Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-18-2022, 02:54 AM   #1
damian5000
damian5000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Paperwhite Gen 3 goes into USB drive mode when charging

Almost without fail at some point it goes into USB drive mode, has been this way for a long while. Not a huge deal because requires charging so infrequently but still annoying to have to reboot. I was thinking maybe it's the port and to change the port but could also be mainboard issue. Has anyone seen a solution to this??
damian5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:56 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian5000 View Post
Almost without fail at some point it goes into USB drive mode, has been this way for a long while. Not a huge deal because requires charging so infrequently but still annoying to have to reboot. I was thinking maybe it's the port and to change the port but could also be mainboard issue. Has anyone seen a solution to this??
It could be your PW3 thinks the USB charger is a computer USB port or the cable. Try swapping both and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2022, 05:25 AM   #3
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
@damian5000, how about you connect to a USB charger or a powerbank? Not a USB hub nor a PC.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:26 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've chargers that look like a host to a gadget. I don't use them. Also sometimes it's a mistake and sometimes it's a scheme to install malware on specific OS.

You can use a charge only cable (the data wires cut), but then charge might be only 100mA or 500mA as a gadget measures the D+ and D- pins to decide what current is available.

A cable is unlikely to cause this. It's most likely the charger.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #5
damian5000
damian5000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I should have mentioned this happens regardless of cable or charger. I might try a cable with power only if I can find one.
damian5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert