Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #1
schwarzmalerin
schwarzmalerin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Greek dictionary?

Does anyone know how to get a Greek dictionary for the Kindle? I use the Voyage with the latest version. It can be either online or offline and I'm willing to pay.
schwarzmalerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarzmalerin View Post
Does anyone know how to get a Greek dictionary for the Kindle? I use the Voyage with the latest version. It can be either online or offline and I'm willing to pay.
If you're looking for an Ancient Greek dictionary, you might find the Liddell & Scott: An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon helpful.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #3
schwarzmalerin

Umm nope, I'm learning modern Greek and want to read books.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How about this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Gree.../dp/B07BJL4WQF
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
According to the reviews, it doesn't work with eInk Kindles...
Advert
Old 03-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
schwarzmalerin

It needs to integrate into the Kindle like English does. My native tongue is German. I use an English dictionary all the time. You hold a word and you see the translation. I need this for Greek. If it's Greek to English I'm ok with it.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:49 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It needs to integrate into the Kindle like English does. My native tongue is German. I use an English dictionary all the time. You hold a word and you see the translation. I need this for Greek. If it's Greek to English I'm ok with it.
If you have the necessary computer skills and manage to find both a Greek->English/German word list and a file that contains all possible inflections for Greek words, you could generate your own Modern Greek dictionary following the instructions on this website.

However, in my experience most free dictionaries simply don't contain enough entries to be useful. They also usually don't contain inflected entries as headwords.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:12 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It says it does. At the price it's worth trying. You can always return it for a refund if it doesn't work.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:57 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
According to the reviews, it doesn't work with eInk Kindles...
According to the only sensible review, it does. For Greek books. What it can't do is work to give a definition for a Greek word that appears in an English (or other language) book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
schwarzmalerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If you have the necessary computer skills and manage to find both a Greek->English/German word list and a file that contains all possible inflections for Greek words, you could generate your own Modern Greek dictionary following the instructions on this website.

However, in my experience most free dictionaries simply don't contain enough entries to be useful. They also usually don't contain inflected entries as headwords.
Naa, I don't have these skills. I have different skills, that's why I pay for software 😁. I will try to get the book mentioned above. I'm not sure if I can buy from amazon.uk. thank you.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:21 AM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
It says it does. At the price it's worth trying. You can always return it for a refund if it doesn't work.
I tried it (it is in Kindle Unlimited) and it did not function as a translation dictionary, despite the ‘explanatory note’ that would suggest otherwise.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:17 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I tried it (it is in Kindle Unlimited) and it did not function as a translation dictionary, despite the ‘explanatory note’ that would suggest otherwise.
Did you try it with a book whose language identifier was set to Greek? It's only for such books that it'll appear as a dictionary.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:14 AM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Does it at least show up in the dictionary list, when you tap the triangle after the dictionary name to open the Select New Dictionary window?

Quote:
Did you try it with a book whose language identifier was set to Greek? It's only for such books that it'll appear as a dictionary.
You can select dictionaries with source languages that don't match the book language. For example, it's possible to open an English book and select an Italian-English dictionary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dict_test.png
Views:	407
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	170225  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:16 AM   #14
schwarzmalerin

Quote:
Thank you so much for the information.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #15
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Naa, I don't have these skills. I have different skills, that's why I pay for software ��. I will try to get the book mentioned above. I'm not sure if I can buy from amazon.uk. thank you.
You can buy it from Amazon.de too.

https://www.amazon.de/Modern-Greek-D.../dp/B07BJL4WQF
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote