Samsung S2 phone is supposed to have an AMOLED screen and it is almost impossible to dial a number let alone read an email.

Tony
TonyGamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGamble View Post
Can you see your 7.7 in the sunshine?

Tony
Here's a quick snap on how it looks at bright sunshine. The setting is on full brightness. Let it speak for itself.

I took it at 8 Megapixel, and resize for 800x600. Otherwise, it's untouched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full brightness resize.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	91564  
Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
TonyGamble
Groupie
TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hapmas,

Well that is jolly impressive. What put me off is :-

This review "http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R10HJBXRB8EOM/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R10HJBXRB8EOM"

and my experience with the S2 Samsung cellphone.

But I do know of someone living in Israel who also uses hers outdoors and she's happy.

Tony
Old 08-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
hapmas77
Connoisseur

HI Tony,
I read the review in the amazon link you gave me. Actually I'm little bit confused with it. I prepared a little video on the performance of my tab 7.7.
There's no lag between screen (although I admit that when I rotate it, the icons took some time to appear).

I also do some test on the front camera by wiggling my finger. For me the delay is quite reasonable for a front camera. You won't take picture with it anyway.
Then I do test on the volume button. The up is up, and the down is down, unlike what the reviewer said.
All in all, I'm very happy with my tab 7.7.

here's the link:
http://youtu.be/KaXuH9PvD7g

Cheers!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
TonyGamble
Groupie

Thanks hapmas

Sadly there don't seem to be any 7.7's in the shops here. As my one worry would be visibility I'd be reluctant to buy one by mail order.

But that poster may have been over critical about lots of things, I guess.

Tony
Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapmas77 View Post
I would like to recommend you the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. It has all your needs and requirements. Although, in my opinion the Tab 7.7 is much better choice. It's lighter, the AMOLED screen is beautiful, the color more vivid and sharper.
Thanks, I didn't know they made a 7.7! A bit pricey at Amazon, but I think you're right in that it might be perfect for me. I had thought about the 8.9, but it is only 1/2 inch smaller than my Sony, so it might still be too large for traveling around. Appreciate your help.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote