Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
New DX in August?

Hello everybody,

I have a PRS 505 which I love, but the screen is too small for some of my needs (tables, code examples, figures and the like). So I was seriously considering purchasing Kindle DX, but then I read that Amazon is rumored to release Shasta on August.

What's your take - will there be a large screen DX like Shasta on August? Should I wait?

Avi
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Maybe.

But seeing as how they are pricing the Kindle 2 to sell, I'm more inclined to think the Kindle 3 will come out very soon
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Well I think the drop in the pricing had a lot to do with B&N dropping their pricing. They have to stay competitive in their market
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio6414 View Post
Well I think the drop in the pricing had a lot to do with B&N dropping their pricing. They have to stay competitive in their market
I've been reading from a few sites that Amazon was planning on doing the cut anyway, but decided to push it forward when B&N made the cut first.

I really want to see a Kindle 3 though.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

So, you're saying that the new product on August would be the Kindle 3, and it would have a big DX like screen?
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Lots of rumors flying but if the new Kindle has a 24 inch screen I'm not interested, too big for the beach
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

Of course, but if it has 11" I'll certainly be.

And, with 24", you'll be a sensation on he beach. You'll be forced to stop reading and start interacting with people (hmm... girls?)

You know what, suddely 24" do start to sound interesting
Old 06-30-2010, 04:53 AM   #8
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
well, do I hear girls say size does not matter?
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

OK, now they have the Graphite DX, but does this preclude an August large screen Kindle 3?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

I would think so. Except that they have envisaged the large screen Kindle 3 for a premium segment, with corresponding price differential.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

I'm sorry, but my English is not perfect.

Do I understand you correctly, that you belive that they have lowered the DX's price in the Graphite, so they can offer a more expensive large screen DX 3 on August?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
eLiNK
Addict

It's all speculation on my part but yes, IF we see a large screen Kindle 3 in August 2010, then it would have to offer much more than the July version, with corresponding pricing.

But personally, I do not believe we'll see a significant update for Kindle DX so soon.
Alas.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
BenLee
eReader Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
It's all speculation on my part but yes, IF we see a large screen Kindle 3 in August 2010, then it would have to offer much more than the July version, with corresponding pricing.

But personally, I do not believe we'll see a significant update for Kindle DX so soon.
Alas.
Hmm.. why do you think the Kindle 3 will be a large screen? Seems more likely they will keep the Kindle [number] models highly portable at 6" and then have the DX remain the large-screen alternative.

Kindle 3 as a 6-7" device with updated screen technology would be a good next step.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

I'm sorry, but I wasn't clear. Let's call Kindle and DX the two latest incarnations of two Amazon reader product lines, with a 6" and 9" screens, correspondingly. Currently the Kindle is (I believe) at version 2.5, and as of next week the DX will be at version "Graphite"

Now, supposing there's a new Kindle on July, with new features such as an updated screen technology (above the contrast improvement that exists in DX version Graphite). The question is if there'll be a corresponding DX product, newer (and probably more expensive) than the Graphite, which will contain these feature on July.

I would buy the Graphite today but I'd rather buy a newer DX with better display on July. Even if the latter is more expensive.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Hmm.. why do you think the Kindle 3 will be a large screen? Seems more likely they will keep the Kindle [number] models highly portable at 6" and then have the DX remain the large-screen alternative.

Kindle 3 as a 6-7" device with updated screen technology would be a good next step.
I don't.
I just answered using (admittedly incorrect) avinatbezeq' terminology.

It was clear from the context that he meant the Kindle DX with the next generation e-ink display.